News   Apr 25, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 565     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Earlier this week, I noticed a change in the customs and security check process at YYZ T1 going into the U.S.

I go through the Nexus (Global Entry) as I normally do but instead of customs, I passed through security check first, then down to the kiosks for customs. The entire area where you drop off your checked baggage and the lineup for security check is no longer there. Overall the process was very fluid and smoother than before.

I asked an airport employee about it and they said it is a new process they implemented this Monday in order to improve the overall airport experience. Myself and another gentleman next to me in the line agreed that it was indeed quicker. It was a pleasant surprise.

To me I find this a bit logically odd. While yes one airline requires only one gate, the actual volume of the terminal can only hold so many people. For example as more 777's pick up and drop off 400 passengers vs a 737 with 180 passengers the terminal lounge areas, security screening, and waiting areas start to get overwhelmed.

That's true, waiting passengers take a bit of space, Pearson has also massively expanded retail in the very areas (Pier F for example) people are saying is cramped in this thread. I think that made a far bigger difference (I've been through Pier F at 5am recently; it still feels cramped compared to when newly built and I was pretty much the only person there).

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Pier has double the floorspace of Pier F with 3 times the retail; it'll feel just as cramped for waiting passengers.

Earlier this week, I noticed a change in the customs and security check process at YYZ T1 going into the U.S.

Is the new US customs area finished then? It feels like it's been under construction for years.

Is the new US customs area finished then? It feels like it's been under construction for years.

The hoarding is down. I went through on Thursday last. Everyone ( both GOES/NEXUS and regular) uses a kiosk and then sees an agent. You get to dump your bag at the check-in prior just like any other domestic or international flight. The previous security screening area behind the customs pre-clearance hall is being deconstructed.

I go through the Nexus (Global Entry) as I normally do but instead of customs, I passed through security check first, then down to the kiosks for customs. The entire area where you drop off your checked baggage and the lineup for security check is no longer there. Overall the process was very fluid and smoother than before.

I asked an airport employee about it and they said it is a new process they implemented this Monday in order to improve the overall airport experience. Myself and another gentleman next to me in the line agreed that it was indeed quicker. It was a pleasant surprise.
I did this in T3 a couple months ago. It felt quite strange to do! For frequent travelers at their home airport, it's always a bit jarring when the process changes. I navigate Pearson on autopilot usually. Looking forward to seeing the T1 changes.

The hoarding is down. I went through on Thursday last. Everyone ( both GOES/NEXUS and regular) uses a kiosk and then sees an agent. You get to dump your bag at the check-in prior just like any other domestic or international flight. The previous security screening area behind the customs pre-clearance hall is being deconstructed.

The physical agent step was definitely something new for Nexus/Global Entry flyers. I had no issues with it and it was pretty quick but any ideas why they decided to add this step into the process? An additional level of security perhaps?

The physical agent step was definitely something new for Nexus/Global Entry flyers. I had no issues with it and it was pretty quick but any ideas why they decided to add this step into the process? An additional level of security perhaps?
Really? When I did this in T3 it was just to hand over the form like you usually do leaving the customs hall. They also did away with stamping the boarding pass.

I really wish the GTAA would update their master plan. I heard from multiple sources that pier G will be of similar design to F (hammerhead), however the 2008 master plan had pier G being much smaller and more inline with pier E which is used for domestic flights. Looking at the layout of the airport, pier F is just under 400 m long, if we lay out a pier G with the same length it will encroach on the apron taxiways and possibly interfere with taxiway D (delta). So I can't see how another pier F could be built.

Are there plans to rename Terminal 3, Terminal 2? :)

No, that would cause undue confusion. In fact, in the original 1990s plan to replace the old T1 and tear down T2, the proposed final construction maps showed that they expected to eliminate T3 also. The new terminal was never intended to be permanently named T1. If I'm lucky in my searches, I'll find the old clipping of the Toronto Star article showing the new terminal drawn on a map, completely obliterating all three terminals. Basically, the new terminal was supposed to have been shaped like a J in reverse.

Etihad moving to T3 as of today. Strange given that their twice weekly schedule shouldn't impact gate availability and the fact that they have code share agreements with Air Canada should encourage staying at T1 to make connections easier.

I heard that they're starting construction of Pier G next year. Apparently the GTAA has announced this to all their employees. And I think they said it would take 6 years to build? Or was it 7? Regardless, I guess we'll see next year if that goes ahead.

6 years for a terminal expansion? Only in Toronto. I think the entire Hong Kong airport was built in roughly that time, and they has to build an island for that.

I heard that they're starting construction of Pier G next year. Apparently the GTAA has announced this to all their employees. And I think they said it would take 6 years to build? Or was it 7? Regardless, I guess we'll see next year if that goes ahead.

6 years for a terminal expansion? Only in Toronto. I think the entire Hong Kong airport was built in roughly that time, and they has to build an island for that.

That quoted timeframe is on the weird side, considering the Pearson redevelopment early on only took a decade - and that involved multiple phasing due to space constraints. I think we need to wait for the official announcement on this one.

In any case, it's none too soon - T1 International is feeling a little cramped, esp. when it comes to boarding time.

AoD

That is a long time for only a pier addition. However, could be built in stages with final build-out resulting in 2022 (admittedly I'm reaching here)

Back