Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

Awesome, so glad this will rid us of the Lamborghini and Harley dealerships, but the historic building housing Rock Oasis might be seen as a loss. I'm sure it could look handsome if fully restored.

The exact price paid was $42 million, equivalent to $401.75 per square foot of site area. There will be some demolition cost to be factored in on top of that. Considering both this rate, and the size of the property at well over two acres, I wouldn't expect a smaller "boutique" style of development. In my opinion, this location, with good clear views to the south and west at least, lends itself to a high rise. Edit: hopefully "stepped down" from the south frontage on Front Street with something lower toward the north.

From what I have heard, the project will be composed of a number of buildings (the number mentioned to me was four). It's too hard to know right now whether there will be four independent structures or four buildings somehow linked together by some common element. In the end, this could be four distinct condo corporations of various sizes, or one very large one. So there is always a possibility for one or more smaller "boutique" buildings on the site.

That being said, any building fronting onto Bathurst can easily go up to 16 floors. Much higher than that, and there will likely be opposition.

I have also heard that Minto is involved.

Opposition from who..:confused: well maybe from the pig slaughterhouse down the street.:eek:

King-Spadina Secondary Plan.

I know there is an overwhelming desire in some corners to push for 50 floor towers everywhere, but doing that in this particular area puts what is unique about this area at extreme risk.

King-Spadina Secondary Plan.

I know there is an overwhelming desire in some corners to push for 50 floor towers everywhere, but doing that in this particular area puts what is unique about this area at extreme risk.

I doubt 50 storeys, but something along 25 storeys sounds reasonable considering that they are building equal or higher developments very close by...for goodness sake this is Front and Bathurst and not Portland and Queen.

It's part of the same district that includes Portland up to Queen. Tall towers tend to drive land values, which in turn drive taxes, and that results in ever greater development pressure to build up everywhere. What will get lost are the older low rise warehouse buildings in the area as they become increasingly unaffordable to many businesses.

It's part of the same district that includes Portland up to Queen. Tall towers tend to drive land values, which in turn drive taxes, and that results in ever greater development pressure to build up everywhere. What will get lost are the older low rise warehouse buildings in the area as they become increasingly unaffordable to many businesses.

Yes, like the warehouse building at the corner of Bathurst and Niagara. And I believe the building housing Rock Oasis was once the original Massey Ferguson assembly line...?

If there was a way to preserve those buildings, and keep height reasonable to the north, I think a tower situated where the Lambo dealership is would be reasonable. It'll be just across the tracks from the 26 (or so?) story Library condos, so it won't seem out of context.

It's curious how that one article spoke about the retail at the base very matter-of-factly... as if everyone already knew what they were talking about. I haven't seen a thing on this.

From Adam Vaughn's December 2010 newsletter (words slightly rearranged):

Bathurst-Front Planning Meeting

Date: Monday January 31, 2011
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 pm

A community consultation meeting for the Front and Bathurst site has been scheduled for Monday, January 31 at 7 PM to hear details about a proposed development at the north-east corner of Bathurst and Front St W and provide feedback - location of the meeting to be announced.

AHK

From what I have heard, the project will be composed of a number of buildings (the number mentioned to me was four). It's too hard to know right now whether there will be four independent structures or four buildings somehow linked together by some common element. In the end, this could be four distinct condo corporations of various sizes, or one very large one. So there is always a possibility for one or more smaller "boutique" buildings on the site.

That being said, any building fronting onto Bathurst can easily go up to 16 floors. Much higher than that, and there will likely be opposition.

I have also heard that Minto is involved.

I wonder if they are talking about this location..:confused:

Freed Developments also has plans for its biggest project, consisting of 1,200 units done in alliance with the Canadian development company Minto Group,

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/916136--developers-transform-toronto-s-fashion-district

1200 units?!! If it was a single tower, it would be very, very tall....it must be several towers, as suggested...

1200 units?!! If it was a single tower, it would be very, very tall....it must be several towers, as suggested...

Yeah but even if it was 4 towers, that's 300 units per tower, which is like 30 stories each depending on the footprint.

Yeah but even if it was 4 towers, that's 300 units per tower, which is like 30 stories each depending on the footprint.

You do not need 30 stories to accomodate 300 units. I am pretty sure that 80% or 90% of those 1200 units will be bachelors between 300 and 500 sq ft., so with 15-16 stories is good enough for that.

Back