Toronto Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | Arcadis

I can't believe 56 storeys would get approved here – perhaps 45 – but it seems like a leap for the area.

But besides that...who the heck would want to live that close to St. James Town??

You make it seem like it's a war zone. Clearly many people want to live in the area given the amount of new projects that are being built and purchased. This area will be very different in 10-15 years. Freedville used to be a crappy area with warehouses and hookers....and look what it's like now.

I got the impression that this would be a three-tower project, with the tallest tower up to 56 storeys. From post #7 above by urbandreamer:

OPA / Rezoning 10 247063 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Aug 25, 2010 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Meistrich, Allison
(416) 392-7363
Official Plan and Zoning by law amendment to permit the redesignation and rezoning of lands in order that they may be re-developed in three blocks for the purposes of mixed uses.

I got the impression that this would be a three-tower project, with the tallest tower up to 56 storeys. From post #7 above by urbandreamer:

OPA / Rezoning 10 247063 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Aug 25, 2010 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Meistrich, Allison
(416) 392-7363
Official Plan and Zoning by law amendment to permit the redesignation and rezoning of lands in order that they may be re-developed in three blocks for the purposes of mixed uses.

UD's link doesn't work ...
does that mean this project includes all the houses on Glen Road (i think that's the street - the supplemental entry/exit from Sherbourne St TTC station) and go all the way to Parliament ??

6 Glen Road

Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 550
Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 127,702
Lot Size (sq m) 11,821
Proposed Residential Units 1,840
Proposed Storeys 56

127702 / 1840 = 69.4 square metres (747 square feet) per unit, on average (this would include their share of common elements like hallways, etc.)

If the surface area of the lot is 11,821 square metres, then the lot must be something about this size (which would be enough to support three towers, now that I think about it):

6GlenRoad.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe 56 storeys would get approved here – perhaps 45 – but it seems like a leap for the area.

But besides that...who the heck would want to live that close to St. James Town??

it has to start somewhere, if nobody moves in and starts revitalizing the area then it will stay run down forever, i'm sure we'll see more and more new projects coming through here, i do agree about 56 storeys might being a stretch here, seems alittle bit tall but if it was approved it would be awesome! :D

something tells me you've never even been to Bloor and Sherbourne.

I have a hunch that Mongo's site plan is inaccurate. The given site area converts to about 2.9 acres, which would probably include the entire triangle bordered by Sherbourne, Howard, Bloor and Parliament.

One would also need the entire block for three buildings of this size given the City's Tall Buildings Guidelines with regard to limiting distances between towers and the site constraints of the heritage buildings. I'm encouraged by the aggressive application because inevitably the tradeoff in terms of height and density will be the restoration of the historic buildings.

Last edited:
Actually, no it doesn't. 11,821 square metres is equal to a rectangle 100m x 118.21m, which when you look at the Google map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...752,-79.375695&spn=0.006131,0.013733&t=h&z=17

and using the scale bar at the lower left, appears to be somewhat less than the area of the block formed by Bloor, Sherbourne, Howard and Glen.

It is certainly possible that the TTC station will be left alone, though, in which case the project probably extends into the next block to the east.

Actually, no it doesn't. 11,821 square metres is equal to a rectangle 100m x 118.21m, which when you look at the Google map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sour...752,-79.375695&spn=0.006131,0.013733&t=h&z=17

and using the scale bar at the lower left, appears to be somewhat less than the area of the block formed by Bloor, Sherbourne, Howard and Glen.

It is certainly possible that the TTC station will be left alone, though, in which case the project probably extends into the next block to the east.

A quick look (and crude scaling) on TO Maps (http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps) makes me think that the project does extend to the block on the east side of Glen, up to the St. Simon church grounds, particularly if the office building/TTC subway entrance at 625 Sherbourne is excluded. I don't think it includes the block east of Edgedale.

sherbourne2.jpg

I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I had an idea that the abandoned Victorian houses lining the west side of Glen Road should be fully restored into a little restaurant strip along the lines of wonderful Baldwin Village or Mirvish Village, made extra cozy by the fact that it's a dead end street. There would still be plenty of room for the 3 proposed towers, so I don't see a need for demolishing these lovely old houses. It's a great opportunity to bring something cool to a neighbourhood that doesn't have anything of the sort. Wouldn't that be neat?

I hope you're listening, Peter Clewes!

Back