Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

is it Canary or Cannery? as far as I know a Canary is a bird....

The former Canary restaurant.

1061312913_38558a8ce8_b.jpg

I'm told the south wing of the building (right in this photo) is the older section, and that it's the oldest remaining school house in the city.

Last edited:
What's the timeline for the Cherry St. Extension? Wikipedia has it starting in 2011 but is that accurate?

The City and Waterfront Toronto and the utility companies are working on Cherry from King to the railway right now and, in fact, Cherry is about to be closed from Mill Street south for 2 months while a watermain is laid. The intention is to move all services (hydro, gas, water, phones) to the west side of the street so that the streetcar tracks on the east side will not be on top of them. They will then rebuild the street but will not, I think, actually lay any streecar tracks (though will leave space for them). I have heard that the streetcar tracks will not be laid until after the Pan-Am Games, which is unfortunate as Cherrry Street would make a much better short-turn for the 504 streetcars now there are so many more people living on the route between Church and Eastern.

The final plans for traffic lights etc on Cherry were actually just approved by Council in September (SEE: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.TE9.42 )

WT has plans to 'adjust' Cherry south of the rail bridge so that it (and Queen's Quay) runs straight through but this is all tied up with the Port Lands and Keating plans.

Last edited:
Ahh they're using Yonge street lighting! That's great, currently that's the only redeeming feature on Yonge ... from a street scape perspective.

The former Canary restaurant.

1061312913_38558a8ce8_b.jpg

I'm told the south wing of the building (right in this photo) is the older section, and that it's the oldest remaining school house in the city.

If I recall correctly, there actually used to be a tower-esque feature on that corner, where you can see the differently-coloured part at the top.

The Lost Rivers website ( http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/palaceschool.htm ) says:

"In 1893, the publication 'Toronto, the Queen City of Canada" declared that: "A well known and popular hotel in this city is the Cherry Street Hotel, Mr. J.J.. Darcy, proprietor, situated at the comer of Cherry and Front Street. The building, a commodious brick structure, was originally a school house for a period of 45 years. In 1890 it was remodelled and rebuilt into a hotel and opened by Mr. Robert Irvine as the Irvine House. On the 20th of June, 1892, he was succeeded by Mr. Darcy, the present proprietor, who refitted and refurnished the house throughout and has since conducted it as the Cherry Street Hotel in a manner greatly redounding to his credit. The house contains upwards of 40 neatly furnished sleeping rooms, a well equipped dining room and office. The very best to be obtained in the market is served daily in the dining room, and in the well kept bar can always be found the choicest imported wines, liquors, ales, beer, porter, stout and cigars."

The section at the north west corner appears to be wood and I am not sure if it ever was tower-esque - I could not find an old photo but doubtless others will be able to!

It was not Toronto's first school.

Underpass Park in The West Don Lands.
[video=youtube;wVfW64fb6L0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfW64fb6L0[/video]

Spectacular update. The primary roads and parks are so close to being done... very exciting. That road on the west side of River Square looks thin. Also it seems like they are putting in a concrete base for a significant portion of the roads which should be good for the long term maintainability of these roads as long as the underground conduits have been built with space to spare. Can't wait to check it out in person.

The best thing about WDL and even Regent Park, is that the ugly, over-head wires are all being put underground. (No more ugly wooden poles and wires) Slowly we are building better public spaces, one development at a time.

Back