Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

/\ Wrong project. I want the renders from 3D's Piazza-style development which would mass most of the towers on the south side (I believe?), leaving the rest open to a 'town-square' style space. The thread is in Buildings and Architecture.

OK Project End... I finally took the bait. 2 friggin' hours on one building (a medium rise that represents no more than 5% of the render).

So stop me now or give me your commitment (pro or con) to get some friggin' discussion happening when I deliver this masterpiece.

OK Project End... I finally took the bait. 2 friggin' hours on one building (a medium rise that represents no more than 5% of the render).

So stop me now or give me your commitment (pro or con) to get some friggin' discussion happening when I deliver this masterpiece.

You have my solemnly-sworn word 3D, I'm quite excited!

Look what I stumbled across as I was finishing my towers + piazza rendering that I called St. Mikes Square (now renamed "Cathedral Square").

The height and massing of this Lancer rental building is very similar to the latest elevation, but the so-called architecture has been compromised big time (I liked the faux gothic elements in previous incarnations).

I suppose the only good news is it is rental thus a start is imminent... or maybe that's bad news... rental = Jazz quality construction??!

(P.S. watch for my Cathedral Square concept and render later today in the "3D Paint by numbers" thread in the Architecture section. I expect all 3 of the potential visitors to this thread to comment thoughtfully.....

The Metropolitan:

lancer.jpg

Nice find and thanks.

I do not mind the fact that we are not getting faux gothic. It probably would have looked ridiculous in the end.

As for this building, it would be nice if the cladding was actually that 'blue', as a refreshing change from the usual. As well, let's hope the street level retail is done decently. This section of town could use a boost.

The tower itself, as architecture? Well....it could have been worse. (??)

800 parking spaces for 442 units seems excessive. Is it including a public lot as well since, I assume, the current surface lots are going?

As for the design I would prefer the setbacks start sooner with floor plates at the top smaller than what they envision.

The de-faux-i-fication seems to come with excessive blandification. Here, I'm almost willing to empathize with those defenders of faux...like, "is this it?"...

There really needs to be a Photoshop filter to turn rendering colours into real colours. ("De-Renderize Image"?) For instance, in this rendering, it would take the bright blue windows and turn them a sludgy grey, and turn the beige panelling a pre-cast off-white.

The de-faux-i-fication seems to come with excessive blandification. Here, I'm almost willing to empathize with those defenders of faux...like, "is this it?"...
True, but maybe it's one of those projects thats trying not to get noticed. Instead it defers to the more significant landmarks in the area (St. Mike's and Metropolitan). Sort of like how Market Square exists in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood.

I'm afraid that this one will not be able to hide: from Queen Street this hack job will loom over Metropolitan United and the park in front of it. This plan is no better than some retrograde mid-Scarborough suburban semi-slab semi-point-tower, and looks worse than Jazz by a country mile. Shame on Metropolitan United for not demanding better for their backyard.

This is what RoCP could have been, had it been done even worse.

Yuck.

Back