News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 793     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

How about we start with a direct shuttle bus between Malton GO and Pearson (no, schlepping out under the line, through the International Centre and over to the far side of Airport Road doesn't count) and see where that goes.
it is rather obvious...isn't it! When you get on a KW line train at Union...listen to the announcements...it is remarkable how many bus connections are offered at varying stations to varying locations...they are extensions of the train trip to places not directly on the tracks......notably missing is "bus connections at Malton for Pearson International Aiprort terminals"

it is rather obvious...isn't it! When you get on a KW line train at Union...listen to the announcements...it is remarkable how many bus connections are offered at varying stations to varying locations...they are extensions of the train trip to places not directly on the tracks......notably missing is "bus connections at Malton for Pearson International Aiprort terminals"
I can understand at Union a desire to push UPX for YYZ travel, but the notion of having west-of-Malton folks continue and double back on UPX is ridiculous.

Not true. See their Toronto-Sydney flight.....via Vancouver.
"Via Vancouver" does not in itself negate it being a "direct flight".

I went on Expedia and picked random travel dates.......and asked for only Air Canada flights.

I got this.

Capture expedia toronto sydney.PNG

You can see that the 20:15 flight does not involve a change of plane while the 19:15 flight does.

Then when you go to the air canada site to see how they "classify" the flights.....the 20:15 is called "direct"...yes it stops in Vancouver ....but no change of plane is involved.

Capture AC toronto sydney direct.PNG

The 19:15, however, is not shown as "direct"

Capture ac toronto sydney not direct.PNG

Attachments

• Capture expedia toronto sydney.PNG
    Capture expedia toronto sydney.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 466
  • Capture AC toronto sydney direct.PNG
    Capture AC toronto sydney direct.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Capture ac toronto sydney not direct.PNG
    Capture ac toronto sydney not direct.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 481
Then when you go to the air canada site to see how they "classify" the flights.....the 20:15 is called "direct"...yes it stops in Vancouver ....but no change of plane is involved.

You don't need to change the plane but for some trips you may be required to get out and reboard (but you can leave your luggage at your seat).

You don't need to change the plane but for some trips you may be required to get out and reboard (but you can leave your luggage at your seat).
as long as the plane does not change....the airline industry considers it a direct flight....it defies the common use of the word direct...but the industry has their own words.

I wonder if there's more of a case for VIA HFR to bypass Union and run to Pearson using the GO Crosstown corridor (via Summerhill). It's a faster trip and supports the creation of a transportation megahub at Pearson.

Alternatively, HFR has to be thru service and not terminal at Union, if going via downtown, if it is to support TPIA.

I wonder if there's more of a case for VIA HFR to bypass Union and run to Pearson using the GO Crosstown corridor (via Summerhill). It's a faster trip and supports the creation of a transportation megahub at Pearson.

Except that it's the people along the lakeshore route that might want to go on to Pearson, the Ottawa and Montreal folks not so much (Peterborough excepted).

I think the solution to Union's capacity issue may be to have "Shoulder" stations on either side of Union. Pearson can be one in the West, I'm not sure about the East. Much like the proposed GO Stations on either side of Union would reduce dwell times, service to Toronto would terminate/originate at Pearson (for routes coming from/going to the East, While service from/to the West would terminate/originate from the East station.

As much at the Midtown line sounds appealing for avoiding Union, I'm not sure there would be enough demand without service to Union.

Except that it's the people along the lakeshore route that might want to go on to Pearson, the Ottawa and Montreal folks not so much (Peterborough excepted).

You're assuming 3rd parties won't get a commission for selling HFR tickets. If they do, then a train trip from Ottawa to Pearson will be shown right along side the connecting flights options on anything Liberty Interactive runs (Expedia, Trivago, Orbitz, CheapFlights, etc.). If the train is cheaper than a flight by even $1, then many will take it.

Even Google Flights shows train services.

I think the solution to Union's capacity issue may be to have "Shoulder" stations on either side of Union. Pearson can be one in the West, I'm not sure about the East. Much like the proposed GO Stations on either side of Union would reduce dwell times, service to Toronto would terminate/originate at Pearson (for routes coming from/going to the East, While service from/to the West would terminate/originate from the East station.

As much at the Midtown line sounds appealing for avoiding Union, I'm not sure there would be enough demand without service to Union.

Guildwood makes sense in that regard. VIA, GO RER, Eglinton Crosstown. Someone coming from the east could take VIA to Guildwood, Crosstown to Leslie, and hop onto a new Crosstown interchange there with GO Midtown.

Alternatively, HFR has to be thru service and not terminal at Union, if going via downtown, if it is to support TPIA.

The option that I've been toying with is having express trains to/from OTT and MTL use the entire Havelock sub, while some local trains divert along an improved York Sub across the top of Toronto (with a station at Yonge & Clark), over to the Weston sub, down it to Malton (Pearson's HSR/HFR station), then into Union that way.

This would get all Via traffic off LSE, which would be very useful for GO. It would also mean that all local trains into Toronto and Montreal would pass by their respective airports before their final destinations in the city centres. If Ottawa's HFR was adjusted to use the O-Train Trillium Line corridor until the junction at Confederation Heights, it could be 3/3.

If you wanted to get really ambitious, you could have Niagara Falls trains use the Weston sub, Missing Link, and Halton sub instead of the LSW corridor. This would allow every Toronto-bound Via route the opportunity to connect to Pearson before reaching Union.

Back