Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

This project is the one I'm looking forward to the most on the East Bayfront because of the architecture. Daniels Waterfront looks like it might be a glass slab. But I've always wondered why this project was so much slower to enter the construction phase versus Daniels Waterfront. The first post in this thread is from 2009; the first post in the Daniels Waterfront thread is from 2013. Yet here they are at the same level today.
Because Daniels tends to build and worry about leasing or selling later. GG (and First Gulf) like to have a high % of Units leased/sold before starting construction.

This project is the one I'm looking forward to the most on the East Bayfront because of the architecture. Daniels Waterfront looks like it might be a glass slab. But I've always wondered why this project was so much slower to enter the construction phase versus Daniels Waterfront. The first post in this thread is from 2009; the first post in the Daniels Waterfront thread is from 2013. Yet here they are at the same level today.

Daniels projects move faster because they don't need to borrow money to build. Most builders need financing before they can get started. Daniels does not. They have deep pockets so no need to get financing. I believe Tridel is the same. That's my guess.

Tridel just tends to sell very quickly. Right about Daniels though! (The Conservatory Group also used to be able to build without needing financing, but I'm not sure that remains the case these days.)

Today:

IMG_9136.jpg
IMG_9140.jpg
IMG_9147.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9136.jpg
    IMG_9136.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_9140.jpg
    IMG_9140.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_9147.jpg
    IMG_9147.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 423
This project has been around since I joined the board 7 years ago. I have seen buildings this large go from initial proposal to final completion in that time.. it is very exciting to finally see this taking form. It has been a long time coming.

Slow sales here initially. My take: a poorly located sales office in an unattractive building jammed up against the Gardiner didn't help. Very glad that it eventually reached target sales.

To my mind, and backing up the previous post, this is an important project for the waterfront, both in terms of it's location and the quality of its execution so far.

Back