Toronto Montgomery Square | 84.12m | 27s | Rockport Group | RAW Design

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...t-post-office-may-put-up-a-condo-of-some-kind

Developer who bought historic Yonge St. post office may put up ’a condo of some kind’

Published on Friday November 09, 2012

Karissa Donkin Staff Reporter

A historic post office on Yonge St., near Eglinton Ave., has been sold to a private developer, despite months of protest from local residents.

The group, which collected 10,000 signatures in favour of saving the building, received word Friday that Postal Station K has been sold to the Rockport Group with no guarantee the developer will protect the historic integrity of the building, MPP Mike Colle (Eglinton-Lawrence) said.

Jack Winberg, CEO of the Rockport Group, extended an olive branch to the community and said he wants to work with the residents to find a suitable solution to develop the heritage site.

“We know it’s a special site,†Winberg said. “I’ve been reading the press, I know there are a number of constituencies that think the building is important and I agree … but I want consult with the community, the planners and try to come up with a plan that works for everybody.â€

“We’d like to be able to do what we can to preserve the front of the building, the true heritage part of the building. Maybe the back will go and we’ll put a condo of some kind behind it,†Winberg added.

I got a good look at this building yesterday, and you know for an old building it is rather plane.
It doesn't have a lot of the customary detail work especially around the windows. There are
some details for sure especially the entrance columns but they could be kept for an entrance
to a condo. Would be nice if they kept the set back though.

I got a good look at this building yesterday, and you know for an old building it is rather plane.

There are reliefs of a train and of a ship on the front facade, but no plane.

As 30s "stripped classicism" goes, it's an interesting paraphrase of London's RIBA building
250px-RIBA_London.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.NY21.59

Summary

At its meetings of October 2, 3 and 4, and October 30, 31 and November 1, 2012, City Council passed resolutions expressing: 1) its commitment to designate Postal Station “K” as a heritage property (NY 18.36) and that 2) any application to re-develop must address the need to create a public open space (MM 27.7).

In early November, Canada Post confirmed the sale of Station K to a developer (Rockport). Since then, the developer has met with Community groups and with City staff to discuss its development plans.

The developer has indicated its intention to work with planning and heritage staff and the community on a proposed development which will provide for the retention and enhancement of the public open space, the retention and reuse of the front portion of the building, the demolition of the rear portion of the building and the construction of a residential building on the property.

In this regard it is appropriate that Council clarify that its commitment to designate Postal Station “K” as a heritage property, is with respect to the front portion of the building and the open space in front of it only.

Further, the developer has suggested that it could secure Canada Post’s cooperation to move the Heritage Designation process forward in conjunction with the developer’s planning applications to ensure the Heritage objectives of City Council are secured.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. City Council resolves that its previous resolutions to commit to designate 2384 Yonge Street as a heritage property relate to the two-storey limestone, or front portion of the building and the open space between that building and Yonge Street; and that in aid thereof heritage and planning staff are directed to meet with the developer to pursue a process which will secure Council’s Heritage objectives as the developer’s planning applications are considered.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/develo...ure+of+postal+station+k/6442798134/story.html

Developer will preserve historic nature of Postal Station K

James Armstrong, Global News : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:24 PM

The developer is now confirming that it will not tear down the historic building.

“I think the message was very clear as to what the community wanted,” President and CEO of the Rockport Group Jack Winberg said. “We’re going to keep the front fourty per cent of it as it is but substantially renovated and improved.”

Winberg told Global News that the development aims to keep the important, historic part of the building - referred to colloquially as the “jewellery box” - for the public’s enjoyment and build a condo rising twenty-six storeys behind it.

Read it on Global News: Global Toronto | Developer will preserve historic nature of Postal Station K

Link via Urbanation

Last edited:
2388 Yonge street (26s)

Add one more to the Yonge/Eglinton area........

2388 YONGE ST
OPA / Rezoning 13 127993 NNY 16 OZ Ward 16
- North York Mar 4, 2013 --- --- --- ---
New 26 storey mixed use commercial residential developm
ent

Last edited:
Curious did they give you a reason ?

Or the typical too many condos rubbish ... I'm a resident and for the most part that's the only reason I've been given. Nothing in particular about the design, heck many do not even state extra traffic as a concern.

Anyway, personally I think its great; First they're keeping the front in tact while the rest of the building wasn't anything special at all. I really hope they plan for retail at the base, the plaza in front is already nice but more seating would be nice.

Height wise I'm on the fence, I think something a little shorter may be better suited but I'll need more details.

Design wise its a little early to tell. Looks a little like building just south of Eglinton on Redpath (with the white panels that stick out) that actually turned out very well.

A couple area residents were telling me how displeased they were with this proposal, along with the one on the SW corner.

[/photos/roxxstarr/8669855194//8387/8669855194_08c0eb9129_b]
[/photos/roxxstarr/8669855194]

[photos/roxxstarr/8669839280/]farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8669839280_4c97bf9448_b]
[photos/roxxstarr/8669839280/]

rendering looks surprisingly nice.

It doesn't matter of this building proposal was 10 storeys or 60 storeys. The response from the NIMBYs would be exactly the same: It's too high!

Back