Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Better sense of the roof:
IMG_4759.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,540
Well, the renderings weren't exactly photorealistic, but right, the podium balcony glass was shown as clearer in the renderings. I'm glad it's not. I like the fritted look. Frit cuts down on clutter behind it.

1BloorCornerCrop960.jpg

Attachments

• 1BloorCornerCrop960.jpg
    1BloorCornerCrop960.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 1,599
Well, the renderings weren't exactly photorealistic, but right, the podium balcony glass was shown as clearer in the renderings. I'm glad it's not. I like the fritted look. Frit cuts down on clutter behind it.

View attachment 61696

Fair enough IC42. I appreciate your considerate and rational response. I hope it ends up reflecting the original design concept. I guess that makes me a troll? LOL

Fair enough IC42. I appreciate your considerate and rational response. I hope it ends up reflecting the original design concept. I guess that makes me a troll? LOL

Maybe if your posts were more "considerate and rational" then you wouldn't be dismissed as a troll.

In my fantasy world, I would have axed the podium and just had a grand, 3 to 5 level retail space in a slick tower. I find the podium the least interesting part because of the balconies. I know I'm in the minority here with you all digging balconies on these lower levels, but this doesn't do anything for me and I find it very distracting in appreciating the whole building. It should have looked more commercial and office tower-like at the base rather than these residential units being so obviously close above retail units.

I'm more looking forward to The One getting it right at this intersection.

I believe what is really missing here is lack of contrast on the entire design.
I do not mind the Podium balconies except that the design is totally lost in blank tasteless gray glass color we've all got tired of.

This Tower could have been a "jem" if the balcony glasses were much different color to contrast the rest of the building.
I am asking those architects on this forum to design a conceptual type with say, a black or Dark Blue balcony glass so we can compare them.

In my fantasy world, I would have axed the podium and just had a grand, 3 to 5 level retail space in a slick tower. I find the podium the least interesting part because of the balconies. I know I'm in the minority here with you all digging balconies on these lower levels, but this doesn't do anything for me and I find it very distracting in appreciating the whole building. It should have looked more commercial and office tower-like at the base rather than these residential units being so obviously close above retail units.

I'm more looking forward to The One getting it right at this intersection.

So you would have no podium at all? It may not be 'interesting' in your view, but it does serve an important urbanistic purpose (and this from someone who does not love the tower-on-podium monotony to which we've become accustomed). What do you propose as an alternative?

Back