1K     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 305     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Giant Tiger coming to GTA soon
Feb. 18, 2006. 01:00 AM

Giant Tiger plans to open stores in Mississauga and Brampton this spring.
In Mississauga, a 26,000-square-foot store is set to open March 18 at 3200 Erin Mills Parkway in a former Food Basics location. In Brampton, a 38,000-square-foot store is to open April 1 in the Kingspoint Plaza at 370 Main St. N. (Highway 10) in a former A&P grocery store.
Jeff York, the president of Ottawa-based Giant Tiger Stores Ltd., says the company has had good response to its new stores in Ajax, Newmarket, Bradford, Bolton and Acton. "We have had numerous requests from customers to open more stores in the area," he says.
Giant Tiger, a privately held Canadian company, was established in 1961 in Ottawa's Byward Market and now has 159 locations throughout Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and New Brunswick. There are 99 stores in Ontario.
Feb. 18, 2006. 01:00 AM
MARION KANE

My daughter Ruthie was a mere pup — about 6 years old, as I recall — when her dad returned from a shopping spree in search of a party dress with this burning question: "Where did she learn how to shop?"
Apparently, he was astounded to watch my offspring walk into the first store, immediately approach a rack of clothes and begin effortlessly flicking the hangers with one hand — a well-known selection technique — as if this were second nature.
"Guilty on all counts," was my reply, knowing full well that Ruthie had learned the art and wondrous pleasures of shopping under the tutelage of a skilled expert — yours truly.
Many of my well-honed purchasing pointers were gleaned from my mother. Among them: always eat lunch, not dinner, in a posh restaurant; visit high-end stores (the likes of Holt Renfrew and, in her case, Liberty of London) only during sale season and always thoroughly scour the reduced rack for expensive lingerie.
This canny plan has given me a magpie eye (I can spot a designer vintage coat at a Goodwill store from across the room) and a passion for bargain-hunting.
All of which leads to today's topic: the wondrously eclectic retail emporium that's a famous landmark in my new home of Stratford: Giant Tiger.
I'd been here only a couple of weeks when news of its many attractions reached my ears — and my mouth.
At a jolly wine and dessert gathering in late summer, a guest brought a delicious lattice-crowned cherry pie made at the well-known eatery Anna Mae's in nearby Millbank. The pie's source, she freely confessed, was Giant Tiger, where they get daily deliveries of Dutch apple, lemon meringue, raspberry custard and other tasty versions priced at less than $7 a pop.
Soon, I became a regular at this clean, brightly lit store, spurred on by friends' tales of $5 terry cloth bathrobes from a defunct cruise line, brand-name bathing suits for $15 and delectably creamy fudge made in Quebec by Ste. Julie and priced at under $3 for 240 grams.
Seated on a swivel chair in Giant Tiger's second-floor office, where we have a bird's eye view of the entire store, I chat with owners Jack and Pauline Book.
With many years in the retail biz, they bought this outlet as a franchise in 1996 and quickly doubled the space to comprise its current 20,000 square feet.
Giant Tiger is a family-owned Canadian chain with 159 stores located mostly in Ontario and Quebec but expanding rapidly into other provinces. It began with its three-storey landmark outlet in downtown Ottawa 40 years ago and quickly spread, mainly to rural areas. This spring, the GTA will get outlets in Mississauga and Brampton with plans for more.
"We try to have Canadian products," Jack explains, "but not everything we sell is Canadian." Main attractions are fashion and food. "We constantly have new arrivals," he continues, noting there are customers who come daily. "People are on the hunt for treasures," adds Pauline. "You may come in and find we've got a popular item at a very good price."
Yes, I have the spectacular velvet skirt, black beaded top, small leopard suitcase, frozen shrimp and chicken breasts, microfibre cleaning cloths, Mortimer's tourtiere, pear-flavoured white tea, Melitta coffee and crunchy Vlasic dill pickles to prove she's right.
"We cater to a large German and Dutch population," Jack explains as we cruise an aisle rife with Spekulaas cookies, Dr. Oetker pudding mixes and Zwieback rusks. Cadbury's chocolate fingers made in the U.K. and terrific Waterbridge jams from Denmark are other top-notch imports.
Seeking a sugar fix, I recently picked up a package of King Dons made by Hostess. Surprisingly, they are yummy: small dark chocolate mini-cakes covered in dark chocolate with white "cream" oozing from the middle.
Here are two recipes made with items from Giant Tiger, my favourite new shopping venue.
Tuna Bean Salad
Inspired by a Tuscan salad of tuna, cannellini beans, tomatoes and onion, this makes a nutritious, tasty sandwich filling for pita pockets. Use President's Choice Organic Bean Medley but red or white kidney, black-eyed peas, cannellini beans or chick-peas are fine, too. Omit olives, dried tomatoes, if desired.
170g can chunk or solid white tuna, drained
19-oz (540-mL) can beans, drained, rinsed
1-1/2 cups halved cherry or whole grape tomatoes
1/4 cup pitted black olives, quartered
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, sliced
1/2 red onion, peeled, quartered, thinly sliced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
Salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In serving bowl, break up tuna with fork. Add beans, tomatoes, olives, tomatoes and onion. Stir gently to combine.
In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and mustard. Add to salad; stir gently to combine. Taste; add salt and/or pepper if necessary. Garnish with parsley.
Makes about 4 to 6 servings.
Caramelized Pineapple
Inspired by a dessert prepared by students at Northwestern Secondary School right here in Stratford and their clever chef/teacher Paul Finkelstein. They used fresh pineapple served with panna cotta and coconut ice cream. Add a little coconut milk to sauce, if desired.
19-oz (540 mL) can sliced pineapple
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup golden or dark rum
2 tbsp reserved pineapple juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon juice to taste, optional
Drain pineapple well, reserving 2 tablespoons for sauce and remainder for fruit salad, smoothies, etc. Pat pineapple dry with paper towel.
Preheat oven broiler.
In large heavy skillet, melt butter and sugar over medium heat; stir in lemon juice and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and beginning to caramelize. Add pineapple in single layer; cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning once with tongs. Transfer to wire broiler rack in single layer.
Meanwhile, reduce heat under skillet to medium low; add rum, reserved pineapple juice and vanilla. Cook, stirring and scraping browned bits from skillet, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. If too sweet, add a little lemon juice.
Place pineapple under broiler; cook until browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
Serve warm drizzled with a little of its sauce with ice cream, crème fraîche or whipped cream.
Makes about 4 to 6 servings.

Three tidbits...

*H&M and Old Navy will both be opening soon in Dufferin Mall. That's right, Dufferin Mall!

*The current construction in Yorkdale Mall is to allow for glass ceilings that will match those in the new addition.

*HMV is still planning on opening stores in TD Centre, The Beaches and at Yonge & Sheppard, but the plan has been delayed about 6-8 months. They are now looking at Christmas 2006 / early 2007.

H&M and Old Navy will both be opening soon in Dufferin Mall. That's right, Dufferin Mall!

Whoa! :eek Any idea where in the mall? Despite my intial reaction, both could do really well there. Dufferin Mall is very short of good clothing retailers.

I wonder why they want to open in the TD Centre? There's a store in First Canadian Place 2 minutes away.

Is the Dufferin Mall expansion north towards Bloor still on?

They would have to move Kent Public School out of the way first....

Cool! Where did you read it
Mac has a "career" section on their website with Sherway openings and I've seen a few postings on the job boards as well.

Not surprised about Urban Outfitters coming to Queen W. I used to date someone in 'management' there and they've been trying to work-out a Queen W site for about five years now. As for H&M, we all knew it was coming. I'm just glad H&M is east of Spadina (a.k.a. "the outdoor shopping mall" portion).

Thankfully, there's still plenty of funkiness to Queen W between Augusta and Parkdale.

I'm so tired of these Queen West stories, it's been a mall east of Spadina for years.

Saturday » March 4 » 2006

Canadian Tire on a roll
Focus on 'Concept 20/20': Adding new stores, bolstering financial services division

Hollie Shaw
Financial Post

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Canadian Tire Corp. is pursuing an ambitious expansion strategy, adding 19 new stores to its network and retrofitting or closing hundreds of others over the next five years, chief executive Wayne Sales said yesterday.

"We are embarking upon the most aggressive growth agenda in Canadian Tire's history," Mr. Sales told a CIBC World Markets retail conference. The strategy will winnow the company's old-store network down to 54 from 117 by 2009 and increase the number of its newest "Concept 20/20" stores to 299 from 53 today during the same time frame.

The 20/20 format refers to outlets that have 20% more selling space and aim to reap 20% higher sales than a traditional store. They were designed to have a greater appeal to women, with wider aisles and a greater complement of home products.

Looking at categories that have been growing over a multi-year housing boom, Mr. Sales noted 49% of the company's customer base is female, "but we were not getting a share of the purses that we wanted."

The 20/20 stores, which were introduced in late 2003, offer more housewares, ready-to-assemble furniture, gardening and home decor products than either the chain's traditional or larger, new-format stores. Male customers are not forgotten, he added quickly, "you can buy ATVs, powerboats, outboard motors."

Bob Gibson, retail analyst at Octagon Capital Corp., said consumer shopping trends have led to a proliferation of big-box retail developments, with Canadian Tire joining Staples, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, and competitors Home Depot and Rona.

"Now you might have a Canadian Tire in the same power centre as a Rona and a Home Depot and it's a huge destination and they actually do phenomenally well in a place like that. The other guys have more of a [big ticket] shopping thing going. Canadian Tire is more about convenience items, and maybe you'll pick up one or two other little things while you are there."

The company will replace, retrofit or expand 80 stores this year, Mr. Sales said, and will add another 1.5 million square feet, or eight stores, in 2006. Revenue at the retailer's 462 stores rose 8.4% to $9.09-billion last year.

Mr. Sales also outlined plans to increase business in its financial services division, which obtained a banking licence in 2003.

The average monthly card balance on the retailer's branded MasterCard is $1,614, compared with the industry average on all other credit cards of $2,460. Increasing the balance proportionally on Canadian Tire's card could add another $1.5-billion in credit card receivables annually, Mr. Sales said.

The retailer is also planning to introduce new financial services products.

These include variable-rate cards and gold cards, and the company is testing a 'gas advantage' points card in Ontario that can be used for discounts. Other bank products such as mortgages and GICs are also in the works, he said.

Another key strategy focuses on shifting more of its product sourcing offshore for access to less expensive goods. The retailer aims to see 48% of its sales from offshore sourcing in 2009, compared with 34% in 2005, and plans to add new and exclusive products.

- - -

CANADIAN TIRE CORP.

Ticker: CTR.NV/TSX

Close: $64.40, down $2.10

Volume: 396,794

Avg. 6-month vol.: 235,895

Rank in FP500: 36

HOISTING UP AN OLD BUSINESS:

THE COMPANY

The long-time Canadian retailer, with sales of $9.09-billion last year, up 8.4%, is undergoing an expansion strategy that puts an emphasis on larger stores.

THE TARGET

Long considered a chain that catered to men, Canadian Tire's new stores aim to boost sales to women by offering more housewares and home decor than traditional stores.

THE SPACE

Plans are in place to add 1.5 million square feet of retail space in 2006, or eight stores. They currently have 462 stores and will increase that to 481 by 2009.

THE FORMAT

The new 'Concept 20/20' format offers 20% more selling space with a goal of 20% higher sales. The plan is to increase the number of these stores from 53 to 299 in five years.

There were plans to put a Canadian Tire store on the sw corner of Lakeshore and Leslie in the east end. The old brewers retail warehouse has been levelled. Any idea when they plan to start construction?

Whole Foods was suppose to go but has sinced pulled out. I also understand that Canadian Tire is no longer going in as well.

Was that ever more then unsubstantiated rumour? I can't really see them going into the Eaton Centre... not really their target at all.

^Really? Both Whole Foods and Canadian Tire are gone now from the plans? What's left? Just Best Buy?

Le Chateau may put itself on the auction block
Last Updated Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:58:09 EST
CBC News
Clothing retailer Le Chateau Inc. will consider proposals for a merger or the outright sale of its business, the company said Tuesday.

In a statement released before the opening of stock markets, the Montreal-based company said it is evaluating strategic alternatives, including the sale of the company, a merger or a capital reorganization.

Le Chateau has hired Genuity Capital Markets as its financial adviser. It said the evaluation process could take several months.

"This step is a natural and logical part of our evolution and growth and we believe that this is the right time to review such opportunities in the best interest of Le Chateau and all of its shareholders," said company chairman and CEO Herschel Segal.

Le Chateau has 180 retail locations in Canada, and five more in the New York City area.

Over the past year, shares of Le Chateau have ranged from a low of $24.71 to a high of $55.75 on the TSX.

The stock was up more than 12 per cent Tuesday on the TSX, gaining $5.95 to reach $53.85.

I hope this isn't a repost but Lee Valley is coming downtown to King and Portland. This is an interesting reflection on the whole Urban Home Depot discussion as far as the integration of a "big box" store into an urban environment.

go to link to see a picture of the new store on KW. Note the site highlights "Metered/pay parking available nearby or take TTC".

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Lee Valley?

In other news, American Apparel will be opening a store soon @ 338 Yonge St (just next door to Sunrise Records).

Back