Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

It's just a concept design study. GTAA has enough money for that. It's not an indication they have funding for an actual construction project.

Baby steps.....

- Paul

PS - I do think this is one project that isn't just going to get studied. I'd bet they are on the road to making this happen.

What excites me the most is that the GTAA intends to make financial contributions to extend the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch West LRT, and Mississauga BRT to Pearson. These days, it seems that municipalities are looking for cash. If the GTAA is willing to pay up, I'd say the likelihood of these projects going ahead is much greater.

It's just a concept design study. GTAA has enough money for that. It's not an indication they have funding for an actual construction project.

Baby steps.....

- Paul

PS - I do think this is one project that isn't just going to get studied. I'd bet they are on the road to making this happen.

I just hope that the concept shown earlier this year is nothing close to what the final project is.

A report on the Pearson Transit Hub is at this link.
Thanks for the link...but my sixth sense is ringing yet again on this. That's obviously meant to be presented tomorrow, and it's slick, polished and pushed. Make no mistake, the Pearson hub has to be improved, but this is a sales job, not an objective study. And it's being oversold. Aspects make sense, but many claims seem wildly optimistic considering the context.

Interested to see others reaction to this.

Last edited:
A report on the Pearson Transit Hub is at this link.

Nothing new here. I get why they are presenting to the TTC. But I can't imagine the TTC has much to offer them unless someone wants to really push up the LRT extensions to Pearson. This all comes down to what the province wants to do for transit in that corner of the region. The whole Union Station West thing only works if MiWay, BT, YRT, TTC and GO really build all the feeder services in. And so far, we haven't heard a peep from the 905 services...or Metrolinx for that matter.

Nothing new here. I get why they are presenting to the TTC. But I can't imagine the TTC has much to offer them unless someone wants to really push up the LRT extensions to Pearson. This all comes down to what the province wants to do for transit in that corner of the region. The whole Union Station West thing only works if MiWay, BT, YRT, TTC and GO really build all the feeder services in. And so far, we haven't heard a peep from the 905 services...or Metrolinx for that matter.

Believe it or not, the province has been meeting somewhat regularly with Pearson with the federal government planning the meetings. Union West seems to have legs with those currently in power.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wynne GTA election plan centered around implementation of RER (construction phase) + planning on Subway East (DRL + Yonge) + Union West as the next phase of projects. Even the PC party seems somewhat on board with significant improvements through the "Innovation Corridor".

TTC is getting the presentation because Tory is releasing trial balloons on an election plan.

Last edited:

According to the Toronto Star, both the feds and province are seriously considering the project:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ilds-for-new-pearson-airport-transit-hub.html

The Link Train would need significant upgrades if the number of passengers using it rises as dramatically as it would if this scenario were implemented.

The Link Train would need significant upgrades if the number of passengers using it rises as dramatically as it would if this scenario were implemented.

Which is something that can be done. Pearson got the cheapest kit but those Doppelmayr systems have an optional end-point switching system (change track during turnback) and the ability to disconnect from the drive cable at stations.

In short, they can be upgraded to run with 45 to 60 second frequencies if passengers at stations can load/unload quickly.

Last edited:
A report released by Avison Young provided an interesting insight. The GTAA has purchased the Airway Centre (680 000 sq/f of office space) from Dream Office Realty. Now while they could keep the buildings, I think this location is ripe for a redevelopment removing much of the surface parking, and in fact could be integrated into the Transit hub, and/or become the location of the Transit hub

Link.
https://avisonyoung.uberflip.com/i/...oareatransitnodesoftomorrownov7-17final/5?m4=

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...656467843.html

Détails:
A total of 36.0 million passengers travelled through Toronto Pearson International Airport in the first nine months of 2017 as the international sector increased by 1.7 million passengers or 8.0 per cent and the domestic sector increased by 439,000 passengers or 3.4 per cent over the same period in 2016. A total of 13.6 million passengers travelled through the Airport during the three-month period ended September 30, 2017 as the international sector increased by 414,000 passengers or 5.3 per cent and the domestic sector increased by 166,000 passengers or 3.2 per cent over the same period in 2016. Both the third quarter and first nine months of 2017 recorded the highest number of domestic and international passengers.

YYZ approaching 48M + for 2017 and could hit 50M next year..Time to build the hub now.

How about pier G? It is so not fun in the T1 USA bunker - er Quanset hut departure lounge. Not much more fun in parts of pier F or E at times.

+1
I couldn't agree more. Moving US/Transborder flights to it's own pier would make daily operations so much smoother (reduced usage of swing gates playing double roles) more so than some centralized transit hub (which is needed as well but would serve a very different role)

Back