IMG_0287.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 1,954
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 1,921
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 1,905
I hate to be a pooper about it because I really like the tower but....

How the heck is this monolithic, soul-crushing blank wall considered good design? The tower doesn't excuse this dreadful, nay criminal, gesture at street level. This is pretty much everything I hate about design. A cool concept that is more concerned/impressed with its concept than with the reality of how it exists/functions in its real urban setting, in fact is dismissive of it.

I'm giving this a fail because of the stupid, thoughtless podium. You can't trick me with a fancy bauble on top, as nice as that bauble is.

Yes, it looks good from a distance. So does Aura.

I hate to be a pooper about it because I really like the tower but....

How the heck is this monolithic, soul-crushing blank wall considered good design? The tower doesn't excuse this dreadful, nay criminal, gesture at street level. This is pretty much everything I hate about design. A cool concept that is more concerned/impressed with its concept than with the reality of how it exists/functions in its real urban setting, in fact is dismissive of it.

I'm giving this a fail because of the stupid, thoughtless podium. You can't trick me with a fancy bauble on top, as nice as that bauble is.

Yes, it looks good from a distance. So does Aura.

I can't comment on actual street level, but there is a blank wall because this is going next door: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/330-richmond-was-gloss-condos

It's one of the more decent blank walls built along a property line. It's fairly large which makes it more imposing, but hopefully it will be out of view soon with Gloss going up beside it.

My only issue with building - and I hate bringing it up also since it's a very nice building overall - are the white mullions in the windows within the white cladded areas. Same with the grey mullions but a little less so. I'd prefer darker mullions that match the glass instead of the cladding. It would make the windows pop out more. As is it now, I find the contrast between the white mullions and dark windows to be a little too messy for a tower that has clean and distinct colour separations.

I agree that the podium isn't great from an urban design standpoint, but taking issue with the blank firewall is a waste of your time. It's at the property line, it's a firewall, and as one would expect in an urban setting, a new building is going to abut that wall directly, forever banishing it from view.

I can't comment on actual street level, but there is a blank wall because this is going next door: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/330-richmond-was-gloss-condos

Ah ok, that explains it. I just knew something was off here. Now I can like this building! :)

This building still feels like a white couch to me. You see it in the brochure ... it looks great when you bring it home ... but then in a year or two, you wonder what you were thinking as it hasn't held up well. I hope I'm wrong, but my biggest concern with this building is whether or not it ages well.

It's fairly large which makes it more imposing, but hopefully it will be out of view soon with Gloss going up beside it.

Hopefully? Gloss looks like cheap crap compared to Picasso. Complain all you want about the blank wall, but all you're gonna get out of it is a new blank wall that will probably look even worse than the one it replaced. How is this an improvement?

10519-38038.jpeg

Attachments

• 10519-38038.jpeg
    10519-38038.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,885

Back