Toronto Minto Long Branch | ?m | 4s | Diamond Corp | Guthrie Muscovitch

Humber Bay Shores is not a "failed community". It has some transportation issues that have to be worked out, like much of the city does.

What are you talking about more specifically when you say "comprehensive plans"? Minto Long Branch is born of one comprehensive plan.

Interchange, i'll have to disagree with you on Humber Bay. That neighborhood is severely lacking in many things and if it was properly planned out, that wouldnt be the case. That includes: schools, a community centre, library, and just about everything else that makes a community vibrant. Compound that with the traffic mess, lack of transit, density compared to infrastructure available (ie: overloading the Manby transformer station) and the end result is a failed community in my opinion.

As for Long Branch, did the city develop a plan for the north side of Lake Shore for both this site and the mini auto mall that will soon be re-developed? I couldnt find one after a quick search. What I meant by comprehensive, was whether or not the developments on these two sites will knit with each other (ie: connecting road networks, relatively similar densities, etc...)

Humber Bay Shores is far from a failed community as it's far from complete. Yes, the area needs stuff—all of those missing facilities will need to go in when the other side of Lake Shore gets developed—but hold your fire, you're shooting prematurely. The Mondelez lands should cement the area as a vital neighbourhood.

Manby Transformer Station issues and any other services that are lacking are the responsibility of the various utilities to keep on top of. If they fail, that's their responsibility to improve. The utilities can stop development from happening until they can service an area, but it's up to them to identify the need for new infrastructure.

No idea what planning has gone on down in Long Branch for North-of-Lake-Shore redevelopment on a multi-property basis, but if the redevelopments are adjacent or at least close by, then typically the City does aim to connect the new roads. That's happening in Humber Bay Shores, for example.

Humber Bay Shore is exactly what it was meant to be; a collection of resort styled high rise complexes that offer views and parkland. It's not a failure. It's too successful.

The area was just packed this weekend, like much of the city's waterfront. The parks certainly work. As the trees grow, they are getting better. The shops and restaurant options are getting better as more open: Eau du Soleil will add significantly to those, while other new buildings are bringing on a bit more commercial space at a time.

That area will need community services as the population increases, like @Amare notes, and those should be included as part of the redevelopment of the Mondelez Lands.

I admit I know much less about what about what's going on down in Long Branch, but this Minto development and any surrounding ones are all being built adjacent to mature neighbourhoods which have been served with schools, etc., for years.

Humber Bay Shores is far from a failed community as it's far from complete. Yes, the area needs stuff—all of those missing facilities will need to go in when the other side of Lake Shore gets developed—but hold your fire, you're shooting prematurely. The Mondelez lands should cement the area as a vital neighbourhood.

No idea what planning has gone on down in Long Branch for North-of-Lake-Shore redevelopment on a multi-property basis, but if the redevelopments are adjacent or at least close by, then typically the City does aim to connect the new roads. That's happening in Humber Bay Shores, for example.

What happens with the Mondelez lands in my opinion will either help improve a deteriorating situation, or put the final nail in the coffin for that neighborhood. If there's even an ounce of residential development that goes on there it's not going to help the situation there at all, but we'll have to wait and see what happens there.

I cant speak for the neighboring proposed development with the mini auto mall since there no documents anywhere to be found; but i'm pleased with Minto here because I believe they easily could have proposed numerous condo towers here and gotten away with it. The park that will be located within this development will help make a pedestrian friendly area instead of a car oriented development.

It's amusing how this development has access to better transit compared to Humber Bay and with how Metrolinx has been non-committal to a Park Lawn stop when asked, who knows if and when that will change.

The only thing deteriorating at Humber Bay Shores is the transportation situation. Otherwise it's improving.

I'm hoping there will be more residential when the Mondelez plan is finished. It needs to have a little of everything: mixed-use is where it's at. It should have significant office and retail, a school or two with athletic grounds, a library and community centre, and another half dozen condos, all arranged around a pedestrian mall that takes people to the new transit hub that meshes GO with local TTC bus and streetcar lines. That's what the area around every GO station should be similar to, given enough space. There's definitely the space there.

Meanwhile, Long Branch station is a few minutes walk from Minto Long Branch, so that's good, but what it needs is more frequent streetcar service.

2e22569b-11a4-483e-b536-67498ac227eb_zpsmkw2ea8t.jpg

Last edited:
Mods NOTE: 11 4s townhouses are being built and no 12s buildings as Phase 1. Phase 2 is behind Lakeshore Honda. Phase 3 will be retail/? along Lake Shore where the Beer Store was and empty at this time.

3526 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
Ward 06 - Etob. York District

►View All Properties

Proposal for 379 stacked townhouse units, 35 townhouse units 5 commercial units (879.6sqm of commercial space).
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 269688 WET 06 SA Dec 21, 2016 Under Review

You're right drum, the dealership lands are now incorporated into Minto Longbranch 2.

upload_2016-12-23_11-43-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-23_11-43-46.png
    upload_2016-12-23_11-43-46.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 1,063
Phase 1 all built. Phase 2 under construction (behind the playground in the third photo). Phase 3 going under construction in the last photo.

DSC04489.jpg

DSC04487.jpg

DSC04486.jpg

DSC04485.jpg

DSC04484.jpg

DSC04491.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04484.jpg
    DSC04484.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC04485.jpg
    DSC04485.jpg