Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Sounds like your overplaying it. Terminal isn't that bad - seems like night and day after the renovations. I'm pretty sure they take more than credit cards - I can't imagine they don't take cash. Last time I tried to show my phone for a Blue Jays game they insisted on paper (perhaps they fixed this now, didn't go this season). And why take a trip through Guelph - the schedule shows which ones are the express.
The awful part of the terminal is having to wait in line while asphyxiating in diesel exhaust fumes and trying to avoid being run over by turning buses -- not technically Greyhound's fault, but still very unpleasant. The credit card issue is if you buy your ticket online, which is often the only way to get a reasonably priced fare (it's been an issue for friends who don't have credit cards -- it's not possible for someone else to buy a ticket for them without paying a huge penalty). But I'll readily admit that much of my hate for Greyhound is not entirely rational -- it's a reaction to the feeling that they couldn't care less about their customers.

Thus, to bring this (marginally) back on topic, I will take the 25 even though it takes 30 to 50 minutes longer.

I am a huge fan of this line.

Effective, fast, reliable, comfortable, high capacity, and safe rapid transit serving a huge area at a fraction of the price of LRT.
The Miss. Transitway is the best rapid transit expansion the GTA has had in a generation and one that Toronto and other parts of the GTAH should emulate.

I am a huge fan of this line.

Effective, fast, reliable, comfortable, high capacity, and safe rapid transit serving a huge area at a fraction of the price of LRT.
The Miss. Transitway is the best rapid transit expansion the GTA has had in a generation and one that Toronto and other parts of the GTAH should emulate.

They are already planning 407 Transitway. Where else did you expect transitway?

This kind of transitway is more for regional transit. It is no alternative to LRT which is more for local transit corridor like Hurontario-Main.

Should or could a grade-separated busway be built along Hurontario, and for a fraction of the price of LRT? I don't understand why you would compare this to LRT.

Because some {ie Miller} seem to think that LRT is naturally superior to BRT which of course is crap. Anyone who has been on the Ottawa Transitway knows how fast it is.

As for expansion, well taking it north via 427 to exit at Woodbine and Humber College would be a natural extension. Toronto should also be trying to take advantage of some of it's Hydro corridors.

As of Jan 4, 2016, Tahoe and Etobicoke Stations go live with the new schedule for Jan being roll out system wide. A lot earlier than the last info I was given.

If for any reasons there is a delay, buses will be on detour until it can open.

100 will not see service until 2017 or when 100% of this Transitway is ready and opening including the Winston Churchill Station.

The Mississauga site is publicly saying that Winston Churchill, Tahoe and Etobicoke Creek are to open in 2016. Its exciting to see more progress.

But what's going on at Square One? Are the foregoing dedicated lanes until the Hurontario-Main LRT is sorted out?

They are already planning 407 Transitway. Where else did you expect transitway?

I would like to see a Transitway on the Gatineau and Finch Hydro corridors personally. There might be some engineering issues to overcome however.

The Mississauga site is publicly saying that Winston Churchill, Tahoe and Etobicoke Creek are to open in 2016. Its exciting to see more progress.

But what's going on at Square One? Are the foregoing dedicated lanes until the Hurontario-Main LRT is sorted out?

Maybe they're phasing it to build both as one project? Would it not make sense to have the northern leg of the Square One loop (and the ROW that goes with it) double as the Transitway ROW through Square One? I'm not sure what the actual plan is, but that would seem like a pretty good reason to delay that segment of the project. That's a definite benefit of BRT: you can stage/delay constructing certain segments of the line and still have a pretty good rapid transit line. Delay the middle portion of an LRT line, and you have two disconnected LRT lines.

So the road is going to go OVER the westbound off-ramp at Winston Churchill and then UNDER the westbound on-ramp? Or is it going to be similar to at Erin Mills Pkwy?

So the road is going to go OVER the westbound off-ramp at Winston Churchill and then UNDER the westbound on-ramp? Or is it going to be similar to at Erin Mills Pkwy?
The transitway doesn't cross any roads at Erin Mills.

At Winston Churchill the transitway will go over both the westbound off-ramp and the NB to WB 403 on-ramp and under both Winston Churchill and the SB to WB 403 on-ramp.

Tahoe & Etobicoke Creek opens January 4th, 2016.

Winston Churchill opens sometime in 2016 for GO Transit only and MT will not start using it with 100 until 2017 when Renforth opens.

Since the ROW is at grade around Orbitor and depending on how fast Spectrum and Orbitor are completed in 2016, another entrace/exit could be built there until Renforth is ready to open. I assuming there will be an emergency entrace/exit at this grade area and why it not in the trench in the first place. When I last saw Spectrum and Orbitor stations a few moths ago, Spectrum was well underway being frame while Orbitor was just starting to get the foundation walls. Its possible that Spectrum and Orbitor stations will go into service either for June or Sept and that is may Winston will go into service.

What going to happen at Sq One is now in the design stage since the LRT has been approved. My understanding it will be a mix ROW on the north side of Rathburn and subject to final design.

Starting in April?, the terminal is close for at least 2 months with bus bays being moved to Rathburn as well removed 100% from it. Route 26 will become a grid route and remain on Burnthamthorpe 100%. Route 34 becomes 35 as a 7 day all day route as a grid. Route 8, 65 and 67 cancel going to Sq One. Some buses may use Sq One Dr and maybe the reason for that large pave area on the east side of the terminal.

I have yet to see Winston so I can't comment on it. From what I saw on the east side of Winston, no underpass under Winston to the station and ROW with a flyover for the off/on ramps on the east side.

The transitway doesn't cross any roads at Erin Mills.

At Winston Churchill the transitway will go over both the westbound off-ramp and the NB to WB 403 on-ramp and under both Winston Churchill and the SB to WB 403 on-ramp.

That seems like a pretty steep grade. What potential impact will that have on future upgradability to LRT? I'm just thinking about Ottawa, where most sections of the dedicated Transitway were designed with upgrade to LRT in mind.

That seems like a pretty steep grade. What potential impact will that have on future upgradability to LRT? I'm just thinking about Ottawa, where most sections of the dedicated Transitway were designed with upgrade to LRT in mind.
Your Great-Great grand child may get a chance riding an LRT, but you got to build the missing link first before you even think about it.

You got to build the ROW in the Hydro corridor between Duke of York and Erin Mills that is currently service by the 403.

The LRT will not do much for Mississauga since the Transitway is a GO Thing in the first place and LRT is not on their radar at all.

The 2004 EA numbers used for the Transitway come 2030 was 25,000 for peak time frame that justify an LRT then, but that number was found out to be system wide at the end. The 90's EA numbers were less than the 80's number with only about 6,000 using the stations on the Transitway in the first place at peak time come 2030.

Even with all the gutting and cost cutting, The Transitway has exceeded the 2004 cost including inflation cost. My 2004 cost was almost double the plan cost and it has been surpass.

The only place an LRT will work is between Sq One and Renforth that connects into the Crosstown Line

I believe conversion to an LRT would be good thing. It would be ideal if the Crosstown were to run up to Ridgeway, but not if the TTC is operating it. If Metrolinx wants transit to be regional it should be operating regional initiatives. Coupled with the Crosstown lines connecting to 2 Subway lines and all day 2 way go service on various connecting GO lines, the need to run GO buses along the corridor may be diminished, as to what extent I'm not sure, but using the 407 would also enable better travel times for those using GO buses.

As for the missing link, I think it would be prudent to build it as an LRT rather than conversion later.

The ridership numbers do need to double in terms of per day usage for it to be feasible but I don't see that as an issue, it will happen eventually. Perhaps, considering burying the Hydro lines can open up some area for development along the corridor.

Back