Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

The new rendering of the Queens Quay facade shows something considerably blander and less remarkable than the original design. The geometric arch was a focal point of the old design and gave the podium facade a landmark quality. Besides compromising the shape of the arch, they also got rid of the subtle two-tone cladding with stripes in favour of blander monochromatic cladding.

Unfortunately, not surprising at all.....

Today.

IMG_3367.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 368
Yes it it grim down there now but changes (clearly seen) are coming. Give it a few years especially when they finally redo Queens Quay like they did in the west.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the developments, and I'm confident the area will dramatically improve. But if all comments are to be interpreted in terms of what's coming, it becomes difficult to see what use a website devoted to discussion of developments is.

Either way, yes, I look forward to the vitalization of the area.

Improvements beyond what is there today will not come until the streetcar happens. The whole package will happen at once.

That said, I believe they have half of the funding lined up already. Just waiting for the rest once the waterfront transit reset project is done.

Improvements beyond what is there today will not come until the streetcar happens. The whole package will happen at once.

That said, I believe they have half of the funding lined up already. Just waiting for the rest once the waterfront transit reset project is done.

I believe you're correct and, if memory serves, there was discussion about the province dedicating proceeds from the sale of the LCBO lands to "waterfront transit."

To my eye, the missing link (which is not currently on the table) that would really transform this neighbourhood is a holistic redesign of QQ (independent of the transit piece) to significantly slow down traffic, improve the safety of intersections for pedestrians, and facilitate flow between the public and green spaces on either side of the street. Right now, the street's a big old drag strip for cars.

If the whole re-do depends on the LRT--you mean by 'streetcar' the LRT, right?--then I'm not feeling all too optimistic about it happening soon.

Back