Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

The cluster in that photo above has a nice variety of finishes. It isn't all glass towers. Once The One is built, it will have yet another tone added to up the variety even more. Yonge and Bloor is looking good.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There is ongoing work on the installation of the balcony railings. I see a lot of the balcony glass sitting on the lower tower balconies waiting to be installed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,565
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,636
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,654
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,645
Shot it from the north in the morning, now here is a shot of it from the southeast taken around noon:

IMG_2645.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 1,382
...one can see those balcony curves from an airplane, through a filmy airplane window, without a zoom lens on an airplane. Did I say it was from a plane?

Nice photos all, Thanks for posting. To think, there are 9 x 500'+ towers in that last shot, and only 5-6 years ago, just 1.

The cluster in that photo above has a nice variety of finishes. It isn't all glass towers. Once The One is built, it will have yet another tone added to up the variety even more. Yonge and Bloor is looking good.

I totally disagree, the non-glass buildings in that cluster are totally distasteful with no architectural merits. These are not Ottawa or Chicago type non-glass high rises here.
Toronto really lacks behind in overall architectural appeal among other World class cities.

While we cannot catch up with the non-glass buildings (no chance), I wish the City could do more to demand much higher standard design for the Glass ones.

I totally disagree, the non-glass buildings in that cluster are totally distasteful with no architectural merits. These are not Ottawa or Chicago type non-glass high rises here.
Toronto really lacks behind in overall architectural appeal among other World class cities.

While we cannot catch up with the non-glass buildings (no chance), I wish the City could do more to demand much higher standard design for the Glass ones.

Toronto has far better skyscrapers than Ottawa. You must have been thinking of a different city. What Ottawa "non-glass" high-rise is better than Scotia Plaza or Commerce Court North, for instance?

The photo you mention above has One St. Thomas, a well proportioned and tastefully detailed Art Deco revival tower that has proven quite popular with affluent buyers.

The Manulife Centre is also a great non-glass skyscraper visible in the photo--a rigid yet carefully designed concrete facade that conveys strength and stability. It's a local icon from the 1960s. I hope it never falls victim to the current wave of uninspired recladding projects that replace distinctive concrete facades from the 1960s and 1970s with generic glass.

Toronto has far better skyscrapers than Ottawa. You must have been thinking of a different city. What Ottawa "non-glass" high-rise is better than Scotia Plaza or Commerce Court North, for instance?

The photo you mention above has One St. Thomas, a well proportioned and tastefully detailed Art Deco revival tower that has proven quite popular with affluent buyers.

The Manulife Centre is also a great non-glass skyscraper visible in the photo--a rigid yet carefully designed concrete facade that conveys strength and stability. It's a local icon from the 1960s. I hope it never falls victim to the current wave of uninspired recladding projects that replace distinctive concrete facades from the 1960s and 1970s with generic glass.
I really wish that recladding wasn't so popular now, Sulton Place is a big loss to an interesting design from a different time, and the new reclad for the Residences of University has been a crazy contrast from its brutalist 60s origin to a fresh, plain 2000s glass surface. Hoping that we'll see less recladding going on, and something like the proposed reclad/redevelopment of the Y&E centre won't happen. Why concrete is a lot less liked now I'm not sure, it
s really defined some past trends.

Tend to agree (so far as recent builds are concerned), though Stern's 1 St. Thomas is probably an exception.

AoD

Earlier today:
IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 2,322
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 2,348