Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

Went by the area yesterday - photos can't really capture how good it looks in person. They've done a great job with the cladding. Can't wait to see it when it's all lit and bustling next year

What I like about Monde: Simplicity/solidarity of design (such as pic 3), narrowness of that tower especially in N-S corridors, workmanship (all those precast sections fitting seamlessly such as pics 4, 5), cladding and glazing, attention to detail (6,7,8) and those balconies!

What I dislike about Monde: Nothing.

Cool zig-zag pattern enhanced by the narrow white stripping against the balconies from this angle...

Monde1.jpg

Lifting of precast to area framing the swimming pool.

Monde2.jpg

Love the simple, single pane windows that will inhabit much of the podium section.

Monde3.jpg

Monde4.jpg

Newly installed...

Monde5.jpg

The installation of precast on the interior area of the skylight section of that balcony...

Monde6.jpg

Monde7.jpg

Those narrow strips (with black trim)...

Monde8.jpg
Monde9.jpg

Monde10.jpg

Note the even narrower white strip under that balcony to solidify the clean look...

Monde11.jpg

Monde12.jpg

Monde14.jpg

Art imitates life: it's been raining cats and dogs of late.

Monde15.jpg

Attachments

• Monde1.jpg
    Monde1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • Monde2.jpg
    Monde2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 235
  • Monde3.jpg
    Monde3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 251
  • Monde4.jpg
    Monde4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 213
  • Monde5.jpg
    Monde5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
  • Monde6.jpg
    Monde6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
  • Monde7.jpg
    Monde7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 213
  • Monde8.jpg
    Monde8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • Monde9.jpg
    Monde9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • Monde10.jpg
    Monde10.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • Monde11.jpg
    Monde11.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 304
  • Monde12.jpg
    Monde12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
  • Monde14.jpg
    Monde14.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • Monde15.jpg
    Monde15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I thought the glazed windows were clear on top of the podium. The dark glazed windows the with the white pin stripe pannels will make the building stand out even more!

Toronto can finally lay claim to having its own Safdie masterpiece--a mere 50 years after the first one in Montreal. (51 when it's actually finished.) Better late than never.

I hope this building comes with some nice night lighting because I have the feeling that this is going to be the best building on our waterfront. The placement of the balconies is going to be very different (and cool!) than anything we have right now.

Back