Brampton Peel Memorial Hospital Phase 2 | 73.14m | 12s | HOK

Ring my friend I said you’d call Doctor Ganjavih,
Day or night he’ll be there anytime at all,
Doctor Ganjavih,
Doctor Ganjavih, you’re a new and better man,
He helps you to understand,
He does ev’rything he can, Doctor Ganjavih.
If you are down he’ll pick you up, Doctor Ganjavih,
Take a drink from his special cup, Doctor Ganjavih,
Doctor Ganjavih, he’s a man you must believe,
Helping ev’ry one in need,
No-one can succeed like Doctor Ganjavih.
Well, well, well, you’re feeling fine,
Well, well, well, he’ll make you, Doctor Ganjavih....

You'd be surprised what a HUMC degree can get you...

5488FCD8_1ECC926D.jpg

nick.gif

^ Has this place received proper accreditation? That picture of the president makes me wonder.

The new hospital in Brampton looks good, at least from the outside. I haven't been inside.

It was no doubt placed in NE Brampton to help placate Vaughan residents who now have another hospital just outside their boundaries which they can drive to. Although I do like that very good suggestion that they will be able to take the subway in a few years directly down to the University Ave. hospital district. Why build a hospital in Vaughan when a subway, only marginally more expensive, could do the job for them?

I was at St. Mikes Emergency last week to lend support to a friend and we waited about 30 mins before he was seen by a doctor. I was impressed! His condition was NOT serious, either. I guess we were just there at a good time...

Brampton Civic Hospital is a MESS!!!! They should have never closed PMH at the same time as they opened Civic Hospital. The ememergency is fully crowded to the max ALREADY!!! people have to wait more than 24 hr and beds are full!! every night. The nurses and doctors are having trouble working the new machines and everything is dis-organized, on top of that to add to the stress people from all over the GTA are crowding the hospital even more because they think it's new and better so they would rather come here than go to their local hospital. Something needs to be done and fast this is just horrible! WHAT A DISASTER!!

The hospital is not even opened to full capacity yet as provinical funding has not come through. Currently, the number of beds open is the same as what's planned for the new P3 hospital in Peterborough (population: 75,000, however with a considerable hinterland).

Brampton got screwed. Plain and simple.

It seems the big issue is that people used to avoid Peel Memorial like the plague, dispersing to all the neighbouring hospitals, and they underestimated the number who would return to a Brampton hospital once Civic opened. Perhaps these people will realize that Civic is just as overcrowded, and disperse once again.

State-of-the-art hospital swamped by patients

Brampton facility still working out the bugs as it draws more and sicker people from area hospitals
Nov 16, 2007 04:30 AM
Michele Henry
Staff Reporter

Just three weeks after opening, Brampton's state-of-the-art hospital admits it is trying to cope with many more and far sicker patients than expected.

Compared with its predecessor Peel Memorial, Brampton Civic has seen more than a 20 per cent increase in emergency patients.

And the number who are seriously ill has doubled.

The increase in visits to the $887 million hospital has been matched by a corresponding decrease in patients visiting Etobicoke General, Trillium Health Centre, Credit Valley Hospital and Georgetown, the hospital closest to the Civic.

Adding to Brampton Civic's problems are the complexities of the cutting-edge technology and the newness of the surroundings for its 3,725 staff.

"It's bigger. More modern. More in-patient beds. The emergency is spacious and bigger. Everything about this hospital is better. If I was a community member I'd want to go here too," said Dr. Naveed Mohammad, corporate chief of emergency medicine for William Osler Health Centre, which includes the Civic and Etobicoke General.

Starting today, the hospital will try to adjust to the influx by adding more physicians to each shift and tweaking schedules and duties.

If patients keep arriving at the current rate – and officials think they will – instead of 80,000 emergency room visits this year, the hospital will see 113,000.

Wait times have been as high as four hours, but Mohammad said that is misleading. While other hospitals calculate waits from the moment a patient presents at triage to the time they see a doctor, the Civic has added another step: a greet nurse who ushers sicker patients to triage faster.

"So the time to physician is longer," Mohammad said. "Before this, all the time spent in line didn't get captured. This adds another time element."

While service is far better than it was the first day, Mohammad said the hospital still has a way to go.

Ryan Downer, 26, who spent three hours yesterday waiting to be checked by a doctor after falling down stairs at work, said he had to go through the triage process twice because one nurse forgot to fill out the relevant forms. "They're still learning the system," he said. "Everybody thinks bigger hospital, no wait. That's not how it is."

Peel Memorial's cramped emergency room and ailing 80-year-old facility forced 33 per cent of patients in the catchment area to seek care further afield. Not anymore.

The Civic, a 1.2 million-square-foot building boasts an advanced computer system and North America's first wireless handheld nurse call device. It is also environmentally friendly, using various glass technologies to spill light from a grand atrium into inner corridors. And, in parts of the building primarily used during the day, air, heat and light systems are on timers that turn down automatically at night.

But it takes getting used to. In a letter to the community, Robert Richards, William Osler president and CEO, asked for patience as the staff adjusts.

Imagine, he wrote, having to get used to "different operating rooms, and lights, and anesthesia machines/scopes/tables. ... Imagine a different security system, door lock system, access routes. ... Imagine different workstations, computers, new paperless systems. Now imagine them all at once."

Imagine, he wrote, having to get used to "different operating rooms, and lights, and anesthesia machines/scopes/tables. ... Imagine a different security system, door lock system, access routes. ... Imagine different workstations, computers, new paperless systems. Now imagine them all at once."

Imagine, if you will, a competant hospital administration!

I blame Clement more than anyone for this mess, but governments of all three parties - Conservatives, Liberal and NDP - each did their bit. And Osler management was incompetant, nasty, dismissive to critics, but bought a lot of PR ads in the Brampton Guardian.

I think it's ridiculous that there's only 3 hospitals serving a population of 1 million+ in Peel.

^ Yes it is ridiculous that there are only 3 hospitals serving peel which has over 1.2 million residents. And whats even more ridiculous is that Brampton a city which is over 450 000 and growing rapidly only has 1! What a sad story:(

It's honestly faster just to drive to downtown TO from Mississauga if you need to go to an ER quickly. When my sister had an allergic reaction we got turned away from Mississauga Trillium b/c it wasn't "serious" enough since she wasn't bleeding to death or had something sticking out of her. We drove downtown and ended up @ Mount Sinai who took her in within seconds of arriving since by now her throat had pretty much closed in on itself. There's no way you'll ever get in a bed in an ER within 6 hours anywhere in Peel, and that's being VERY generous to the ER at Credit Valley (which is seeing growing pains as a result of Churchill Meadows and growth in Milton and western Brampton). The longest I've ever heard of a close friend waiting to get in somewhere in Mississauga was 36 hours at Trillium Mississauga. If anything, Trillium Queensway's ER should be open 24/7 instead of closing at 9pm.

Obviously overcrowding is a pretty severe problem in fast-growing Peel. Now that Brampton Civic is finally built, what are the next big capital projects? Does Milton have a hospital? If so, it must be a nightmare. The blatantly obvious problem is the demise of the 24-hour Urgent Care Clinics. They diverted all the people from the ERs who had things like a mild flu, food poisoning, a bad sprain, etc.

An idea would be to publish real-time wait times on the internet, so people can see that a minor problem will take 5 hours to be seen at Credit Valley and only one hour at Etobicoke General.

Back