Brampton Peel Memorial Hospital Phase 2 | 73.14m | 12s | HOK

Milton has a hospital, at the corner of Bronte and Derry. I do not think it was expanded since it was built way back circa 1980.

Credit Valley recently got major expansions (including a cancer centre), I think the last time Peel Memorial got anything substantive was in the mid 1980s (east wing and parking deck), because, of course, why renovate when a new hospital was planned? (The site is a horrible mess of wings added from the 1920s through to the 1980s).

The former OPP lands at Queen and McLaughlin is touted as a possible new hospital site, and the city owns the lands (using them as city hall office overfill and a senior's centre).

Apparently Brampton Civic is going to go from 479 to 608 beds in the next few years. The local LHIN is looking at re-opening Peel Memorial for some health care purpose in the 2009 time frame. The Brampton Board of Trade is pushing them to keep it as an acute care hospital. I signed the petition at www.saveourhospital.ca which calls on the government to retain the Peel Memorial Hospital.

Milton has a hospital, at the corner of Bronte and Derry. I do not think it was expanded since it was built way back circa 1980.

Credit Valley recently got major expansions (including a cancer centre), I think the last time Peel Memorial got anything substantive was in the mid 1980s (east wing and parking deck), because, of course, why renovate when a new hospital was planned? (The site is a horrible mess of wings added from the 1920s through to the 1980s).

The former OPP lands at Queen and McLaughlin is touted as a possible new hospital site, and the city owns the lands (using them as city hall office overfill and a senior's centre).

Credit Valley is going through yet another expansion very soon too!

Credit Valley is expanding. Trillium Mississauga is expanding. Oakville is moving ahead with a complete new hospital to be built on Dundas Street, supposedly within the next 3 - 4 years. And it will be very surprising if Sorbara-land doesn't get one (perhaps with direct access from the subway?)

I greatly fear that the good people of Brampton will be left near the end of the line.

Credit Valley is expanding. Trillium Mississauga is expanding. Oakville is moving ahead with a complete new hospital to be built on Dundas Street, supposedly within the next 3 - 4 years. And it will be very surprising if Sorbara-land doesn't get one (perhaps with direct access from the subway?)

I greatly fear that the good people of Brampton will be left near the end of the line.

Hey, Brampton will be getting LRT to Trillium! That should be good enough.

Apparently Brampton Civic is going to go from 479 to 608 beds in the next few years. The local LHIN is looking at re-opening Peel Memorial for some health care purpose in the 2009 time frame. The Brampton Board of Trade is pushing them to keep it as an acute care hospital. I signed the petition at www.saveourhospital.ca which calls on the government to retain the Peel Memorial Hospital.

I signed the petition and added that Mississauga needs a new hospital as well, as Peel Region is dreadfully ill-served by hospitals at present.

Just when you thought a bigger, high-tech ER would solve Brampton's woes.

The ER staff there are the nastiest I have ever come across.

Highlights of article posted only.

Family wants answers after man dies at BCH
The Brampton Guardian
Friday November 23 2007
PETER CRISCIONE

BRAMPTON - William Osler Health Centre has issued a statement reassuring the public that Brampton Civic Hospital is a safe place to be, after the death of a 52-year-old Sikh man in hospital on Monday sparked a firestorm with this city's Punjabi community.

"I truly, truly believe in my heart that if he had received treatment right when he had arrived at the hospital, I don't think my father would have passed away," said Mandeep Sidhu, whose father Harnek Singh Sidhu died roughly two weeks after being admitted to hospital with what turned out to be pancreatitis. "It was like I was in another dimension when it was all happening. We almost felt like we were being treated as second-class citizens."

Sidhu, a long-time Brampton Transit driver, was rushed to BCH on Nov. 3 after complaining of severe stomach pains.

His daughter claimed that despite arriving in an ambulance in excruciating pain, hospital staff kept Sidhu in the emergency department for hours before he was able to see a doctor.

She suggested her father was mistreated and said a number of male relatives were told to leave the building by staff when they raised concerns.

"They were told to leave because they were trying to get my father off the floor," She continued. "He was lying on the floor in pain, screaming. And we had my dad's grandchildren there too and they were there in the emergency room watching their grandfather screaming in pain on the floor. And we had patients who were also in the emergency room getting up and saying 'please help him, please let him take our spot.'"

The hospital disputes the events but would not provide The Guardian with proper details because of confidentiality guidelines.

Wow. I guess you never read the article - the family was treated like shit (par for the course at William Osler), the patient was brought in by ambulance and still a long wait to see a doctor, and even others waiting their turn were distressed.

In reference to the Vaughan issues, a new Humber River Regional Hospital is presently in the planning stages.

From release:

Construction of a new state-of-the-art hospital on a new site in north-western Toronto, one of the most culturally diverse and fastest-growing communities in Canada. Once completed, the Humber River Regional Hospital will offer a comprehensive range of services to support inpatient and outpatient programs.

Oakville will also be getting a new hospital:
Construction of a new state-of-the-art 478-bed hospital in Oakville that will provide a full range of health services, including complex continuing care, rehabilitation and acute care. This primary acute inpatient site for Oakville will also offer secondary and tertiary level programs with a special focus on rehabilitation and geriatrics.

Wow, what's happening? The province is dripping hospitals all over the place.

Does Oakville already have a hospital? Surely they must? And if they do, why is a city of 100,000 getting 2 hospitals whereas a city of 700,000 only has 2?

The new HHRH site will replace the Northwestern and Weston (Humber Memorial) sites and be located on the MTO lands on Wilson near Keele, in its vast parking lots (not necessarily replacing the MTO offices). It was announced a few months ago.

Now I won't link the P3 crap to quality of clinical care, WOHC gives no assurance that they aren't an incompetant, dismissive and pathetic organization.

---

From the Toronto Star (I have only posted part of the article):

Community rails at new hospital

Death of Punjabi supporter of Brampton Civic galvanizes opposition to public-private facility
Dec 05, 2007 04:30 AM
Prithi Yelaja
Staff Reporter

Open barely a month, Brampton Civic Hospital has become a lightning rod for opposition to so-called P3 projects, following a death the local Punjabi community is blaming on understaffing.

Controversy over the public-private partnership that built the $550 million facility has reached such a pitch that officials called a meeting last night with community leaders and media to air concerns.

Both sides in the fracas – the province, developer and hospital on one side, and the unions, NDP and the Ontario Health Coalition on the other – accuse the other of misleading the public.

Patients are complaining of agonizing waits as the state-of-the-art facility struggles to cope with unfilled positions and a 20 per cent rise in emergency demand compared with the hospital it replaced, Peel Memorial. Added to that is resentment about the $230 million the community was expected to contribute as its share, nearly half of which is still to be raised.

The issue came to a boil when Brampton's large Punjabi community, which had raised millions for the hospital, heard of the death of 52-year-old Harnek Sidhu. [He died in hospital, and waited hours in the ER to even been seen by a doctor. Mentioned earlier in this thread]

CEO Robert Richards is dismayed by the family's angry stance and the furor that subsequently erupted in the Punjabi media and Brampton Guardian, with other upset patients relating horror stories. He blames "organized elements" for whipping up a P3 controversy with rumours and misinformation.

"There are absolutely no linkages between who finances a hospital and what goes on within its walls. It's absolute nonsense," said Richards. "The big benefit is it gets hospitals up and running faster. ... It's never been a secret, the model under which this hospital was built. "

Richards acknowledged the hospital is short staffed. Part of the problem is that the province has not yet set the operating budget.

"Could we do a hell of a lot better with a fulsome budget? Absolutely," Richards said.

Added chief of staff Dr. Ian Smith: "Don't confuse the quality of clinical care with the speed with which it's delivered."

Hundreds of people are expected to rally in protest at the hospital on Sunday. Richards said he is "very concerned" about the rally, particularly since there are rumours that demonstrators "will fake heart attacks or strokes to create incidents. That is reckless endangerment."

While both sides thrashed it out in public, the Sidhu family quietly cremated their father. They are consulting a lawyer on whether to proceed with a lawsuit.

---

Added chief of staff Dr. Ian Smith: "Don't confuse the quality of clinical care with the speed with which it's delivered."

Wow.

Back