Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

It looks interesting in the same way the music garden on Queen's quay does. I'm not sure how may people it will attract though. I wonder if there are any ideas of possibly opening up some of the attractions again lie the cinesphere and the Wilderness adventure ride?

They really should, and add more attractions. I'm still am not sure why the park was abandoned all of a sudden like, it was pretty awesome. Was always a bit of a task to get to with the slow packed streetcar, but otherwise it's an amazing location that would've recovered. Seemed like it was underinvested in, then shuttered real quick. Since it's a provincial park asset, why not designate it as a Provincial Park. It'd be an urban-themed one with rides/attractions, but under the guise of Parks Ontario.

They really should, and add more attractions. I'm still am not sure why the park was abandoned all of a sudden like, it was pretty awesome. Was always a bit of a task to get to with the slow packed streetcar, but otherwise it's an amazing location that would've recovered. Seemed like it was underinvested in, then shuttered real quick. Since it's a provincial park asset, why not designate it as a Provincial Park. It'd be an urban-themed one with rides/attractions, but under the guise of Parks Ontario.
I think one of the big problems with it was it didn't attract enough people to it. More people are likely to go to Wonderland as it has more thrills and attractions for everyone. Plus there is also Centreville for kids on the island. When I worked at one of the restaurant there they were typically only busy when there was concert at the atmosphere or when they did fireworks or the EX was on, otherwise you could swing a cat around an not hit anyone. I think one of it's big problems has always been the way it was manged. It was run by the Ontario government who had no idea how to run an amusement / theme park. The employees of it that actually worked for Ontario Place we all part of a government of Ontario union and it reflected that most of them were lazy about their jobs as they were typically high school and university students only working there for the summer. The only times where the park would be packed with poel on the rides were when school groups came in during june. The Ex would bring in crowds as well but it wasn't relly much extra. I think if they do want to make it some sort of destination with rides and attractions they should hire an outside company to run it possibly Beasley entertainment who runs Centreville and maybe turn it into a second version of that park or maybe try and attract some help from Ceder fare who now runs Canada';s Wonderland.

Wonderland definitely fills the roll of a real-deal theme park, but Centre Island is too small-time for much younger kids. I think Ontario Place was the opportunity for a mid-range park specifically for kids + parent/s. And yeah government ownership would no doubt create a problem competing against private theme parks with corporate backers. Which I guess is an issue with Toronto Zoo as well. Is it a place for wild fun, or higher learning... and both are a bit logistically hard to reach.

Wonderland definitely fills the roll of a real-deal theme park, but Centre Island is too small-time for much younger kids. I think Ontario Place was the opportunity for a mid-range park specifically for kids + parent/s. And yeah government ownership would no doubt create a problem competing against private theme parks with corporate backers. Which I guess this is an issue with Toronto Zoo as well. Is it a place for wild fun, or higher learning... and both are a bit logistically hard to reach.
I wonder if they could maybe get a smaller company like Merlin entertainment who runs the Lego Land theme parks to come on board. The only big problem with it is that it has a fairly short operating season, basically from may until about the end of September. October could be done if they could add stuff for Halloween like Wonderland does.

I wonder if they could maybe get a smaller company like Merlin entertainment who runs the Lego Land theme parks to come on board. The only big problem with it is that it has a fairly short operating season, basically from may until about the end of September. October could be done if they could add stuff for Halloween like Wonderland does.

I like Lego, and thoroughly enjoyed the Lego stuff in the 90s. Wonder if they've ever been approached for some kind of private takeover, or if there'd be a business case for an all-season park a la West Edmonton. I believe one of the concept ideas pre-Ontario Place was to roof over much of Exhibition and future Ontario Place site. If it was an all-year park with a retractable roof and attractions like small coasters, log rides, and waterslides would it turn a profit? Possibly.

I like Lego, and thoroughly enjoyed the Lego stuff in the 90s. Wonder if they've ever been approached for some kind of private takeover, or if there'd be a business case for an all-season park a la West Edmonton. I believe one of the concept ideas pre-Ontario Place was to roof over much of Exhibition and future Ontario Place site. If it was an all-year park with a retractable roof and attractions like small coasters, log rides, and waterslides would it turn a profit? Possibly.

Attraction is one thing (and there are no end to suggestions on that topic); access is another - going to the Ex/OP requires more time and effort than one'd expect - especially OP where there is no direct transit access, and walking to it on the best of days is a chore (forget doing that in winter). That's not a recipe for a well-used space.

Focus on getting access right first - uses can come later.

AoD

I'm still am not sure why the park was abandoned all of a sudden like, it was pretty awesome.
It wasn't all of a sudden, it died a slow death. Attendance declined for a number of years, nothing new was added to the park, it isn't all that convenient to get to, other shinier newer things were on offer. It was a gem in its time but it was neglected. Hopefully it finds a wonderful new life. The newly opened park section is beautiful. It's not going to draw people from far and wide, but until they figure out what to do with the main part of Ontario Place, it's a lovely little stop along the way for people in the area. There are some terrific views for those who like to take photos or just sit and contemplate life.

On the question of accessibility, I wonder if it could make sense to have a Ferry go to Ontario Place from Jack Layton Terminal? A Ferry Ticket could include a trip to OP and/or the Toronto Islands.

As a destination, OP could be positioned as a place to be outdoors and physically engaged. Unlike an amusement park with rides that require passive participation (sitting on roller coaster), go back to the OP of old with fantastical playgrounds of swinging ropes and nets and places for kids to climb and hide. Basically a massive outdoor parkour course for parents and kids. Heck, that might even attract teenagers....

On the question of accessibility, I wonder if it could make sense to have a Ferry go to Ontario Place from Jack Layton Terminal? A Ferry Ticket could include a trip to OP and/or the Toronto Islands.

As a destination, OP could be positioned as a place to be outdoors and physically engaged. Unlike an amusement park with rides that require passive participation (sitting on roller coaster), go back to the OP of old with fantastical playgrounds of swinging ropes and nets and places for kids to climb and hide. Basically a massive outdoor parkour course for parents and kids. Heck, that might even attract teenagers....
A ferry needs a dock and I do not think there is one at OP. Not sure if water taxis can or do go there.

It wasn't all of a sudden, it died a slow death. Attendance declined for a number of years, nothing new was added to the park, it isn't all that convenient to get to, other shinier newer things were on offer. It was a gem in its time but it was neglected. Hopefully it finds a wonderful new life. The newly opened park section is beautiful. It's not going to draw people from far and wide, but until they figure out what to do with the main part of Ontario Place, it's a lovely little stop along the way for people in the area. There are some terrific views for those who like to take photos or just sit and contemplate life.

There was definitely a slow dying occurring. But when they finally started working toward revamping/improving they shut the doors for good. I think it was something like $10M that never got a chance to see a roi. One of the attractions wasn't even finished yet. Sure prior to that there was an announcement about larger revitalization, but not a full-scale quasi-permanent shutdown. I'd call that fairly all of a sudden. What are the year-over-year attendance numbers for Science Centre like, will that be indefinitely closed too with nary a word (rhetorically speaking)?

Maybe I don't follow this as closely as I could. I believe I tried, but my takeaway is the planned future seems murky. Not to mention having the appearance of an excessively long rollout.

The ferry idea sounds okay. I think the general area would still need some kind of other direct link, whether as extension of the LRT or maybe future RL spur. But no question a ferry could bring high volumes steadily and directly. Would be keen on seeing this considered. And yeah I'd be all about some parkour obstacle course playground.

There are several problems with a ferry over to Ontario Place. One it would have to navigate from Toronto Harbour and through the Western Gap where the Ferry for the island airport runs unless you think it should go out through the Eastern Gap and head around the islands before going to Ontario Place. Second the water between the Islands and Ontario Place can be fairly rough at times. Ontario Place did sometimes offer a shuttle service from there to Harbourfront beside the queens quay terminal.

Has anyone thought of building a gondola going from Ontario Place to Harbourfront Centre, or is that too far of a distance?

In Barcelona their Telefèric de Montjuïc connects Parc de Montjuïc to the central harbourfront 2-3km away, and it is quite a draw. It connects one clustered set of amenities with another using an entertaining gondolar/cablecar.

https://goo.gl/maps/FFt2j689mi82

8714425_orig.jpg

http://www.barcelonabook.com/uploads/9/2/8/1/9281695/8714425_orig.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B1NXT9/bar...-vell-harbour-barcelona-city-spain-B1NXT9.jpg

Attachments

• 8714425_orig.jpg
    8714425_orig.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Has anyone thought of building a gondola going from Ontario Place to Harbourfront Centre, or is that too far of a distance?
In Barcelona their Telefèric de Montjuïc connects Parc de Montjuïc to the central harbourfront 2-3km away, and it is quite a draw. It connects one clustered set of amenities with another using an entertaining gondolar/cablecar.
https://goo.gl/maps/FFt2j689mi82
https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/images/int/maps/attractions/highres/castell-de-montjuic.gif
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B1NXT9/bar...-vell-harbour-barcelona-city-spain-B1NXT9.jpg

It may work, though I wouldn't want to count on something like a gondola to resolve the access issue - it's too "niche" and subjected to way too many ifs, ands or buts. Montjuic is a fairly specific case (hill) that may not be replaceable here, not to mention climate. Can't use a funicular system like the latter here either - there no relief to speak of.

You won't be able to get away with it given the Island Airport, but the Islands could serve as a interesting, if not good case for gondolas.

AoD

Last edited:

Back