Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I'd love to see a movie theatre back at this location or at least something with entertainment value. We need something more than just shopping malls at Canada's most famous intersection.

I'd love to see a movie theatre back at this location or at least something with entertainment value. We need something more than just shopping malls at Canada's most famous intersection.

I've strongly supported that idea too, Y+B needs it's nightlife back. I opined that a 5 or 6 screen venue to eventually replace the Cumberland and Carlton cinemas with alternative programming would be ideal for this area.

Thats too close to the Varsity theatres.

The Cumberland is currently less than a five minute walk from the Varsity. This area used to house the Town Cinema on Bloor, just east of Yonge, The New Yorker/Showcase Cinema on Yonge at St. Mary, Uptown & Backstage Cinemas, The University Cinema, The Plaza Cinemas & The CineCity Cinema at Charles & Yonge - all a five minute walk from the Varsity. I don't think it's too close, the area can support another cinema complex. It supported all those other large single & multiplex screens since the Varsity was built in the early 70's.

Alliance Atlantis Cinemas would be a perfect fit at One Bloor East to replace the Cumberland.

But seriously, is it by Hariri Pontarini?

I am dying to know!

I am confident of my sources (yes, plural). But of course until GGH/HPA reveals its design or makes an announcement, there's no way to provide any real assurances.

Well as long as you weren't joking or pulling that out of your ass, I am still really optimistic and also simultaenously shocked that my hope has come to fruition and Hariri Pontarini could indeed be doing this.

I am sure we will see renderings soon enough.

How about multi-floored retail in the form of a Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus. We need another high end department store in Toronto. Holts alone will not cut it. This area would be perfect for it.

Holts is owned by Saks and has the same stuff at least it used to be that way a few years ago. I doubt u would see a Saks. A Neiman Marcus could happen i guess, but unlikely...

Too bad no hotel. Toronto is lacking small luxury hotels. A small 5 star boutique hotel like the ones you find in Montreal or NYC would have been perfect for this location :(

Sept 20

IMG_sept-20-09-0052.jpg

I would agree that a department store at this location would be perfect, like a Bloomingdales or a Galleries Lafayette.

Back