Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

The lower walls are a party wall - it's designed to eventually be covered over. I'm not sure why they bothered with those tiny slit windows - seems like a needless expense.

On second thought - those windows in plan are probably really deceptive to potential homeowners. You might think you're getting an entire wall of glass, and end up with a tiny slit.

From the project database, for comparison:

urbantoronto-3079-8740.jpg

Picasso by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Yep, even if it isn't your cup of tea you have to admit that it's refreshingly different.

On second thought - those windows in plan are probably really deceptive to potential homeowners. You might think you're getting an entire wall of glass, and end up with a tiny slit.

Usually in plans they are indicated as clerestory windows and these windows are typically frosted or obscured glass when along the property line.
Having these slivers of windows is better than a big blank wall, and they do provide some natural light inside (until a building goes up next door).

The podium of Picasso is definitely a weak point of this building. It looks rather big and crude compared to the tower and the balcony openings looks too small and not in the same language as the fenestration of the tower. The top of the tower looks a bit abrupt. If a couple of those protruding boxes could protrude off the top of the building it could be even more dynamic .
But generally speaking this is a stellar building.

I absolutely love how this has turned out. It's a real eye catcher from almost any angle and really stands out on the skyline. The view of it as heading south on St. George is awesome, as is the one looking east from about Queen and Spadina—I'll try to grab some pics from those this weekend.

Back