Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

Do we really need to be having the same conversation in two threads? A nearly identical one is also happening in the real estate section. In fact this thread was even linked to in that thread!

The way Toronto is growing west, the slaughterhouse days are numbered.
I predict that in the next decade you most likely will see a couple of huge mixed use mid/low-rise development projects on those Maple Leaf Foods/Canada Packers lands and also City of Toronto Yards next door all the way west to Strachan ave. and south to the train tracks.
Yes, no doubt. So if it isn't the condo next door, your view facing West will be terminated within a couple hundred metres.

I hope Freed goes back to his original boutique buildings as 20 Stewart, 66 Portland, 455 Adelaide and 75 Portland with large units and moslty owner occupied and no to what he did at Thompson residences, which in my opinion is horrible, having a building full a 400 sq ft bachelors, which will become a simply rental sofisticated building. the exterior design is stunning, but........

Freed Land Purchase - Bathurst and Front Street

I have heard that Freed Developments has purchased the land fronting onto Bathurst and Front Street. Not entirely sure, but I think this land was previously owned by Context. The purchase price was just over $40 million. I have no other information regarding what is to be developed or when.

Some of you might recall the massive cube-like box once proposed for the site. It will be interesting to see what Freed will do with site.

$40 Million... I would think that means this will have to be a fairly large development or extreme high end prices in order to make it profitable.

well, Freed paid $20 million for the travelodge site and the project thompson residences has like 350 units, most of them bachelors between $600 and $700 psf. $40 million is a lot and I am not sure what they are going to do to make it profitable and that corner is not a very good location, remember the rail track and the future social housing projects close to that intersection

The rail tracks have not prevented the bajillion condos being sold at CityPlace and at all the other locations along the rail corridor to the east (Distillery, Market Wharf) and west (Liberty Village and WQW areas). The affordable housing also will not affect this location. In fact, the block beside the affordable housing will be Context's Library Condos (or something like that) and the new public library and the Garrison Creek Park connecting to Fort York under Bathurst. Actually, this location is not that bad at all.

In fact, the block beside the affordable housing will be Context's Library Condos (or something like that) and the new public library and the Garrison Creek Park connecting to Fort York under Bathurst. Actually, this location is not that bad at all.

We might just see something around 25-30 floors proposed for this location..

We might just see something around 25-30 floors proposed for this location..

I doubt it would happen, but I'd prefer this to what's been proposed. The visual mass of the currently proposed building at street level is just way too imposing. I'd prefer an 8 story building on the Niagara Street side with a 25 story tower right at the Front/Bathurst corner. It keeps the scale of the Wellington Place neighbourhood intact while adding height only at the extreme far edge where it meets the rail lines.

I realize this is above the area's height limits, but there will be several 25 story buildings directly across the rail lines anyway right at Bathurst, so it won't feel out of context or obtrusive. And it allows the developer to create the number of units required to make it profitable – while also keep the building's relationship to the neighbourhood intact.

I have heard that Freed Developments has purchased the land fronting onto Bathurst and Front Street. Not entirely sure, but I think this land was previously owned by Context. The purchase price was just over $40 million. I have no other information regarding what is to be developed or when.

Some of you might recall the massive cube-like box once proposed for the site. It will be interesting to see what Freed will do with site.

The exact price paid was $42 million, equivalent to $401.75 per square foot of site area. There will be some demolition cost to be factored in on top of that. Considering both this rate, and the size of the property at well over two acres, I wouldn't expect a smaller "boutique" style of development. In my opinion, this location, with good clear views to the south and west at least, lends itself to a high rise. Edit: hopefully "stepped down" from the south frontage on Front Street with something lower toward the north.

Last edited:

Back