Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

Ah so this will be taking up the large parking lot on Bay?

I didn't realize that at first but I walked by and saw the sign. Anyone have any idea how far along the project is at this stage?

That'll be great though -1 on bay - still a few more to go though (mainly to the south!)

good news all around

this is terrific for the city in so many ways

aesthetically, this is definitely going to help clean up bay street. honestly, north of queen, south of say...st. joseph, THIS STREET IS A DUMP. parking lots everywhere, disgusting condos and hotels, dying trees...its not pretty.

more importantly though, i'm so glad to see the huge investment in medicine in this city. the innovation will boost our economy and establish the city as a leader in medicine. canada is not good at innovating but this is a great step in the right direction.

It'll be interesting to see if this is still a go after MARS...

Oh and I like really that stack too! You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer looking one than that, its as aesthetically pleasing as they come. :) It adds some much needed industrial character to city and its not a heavy polluter, just a steam plant there.

have more detailed renderings been released? i really can't judge the look of this building from the few plans we have

They have a lot of fundraising to do before anything happens here. Look for press releases quoted here. Until then, nuthin's goin' up.

the current renderings make this building looks like a barcode, or the way a vhs tape looks before you get your hands on that faithful tracking knob.

STILL, anything in this neighbourhood is an improvement! and oh yes, think about how many children this building will help.

Those line drawings in the report are begging for fleshed-out renderings: every skin of this building looks different, or at least looks like variations on a theme, but so far that theme is still somewhat illegible. I'm dying to see cgi renderings - this building could be very cool. Nothing yet on DS's website.

looks like things are moving forward....from a longer article in today's Globe regarding the slowdown for architects worldwide, the following regarding this project...

Mr. Schmitt also says that some institutional and health care clients are eager to get planned projects under way because contractors are bidding more competitively. “We've had a number of projects out to bid in the last few months that have come in well under budget and I think it's a reflection that the overheated [costs of] construction are cooling and bringing benefits to the developer,†Mr. Schmitt says.

Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, for example, has asked Mr. Schmitt's firm to accelerate plans for its new 24-storey research building, he says. “They're very actively pushing us to finish the design and drawings and be under construction this summer because they see this as the perfect time for them to build.â€

full article here..

http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090417.wpropertyreport0421/BNStory/Business/home

Very true. Two architectural firms that my company works with have laid off a bunch of staff, mainly the technologists. Between these firms, it was close to 100 workers.

Back