News   Apr 23, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 637     0 

Toronto Parks

It's not really a park per se, but there's a community vegetable garden on the west side of Huron, just south of the children's library on College. It appears to be a coordinated effort by a number of people to divide up the plot into small parcels for growing vegetables. There weren't many edible things growing there when I checked it out last month, but I'll swing by sometime in the coming weeks and see how it's progressing.

Top of waterfall needs fixing and hours extended

The top portion of the waterwall hasn't been turned on for a while. I also find the hours for the Conservatory to be extremely limited. I believe it closes at 2:00pm everyday? What gives?

Louroz

The top portion of the waterwall hasn't been turned on for a while. I also find the hours for the Conservatory to be extremely limited. I believe it closes at 2:00pm everyday? What gives?

Louroz

Was the upper portion of the waterfall not working last summer?
The Conservatory hours are odd, I've never got down there early enough to ever get into there! But there's always Allen Gardens which is so much larger and a real mood pick-up in the depths of winter.

David Balfour Park - Rosehill Reservoir

A great expansive park located south of St. Clair about halfway between Yonge and Mt. Pleasant.
The park itself offers a children's play area and wading pool (not operational at the time these photos were taken), quiet fenced off garden areas with seating and shaded areas, restrooms and reflecting pools that despite the signs, seem to be used as a place for dogs to cool off. The park is very well manicured, very "dog friendly" and lots of friendly neighbourhood types who love to stop and chat. The park lacks any sports friendly facilities such as a baseball diamond, soccer area etc. which seems unfortunate given the amount of space here.
The east side of the park (not documented here) is a sprawling series of nature and jogging trails through the Vale of Avoca Ravine alongside Mt. Pleasant Rd. which runs a little south of Davisville Ave. south to Roxborough St. E. and then eastward over to Bayview Ave/Bayview extension.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

David Crombie Parks

This series of five parks are only a block wide but run along the south side of The Esplanade all the way from Lower Jarvis to Berkeley Street. They encapsulate everything that is great about St. Lawrence Market by offering most everything a large urban community could want or need in an outdoor setting. Included here are several water features, spalsh pads, a baseball diamond, a basketball court, several children's adventure playgrounds, quiet grassy sitting areas, rolling hills and plenty of sunny or shaded places to sit and take it all in. The landscaping is somewhat subdued in some areas which would be my only quibble here, more community garden areas would really complete these parks. Lots of mature trees dot and line the parks in most areas and there are plenty of open spaces for dogs to run & play with their two legged human friends.

I've always felt the Esplanade/Crombie parks as being the perfect repository for the most self-conscious 1980s landscape-architecture concepts...

Roundhoue Park

I cycled down in early June to photograph this area only to find that much of it was fenced off. I wasn't going to post what I photographed but I thought I'd do a before & after series on this area, so I'll follow up late summer or fall when the area re-opens.

Grange Park

A great, well used urban park roughly bordered by Dundas Street (behind the AGO) & Stephanie Street, Beverly & McCaul Sts. This park is often buzzing with some kind of excitement. This park could really use some landscaping and a perhaps a water feature.

It would be great if the property at the rear of 50 Stephanie Street could be annexed and integrated into the park. I never see it used.

St. James Park

Another one of my favorate parks bordered by Church & Jarvis, Adelaide & King E. This is a large post, but I think it deserves it.

Thanks so much for your dedicated documentation of our wonderful parks system DT Geek. Brilliant pictures, excellent post layouts...beautiful!

Ditto! Excellent photos and layout. Thanks,DT Geek!:)

I really appreciate your comments, thank you folks - and your welcome :). I'm happy doing it as I really enjoy it, especially when I discover a park that I have never been in before (such as Trintiy Bellwoods a couple of weeks ago which I'll post soon).
Many more are sitting on my HD and more to photograph yet. I'll continue to post when I have time to upload. I try to get a park uploaded every week or two.

Sculpture Garden's got something new

My usual 504 King ride by the Sculpture Garden gave me a glimpse of a new installation -- the mushroom/house/atelier is gone, replaced with a bright & shiny ribbon of something. I'm going to have to go take a closer look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back