Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

^ I'm not sure if the land directly surrounding the Transitway stations are developable due to the Parkway Belt West Plan...

^ I'm not sure if the land directly surrounding the Transitway stations are developable due to the Parkway Belt West Plan...

It definitely is the barrier, all of that land is zoned as parkway belt. But let's take a critical look at it. From Ontario's webpage:

The Parkway Belt West Plan was implemented in 1978 for the purposes of creating a multi-purpose utility corridor, urban separator and linked open space system. The Parkway Belt West Plan is a culmination of regional planning, greenbelt and greenway planning.

The four general goals of the plan are:
  1. Separate and define the boundaries of urban areas, thus helping to provide the residents with a sense of community identification.
  2. Link urban areas and areas outside the region by providing space for the movement of people, goods, energy, and information, without disrupting community integrity and function.
  3. Provide a land reserve for future linear facilities (such as highways, electric power transmission corridors, and pipelines) and for unanticipated activities requiring sites of high accessibility and substantial land area.
  4. Provide a system of open space and recreational facilities linked with each other, nearby communities and other recreational areas.
Right off the bat, I need to point out that urban planning has come a long way since 1978, as have land use needs for the broader population.

1. Is a huge ass corridor of green space, a road, a transitway and more greenspace beneath hydro lines the only way to provide "a sense of community identification."
  2. It is possible to redevelop this land and maintain some land space for transportation and other utilities, if we put some effort into it.
  3. We:
    • Do not need a highway here.
    • Already have hydro transmission and pipelines that could be stratified to permit other uses.
  4. This would be the biggest challenge, IMO; balancing redevelopment with ample open space.
All in all, it's something that needs to be re-examined.

The only place you can have development along this corridor is over it on Eglinton Ave.

To reduce the width of the corridor will cost big bucks to relocate the various lines, but the overhead is the killer. Unless you bury the overhead as well reduce the width of the corridor, you can't develop the land use. At the same time, you have NIMBY folks to deal with and one reason part of the corridor is missing.

What this corridor was to cost in 2004 dollars has exceeded that cost with inflation by 3 times the cost that saw huge chunks gutted from it to help to reduce the cost. I said in 2004 the cost was double what was plan, not the figure that was being used to the point I was right. Because of cost over runs, MT service level has taken a hit since the money has to come out someone pocket.

Only 10% of MT riders will use this corridor with GO carrying the bulk of riders and a lot of that will not happen until both ends get extended as plan.

You can build over the Renforth station to increase office space or mix use as well.

Based on info given to me today, no opening day for the Renforth Station at this time, but Metrolinx is planning on having a ribbon cutting event late Nov. The mayors of Mississauga and Toronto are to be on hand along with the Ministry for the feds and MTO; CEO of Metrolinx; various MPs and MPPs; as well council members.

Based on what I saw today for the station, its still behind with some work still not finish that I though would be done a few weeks ago. A December opening date could be had at this time subject to a number of things regarding safety.

Not all the glazing install for the eastbound bays and looks like a few for the westbound; civil work at the front entrance still not completed, but larger boulders being place; some missing handrail install on the south side in the wall, but still a huge amount to install yet; roofing material down for the eastbound platform and waiting for stone material to be place on it; crews working on the sloping roof for installing material for it and the list goes one.

I found out I wasn't the only one saying the station wouldn't open in Sept as plan. Based on what it took Mississauga to get stations open, they were telling Metrolinx 6 months ago it wouldn't be ready as plan, with Metrolinx assuring them it would be. Who has egg on their face today???

Dufferin Construction should have Eglinton back in place by mid Oct like it was before the construction to the point that there will be large space between the road and the railing for the underpass. They are currently working on the eastbound lanes and once done, eastbound traffic will be shift to it to allow construction of the westbound curb. The westbound centre turning lane is built.

It amuse me that people in the know in the same company can tell you 2 different things within hours or days and miWay is another example of it. Current talk that the ribbon cutting will take place on or about Nov 1 with a customer appreciate day taking place after the ribbon cutting with no start date for service to Renforth. This all subject to the station itself being ready. Since pols like weekday events, cutting ribbon could be Nov 1 with customer appreciate taking Nov 4. Service could start Nov 6.

Sept 16 with more photos up on site.
37334913341_666e213bdf_b.jpg

37334912741_eed0d5f9ab_b.jpg

37078635960_ffe5ddc26e_b.jpg

37305101422_327101b4c3_b.jpg

37078648670_04cda4eac3_b.jpg

37078655800_22df5bfd21_b.jpg

37287707166_ea2e40535d_b.jpg

37287717436_38a808aa34_b.jpg

36625665944_eb2cd1a335_b.jpg

36625667264_7776115748_b.jpg

37334961391_afd6bdee3a_b.jpg

37334964931_c45dae2282_b.jpg

Now that the end is neither for Renforth. Is there sense of direction on the downtown connect between Hurontario & Mavis ? I don't really hear anything about it....

Oct 13
Who want to say what the opening day will be???

Dufferin Construction is a sub and will have all the top coat paving done today, except for a small section to the station driveway main entrance. That can't be done until they finish the landscaping and a few other things.

Concrete and footings have been pour for the 3 shelters.

Dufferin Construction should have the Renforth & Eglinton area finish by the end of the month now traffic is back to where it was before.

Based on MT having to push back on 2 opening day service plans to Renforth, nothing going to happen for the 3rd until Metrolinx has the station under their full control and all work is 100% complete. Only then a new date will surface and most likely 2018 that I have being saying all along

empty.gif

Mississauga Transitway
Your hassle-free way to travel
empty.gif

With no rush hour gridlock, buses every 5 minutes at peak hours, and free parking at four stations, the Mississauga Transitway is your hassle-free way to travel.

Check out our new transitway website at transitway.miway.ca to learn more about the benefits of this 18-kilometre, 12-station, bus-only corridor that makes commuting across Mississauga easier.
empty.gif

I was curious to see how heavy the use is of the main (eastern) segment of Transitway now that more routes are using it, so I compiled a consolidated schedule for the AM peak between Square One and Renforth. Here's an excerpt showing a typical half-hour:
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 21.36.32.png

The fastest route end-to-end is GO's 40 Airport Express, which averages 49 km/h, much faster than anywhere on the subway.
MiWay routes average around 38 km/h, which is on par with the fastest segments of subway.
The slowest route is GO's 19 Mississauga-NorthYork because it does a bunch of local service in the Square One area before getting on the transitway.

The AM Peak frequencies are:
Square One - Dixie: 22 buses per hour (every 2.7 minutes on average)
Tahoe - Renforth: 31 buses per hour (every 1.9 minutes on average)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 21.36.32.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 21.36.32.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 626
I was curious to see how heavy the use is of the main (eastern) segment of Transitway now that more routes are using it, so I compiled a consolidated schedule for the AM peak between Square One and Renforth. Here's an excerpt showing a typical half-hour:
View attachment 126113

The fastest route end-to-end is GO's 40 Airport Express, which averages 49 km/h, much faster than anywhere on the subway.
MiWay routes average around 38 km/h, which is on par with the fastest segments of subway.
The slowest route is GO's 19 Mississauga-NorthYork because it does a bunch of local service in the Square One area before getting on the transitway.

The AM Peak frequencies are:
Square One - Dixie: 22 buses per hour (every 2.7 minutes on average)
Tahoe - Renforth: 31 buses per hour (every 1.9 minutes on average)
To compare apples to apples, remove 35 since it only there while the Etobicoke Creek bridges is being rebuilt. Service for 109 & 107 is supposed to be every 5 minutes in 2018 for peak.

Once Renforth opens, route 21 is supposed to be remove as part of the realignment for various routes servicing it.

But the new Airport Express bus is also expected to be introduced in 2018 and that would run on the Transitway.
Yes the 100 will be the airport bus added in 2018, but don't know what GO will be adding to the Transitway in 2018 as well down the road. GO will be adding something around 2020 when Kipling New Regional Hub opens.

Based on what @reaperexpress posted, we have to deal with today service and route 35 is temporary because of bridge work. Until Renforth opens and routes get reline, 21 is part of current service.

A lot of riders are piss off with this rerouting of 35 as it a hell of a walk to get to their stop between Dixie and Etobicoke Creek Stations.

I actually disagree with the fact that the 100 will begin at Winston Churchill Transitway station. It would make much more sense if it began in area where people could actually access the route, preferably Erin Mills Town Centre Area, which is a growth node that has been stripped of its express bus service.

Back