Toronto Mirabella Condominiums | 120m | 38s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Scott Shields

Park Lake should not have happened, but now that it looks like development is going to continue down here there needs to be a plan. In fact there is one, the Western Waterfront Master Plan, approved by counsel in 2009 and it would seem for the most part shelved since then. The western waterfront is heavily used, mostly with pass-through cyclists and joggers, and really should be a better maintained park. Sunnyside has a nice little cafe but the building as a whole is in terrible shape. There have been some incremental improvements such as the boardwalk but nothing significant.

I actually think that building on the north side of Lakeshore could really improve the area if done properly. Obviously Park Lake does not meet that criteria. The Western Waterfront plan changed the alignment of Lakeshore to remove the large and unused median, creating more park space, and moved the parking lots to the north side (northwest corner of Lakeshore/Windermere -- now being marketed by Build Toronto; and southeast corner of Lakeshore/Ellis). In my view midrise condos/hotels with ground level cafe/patios and wide sidewalks would buffer the park more from the Gardiner, and the developers could be required to provide public parking to make up the parking requirement for the park. I think there is sufficient land area to do this for the full portion south of High Park as well, and the money from land sales and other s. 37 funds could theoretically be used to finance other elements of the Western Waterfront plan. I also think the Lakeshore West LRT should be a part of this, but given that's pretty unlikely I still think the rest of the plan could go through. Unlike some I think the waterfront around Marine Parade is very nice with the condos in behind (though should have more restaurants), and this could be similar but with a much larger park area (albeit much busier road).

Two white wood framing for large signs have been placed on the two south corners of the lot. Could it be signage from the city of Toronto stating there's an application?

I was told, "Yes, the site is being redeveloped to condos".

In addition, 15 minutes after I was told about Carterra, they installed the signs stating it.

I know, it's on their website:

http://www.carttera.com/whatsNew.cfm?showYear=2012

November 2012

Carttera's Urban Intensification Fund 2 recently acquired a 1.1 acre site located at 1926 Lake Shore Boulevard West in Toronto. This site fronts onto Sunnyside Park and has spectacular views of Lake Ontario, High Park and downtown Toronto. Carttera plans to redevelop the site as a residential condominium

They have a recent history of working with Freed & quality architects like aA & CHBA. They've also worked with JDV Hotels on the Thompson, perhaps 89 Avenue Rd & now here? Just a guess on my part based on their history.

We'll just have to wait and see....

Thank you for interest in our project. The site will be converted to a residential project but we are just in the preliminary and initial stages of the redevelopment stage and many details are still to be determined. You can refer back to our website for any project updates as this project progresses.

Sure, but you don't break ground until after a very lengthy, multi-stage process.

First, Carttera typically is the financing end of a project, and they partner with someone else like Harhay or Freed. We don't know who they might partner with here.

Next there will have to be zoning amendment application that will spell out what they hope to build, as nearly every project these days has to be bigger than what zoning currently allows for the project to make financial sense. Once that application is made (and sometimes even before the application goes to the City) a process of consulting the local residents starts to allow those who will be affected by the new building to give feedback. At the same time the Planning Department has the project thoroughly vetted against City standards in all sorts of areas. When those processes are done City Council will vote on whether the project will be allowed or not. Everything in this paragraph normally takes a year or two to happen.

Then there's the marketing. This usually starts before the final City approvals are given, it depends upon the developer. You just never know how long the marketing phase is going to be, how long they will be registering potential purchasers before actually going into sales. Sales can take any amount of time; some projects virtually sell out in their opening weekend (very rarely) while the sales at other projects can take years sometimes to reach the 70% minimum that banks need before they will advance the funds to "break ground". Very little in this city goes up, in fact, without 80% of the units pre-sold.

So, no-one knows when this will break ground because, like I said before, we don't even know what will be proposed here yet, and there is a long process ahead of us here.

Back