Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

Careful, you might get yelled at for posting nothing new.

John Bentley Mays always has something new to consider, or is at least always worth reading because so many people read him: read John Bentley Mays and you'll know what others know about a project. Mays' name is quotable at the best parties too: read his stuff and you'll have something you can cite in conversation. Anyone who doesn't nod and smile is an ignoramus.

I'd like this design more if the zigguraty bits actually resulted in real setbacks, creating real terraces, instead of what is essentially just tiny, notched-in balconies. Of course, gradually terracing all the way up would blur the distinction between podium and point tower, and then some peoples' heads would explode.

terracing would be nice, but it would reduce the floorplate size with each floor, affecting the bottom line.

No, it wouldn't. One, they wouldn't be forced to have a terrace on every side of every floor of the tower. Two, a fairly large amount of square footage becomes available by sloping more continuously from the bottom to the top of the tower, filling in the space above the podium with many gradual setbacks. And, even, three, they might be able to charge more for the units...for a building inspired in part by ziggurats and located near the lake, there's very few actual terraces.

No, it wouldn't. One, they wouldn't be forced to have a terrace on every side of every floor of the tower. Two, a fairly large amount of square footage becomes available by sloping more continuously from the bottom to the top of the tower, filling in the space above the podium with many gradual setbacks. And, even, three, they might be able to charge more for the units...for a building inspired in part by ziggurats and located near the lake, there's very few actual terraces.

well, yeah, if they made the bottom floorplates of the tower larger, then it would be a larger project and allow for gradual setbacks. That would be lovely. I was assuming that they kept the bottom of the tower the same as the render and terraced from there. Regardless, gradual setbacks would make larger terraces and improve the look of the building. I'm all in favor of larger outdoor spaces in Toronto condos. The small balconies of many of the condo buildings is a shame imo.

well, yeah, if they made the bottom floorplates of the tower larger, then it would be a larger project and allow for gradual setbacks. That would be lovely. I was assuming that they kept the bottom of the tower the same as the render and terraced from there. Regardless, gradual setbacks would make larger terraces and improve the look of the building. I'm all in favor of larger outdoor spaces in Toronto condos. The small balconies of many of the condo buildings is a shame imo.

No, you wouldn't need a larger bottom floor. [Re-]read what I posted.

I'm all in favor of larger outdoor spaces in Toronto condos. The small balconies of many of the condo buildings is a shame imo.
Not when you consider how much they're actually used. They also pose design obstacles that architects often struggle to address. I'd prefer to see more shared outdoor amenity spaces (like rooftop terraces) rather than neglected balconies that end up being used as eyesore storage areas.

I found the PR person on this project at GG, and she said final designs have not even started. She does not expect the sales centre to open until the fall. Which could mean winter......

I came across these images:

537_parkside_development_4b13ffa34c9b9_264_264_both_.jpg
538_parkside_development_4b1d37f5c51c4_264_264_both_.jpg

I wonder if the de-evolution of the 'terraced' proposal has begun? the second rendering looks like a typical glass box ~ :confused:

542_parkside_development_east_bayfront_parkside_aerial_view_264_264_both_.jpg
559_sherbourne_park_ebf_sherpark_264_264_both_.jpg

sources:
http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/east_bayfront/parkside_development
http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sherbourne_park

I wonder if the de-evolution of the 'terraced' proposal has begun? the second rendering looks like a typical glass box ~ :confused:

No, the second rendering was based on some of the initial massing studies for East Bayfront. If you go through the East Bayfront Urban Design Guidelines (31 mb pdf) you will see the massing for Parkside the same as the second rendering, just not as "renderized" with more 'realistic' cladding. Waterfront Toronto wouldn't allow for the selected submission for Parkside to be de-tuned.

Last edited:

Back