Toronto MuseumHouse | 71.01m | 19s | Yorkville Group | P + S / IBI

...twinning the Museum House project, replacing the "lost" laneway with a pedestrian/public lane way behind the site, wrapping around to Opus on Prince Arthur? I noticed a house behind M.H's lot is currently undergoing renovation, with a large laneway conveniently lining up with M.H's.....

Since I can't devulge any 'official' information, I'll respond with...;)

What about the parking lot behind the site? A part could be turned into a midblock square with cafes?

This bodes very well for the area.. I can't wait to see what will happen.

Filip,

Re-read urbandreamer's post - I think you misinterpreted it.

Oh nevermind.. I thought the alley would straight through to Prince Arthur.. I guess it zigzags around the parking to get to it then... Still.. Lots can be done, and this would make the back of the Bazis property more interesting, possible cafe locations?

25 July 2008 photo update

Curious to see how much room is behind the 200 and 204 Bloor St West sites, I took a little walk late this afternoon behind the properties. Here is the view facing from the lot line back towards Bloor St West:

And here is the parking lot/open space behind the Sheldon Esbin properties--medical building/200 and 204 Bloor St West:

Conclusion?

Congratulations Mr Esbin, Toronto has a visionary developer! At last! This site is vast, and I think what he has in mind is a very Yorkville/Old York Lane solution--think retail, cafes, condos and a very intimate feeling--perfect for UofT meets rich East Annex/Yorkville types!

What we need: a good red brick loving architect! (Need any further clues...?;)

Since I can't devulge any 'official' information, I'll respond with...;)

Just back from the public meeting about the neighborhood. Based on what Adam Vaughan said, what it appears that ProjectEnd was hinting at is that there's some kind of wrangling going on between the developer and the city with regards to access to the laneway, and whether the city can impose its vision of how traffic should circulate. The issue is currently being lawyered.

My inference is that this affects the building's design, and is holding up construction until a settlement is reached.

Just back from the public meeting about the neighborhood. Based on what Adam Vaughan said, what it appears that ProjectEnd was hinting at is that there's some kind of wrangling going on between the developer and the city with regards to access to the laneway, and whether the city can impose its vision of how traffic should circulate. The issue is currently being lawyered.

My inference is that this affects the building's design, and is holding up construction until a settlement is reached.

Sharp tonight aren't you SNF? It is not necessarily the building's design which will be altered (though it will, and you are right to note that), but rather the promises which were made to buyers in terms of their ease of car usage.

Walking along Bloor this evening I noticed some shoring equipment had been deposited on site. One of those big pile driver looking rigs. Not sure what the correct term is.

5SEPT2008 photo update

The equipment. I wonder what is happening re: plans to expand the site?

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

Friday's Globe and Mail ad says "construction starting." Cool. Another thing to look forward to this Fall on Bloor West.:)

Is that laneway going to stay as is?

There was discussion about the laneway at the community meeting a couple of months ago about that.

At the time, city lawyers and Museum House lawyers were sorting out the language regarding the initial purchase agreement for the land by Museum House (or whomever the landowner is) and whether Museum House was allowed to allow cars through the lane.

My thoughts from the meeting were that it was the community's goal to have that lane be a pedestrian only walkthrough (with restaurants and patio seating in the lane) and that cars would get to Museum House and Exhibit Residences parking via the laneway from Prince Arthur. If i remember correctly, the problem with this option is that the Toronto Parking Authority would have to agree to give up a handful of parking spaces to allow this to happen.

As far as I know nothing has been settled yet.

15 October 2008 photo update

Four weeks after my last photo update, I provide another.

DSC00814.jpg

I wonder if the Esbin group is affected by the credit crunch? I know they have deepish pockets, but still, one wonders...?

Or perhaps they're waiting for new equipment to fit on this compact site.

Back