OCAD U: 100 McCaul | ?m | ?s | OCADU | Diamond Schmitt

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by interchange42, Apr 12, 2016.

1. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

With OCAD gearing up to expand and renovate their main building at 100 McCaul Street, it's time to get a new thread going to watch it unfold. A dataBase file has been established and linked up top, with the one concept rendering posted in it.

Hamiltonian and ADRM like this.

2. P23

P23 Active Member

Can't say I'm crazy about the huge blank box. If it has to be there then maybe they can get students to do a mural on it or something?

3. UrbanFervour

UrbanFervour Active Member

It's D+S... huge blank glass boxes are what they do. :/

4. Mr.Tang

Mr.Tang Active Member

Murals... never again.

stjames2queenwest likes this.
  5. stjames2queenwest

stjames2queenwest Senior Member

Yea I dunno. I don't love it. As someone who has spent too much of their life standing where this glass box is... I dunno. It felt cramped at street level already. I guess a canopy for smokers is considerate and the glass will keep it as bright as possible. the addition is needed, I guess sometimes you have to work with the limited space you have.

6. interchange42

That "huge blank box" is not part of the project; that's the McCaul Street entrance to the AGO without any detail (doors/windows/anything) on it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  7. interchange42

That glass box—if it makes it through to the final design—has both creased fronts on it and "active solar shading" which will tint various panes of glass as the sun moves across it. You'll see both yellow and blue tints in the renderings…

but I'll also reiterate what the front page article states: this is only a concept rendering at this point, and there's still the detailed design work to do, which may or may not end up on Diamond Schmitt's plate.

8. Josh

Josh Active Member

The Alsop addition works because it's above a heritage(ish?) property, slapping on a DS glazed box really ruins the aesthetic along McCaul. I think a better way forward with a renovation would be to have the school address Grange Park - a new grand glazed entry to the park could do a lot of good.

9. bilked

bilked Active Member

I appreciate that the DSAI renderings are only concepts, but everything about that glass box says wrong.

For one, it messes with the very simple dialogue between the original structure and Alsop's brilliant addition. It obfuscates the original building and, thus, the school's history, working against one of the obvious purposes of the Alsop design. It requires the destruction of about 5 tall, mature trees (by far the largest ones on the block). It replaces an important bright, open communal space that is always jammed with students (not to mention hundreds of at-capacity bike parking spots) with a deadened space underneath the box.

I like that OCAD wants to do something with the area between it and the AGO that right now serves as little more than a loading bay. I also do appreciate this is all very preliminary and that I may be tilting at windmills. But I'd hope that whatever design emerges will give this important landmark a great deal more sensitivity than a DSAI box. The last two major additions to the block were Alsop and Gehry. Diamond+Schmitt, frankly, aren't in their company.

stjames2queenwest likes this.
  10. greenleaf

greenleaf Senior Member

Toronto’s OCAD University may boast another city landmark

"OCAD announced Tuesday that its new “Creative City Campus,” a series of renovations and additions to its campus on McCaul Street, will be led by the Southern California architects Morphosis.

The project includes an addition to OCADU’s main building of about 55,000 square feet and a renovation of about 95,000 square feet. And with the engagement of Morphosis, led by the Pritzker Prize-winning architect Thom Mayne, this building could redefine the university’s relationship with the city, and perhaps provide the city with a new architectural landmark."

11. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

12. Lenser

Lenser Senior Member

Great! Intriguing news.

13. ADRM

ADRM Senior Member

It is for sure, though I can't quite square the details of this announcement with the previous announcement of the renovation of the building on the SE corner of Dundas and McCaul; is that building going forward as previously envisioned as a part of this project or did that proposal die?

Super excited to have Morphosis involved now, though.

AlvinofDiaspar likes this.
  14. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Yeah I am totally confused. The website quoted a budget of 40M with multiple components - I think Thom Mayne once said (over the Grad House at U of T) the kind of budget he was given is what you'd get for parking garages in LA...

Reference - UT interview with Stephen Teeple (!!) - http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/06/interview-stephen-teeple-part-1

AoD

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    ADRM likes this.
  15. stjames2queenwest

stjames2queenwest Senior Member

Nice to see Teeple involved as well.

ADRM likes this.