Toronto One Rainsford | ?m | 6s | The Riedel Group | Richard Ziegler

The geometric forms are heavy though not oppressive. The contrast between the black brick and light block cladding is sharp. It has character. Storefront retail will help to tie it into the streetscape.

I currently live near this project and it has really improved the street scape at that location. I hope that the retail space will be filled because there is empty retail along Queen St.East in the Beaches already near there and I'd hate to see that in this great looking new condo.

The retail in that Mattamy development along the south side of Queen has been somewhat of a disaster. The owners of those buildings need to sit down and figure out how to improve the pedestrian realm there to make those awful buildings inviting in some way. Good luck to them!

GoogleMaps1834QueenE.jpg

Attachments

• GoogleMaps1834QueenE.jpg
    GoogleMaps1834QueenE.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 912
The rents are simply too high. Can be said for the established areas too. Pemberton Group built these.

Considering how seasonal foot traffic is in this neighbourhood, the rent is way too high. There just isn't enough business down here year round to keep all the businesses busy enough to stay afloat.

And they've been terrible from nearly day 1 !! I think even a bank left the area, believe it or not !?

And they've been terrible from nearly day 1 !! I think even a bank left the area, believe it or not !?

TD Bank had a branch here, but when they opened another at the Canadian Tire at Lakeshore and Leslie, they closed the Woodbine Park location. Now all that is left of that TD is one Green Machine.

Take a look at the balconies in this photo.

The left side juts out while the right side is indented. I was wondering whether it was on purpose or not - since it seems like a pretty big deal to mess up. It's worth noting that in all the renderings that I've seen, the balconies are indented on both the left and right side. At first I though, "maybe it's done to tilt toward the sun?" ... but it's so minor that it would not accomplish that on any practical level. I also can't figure out how they will fix this to make it look correct since you can already see where they've had trouble fitting the siding on the left side. The indent is about 4 inches and the jut out is about 3-4 inches past the siding.

Curious what anyone with a more educated eye thinks.

Condo2.jpg

Attachments

• Condo2.jpg
    Condo2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 766
No optical illusion. In fact - my picture does not do it justice. Much more noticeable in person. If I walk down that way later today I'll try and get a better quality close up ...

There are few right angles on properties in Toronto. It's quite possible that as the property moves north away from Queen Street that it angles ever so slightly, and that the wall north of the balconies had to move in a bit to take that into account. These kind of construction decisions rarely happen by mistake.

What does happen often is that the building does not turn out quite as rendered. One of the reasons is that the renderings are created before the working drawings for the building are created. The working drawings are only created once it's obvious that the building is selling, and that's when they're designed down to the millimetre. The marketing renderings are being worked out much earlier when the building's plan have not hit that level of detail yet.

It was likely the original plan was to build as was shown in the rendering, but then something comes up when the plans are being checked and they find they have to move the wall in.

Hows retail doing in the beaches anyway ? I know last time I was there seemed to be a lot of vacancies (not even including the west part that is the horrible Mattamy buildings)

Back