Toronto 327 Royal York Road | 118.5m | 35s | VANDYK | SvN

Who's we? I prefer streetcars by quite a bit.

Those of us who are forced to use them (the Etobicoke Lakeshore communities are pro-bus, anti-streetcar) - in fact, it was the only community that really did not want the LRT (due to our collective suffering with the 501). Unfortunately most did not understand the WWLRT would be a huge improvement...

Either way, it's fairly obvious when you replace our streetcars with buses, suddenly there's a vehicle every few minutes and it is much quicker. Streetcars come back and you're waiting 20 minutes for it.

I bloody hate those things. Passionately. Ideally the TTC would finally do what the community wants and that's to cut the streetcar service west of Humber Loop. We want our buses, not some garbage technology stuck in traffic and milling about roads with 20-40 min gaps in service because they just suck THAT much.

Those of us who are forced to use them (the Etobicoke Lakeshore communities are pro-bus, anti-streetcar) - in fact, it was the only community that really did not want the LRT (due to our collective suffering with the 501). Unfortunately most did not understand the WWLRT would be a huge improvement...

Either way, it's fairly obvious when you replace our streetcars with buses, suddenly there's a vehicle every few minutes and it is much quicker. Streetcars come back and you're waiting 20 minutes for it.

I bloody hate those things. Passionately. Ideally the TTC would finally do what the community wants and that's to cut the streetcar service west of Humber Loop. We want our buses, not some garbage technology stuck in traffic and milling about roads with 20-40 min gaps in service because they just suck THAT much.

The reason bus replacements are more frequent than out of service streetcars is because it's TTC policy to over service routes in that situation. If a formal change is made you will simply have one bus scheduled every 10 - 20 minutes showing up three at a time every 30 - 40 minutes, likely still with frequent short turns at Kipling. It has zero to do with streetcar "technology" (WTF does that even mean?).

The TTC doesn't want to service remote parts of Lake Shore AT ALL. You will be just like the other fringe parts of the city; Rouge Hill, Meadowvale, Malton; all of them passionately hating the TTC's crappy infrequent bus service, which gets endlessly stuck in traffic, sits at traffic lights for three phases to "stay on schedule", short turns with no warnings, or just drives at 5mph for the whole route. You're extremely naive to think anything will change.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the streetcars, as I enjoy the ride a lot more (I find it hard to read on a bus).

The streetcars only have such large gaps in service because of the turnback at Humber Loop, and the lack of equipment, which makes them schedule them less frequently, not because they are 'not-buses', as you say. These are issues that could be rectified. There is not enough traffic west of Humber Loop for "streetcars stuck in traffic" for that to be the reason that their service frequency is so bad.

With that said, it is hard to prefer streetcars over buses on Lakeshore, when I know that the streetcar service will be abysmal due to the above reasons.

The reason bus replacements are more frequent than out of service streetcars is because it's TTC policy to over service routes in that situation. If a formal change is made you will simply have one bus scheduled every 10 - 20 minutes showing up three at a time every 30 - 40 minutes, likely still with frequent short turns at Kipling. It has zero to do with streetcar "technology" (WTF does that even mean?).

The TTC doesn't want to service remote parts of Lake Shore AT ALL. You will be just like the other fringe parts of the city; Rouge Hill, Meadowvale, Malton; all of them passionately hating the TTC's crappy infrequent bus service, which gets endlessly stuck in traffic, sits at traffic lights for three phases to "stay on schedule", short turns with no warnings, or just drives at 5mph for the whole route. You're extremely naive to think anything will change.

Great, so I'd like a permanent switch to buses as the streetcars are worse.

You can't honestly tell me that a bus every 5 mins that gets you to your destination significantly faster is not a better option over the streetcar. The 145 Express is a godsend.. I cannot stress this more, I get from my front door to my office building in 25-30 mins at most. The streetcar is about an hour even when there is no traffic. I care about two simple things when it comes to my commute: frequency and speed. I don't care about 'comfort'. I will gladly ride on the roof of a bus if it would get me to my destination in 1/2 the time.

To me, purchasing many more streetcars to adequately service the west of Humber Loop will not happen. For that simple reason, I want them to eliminate the 501 west. There's no point, it's bad for everyone.

PS: you should look at a map and measure the distance between downtown and Long Branch/Rouge Hill. LB is not the fringe, it is incredibly close to the downtown core (for TO standards).

Depends. I'll take comfort in the morning. Prefer speed in the afternoon. Definitely take a streetcar over a bus in any case. I do think on these longer routes particularly in rush hour that lrt station distances would have a huge effect on the speed of the service into my area. Unofficially, most here drive to downtown.

Just build the damn WWLRT and there would be no need to argue buses vs. streetcars.

While waiting, they should return a 507 back into service, but terminating further east not at the Humber Loop.

4307468403_a9bf4db169.jpg

I love to see that the OMB continues to screw with the city's planning and mess up communities....good on them. Mark Grimes on the other hand was definitely promoting the development, and we can all smell the BS that he's spewing. The only "development" this guy looks out for are the condo developments where developers and lobbyists promise to give him some benefits in backroom deals. I'm surprised this guy hasn't been audited yet.

I've long noticed that there are city construction projects in his ward where the site gets set up, then no work is done for months and months on end. Somebody is making lots of money from all the equipment that is rented which then sits on site unused for an indefinite period. I can't prove anything so this is entirely conjecture, but it's always been my working assumption that Grimes is somehow getting a cut. The man is extremely slimy and it's always my philosophy to never dismiss as incompetence what can be explained by corruption. Let's not forget that Grimes is the guy who used his position as chair of exhibition place to push for muzik's lease to be extended to 2034 at less than 1/8 of market rent, only to back off when it came up that the proposal would have to be voted on by council.

Last edited:
Sorry, but alleging that Mark Grimes is getting a cut from unused construction equipment rentals is completely loopy. Your dislike of the Councillor is keeping you from applying any logic. No-one is saying, sure you can build in my ward, but only if you agree to take a hit on equipment rentals. It's completely nuts. Any developer who was told that would run to the media immediately. Grimes couldn't stop development in his ward if he wanted to, so why would he make crazy threats that he couldn't keep a secret? He wouldn't.

Wow, this forum got grossly off topic...all this transit talk should be addressed on another forum

Regardless of the investigation by the CBC, the project moves ahead, just check Mimico On The Go Facebook or Twitter

that is not this project, its another project in the Junction.

Makes me wonder if the CBC has something against Stanton. They are making a huge deal over a rather common recommended rejection final report from City Planning.

that is not this project, its another project in the Junction.

Makes me wonder if the CBC has something against Stanton.

Oops meant to post that in JunXion

Back