Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

I'm not saying it has be either/or. I'm saying it has been over ten years. We've also seen many ill conceived approaches to incorporating half buildings with a less complex built form and with much better street interfaces than this one.

The parsonage, as was just discussed just a dozen posts ago, is proposed to be moved south on Bond Street beside the church. It's a designated heritage building. I assume that demolition is going to be a careful one.

Perhaps some movement on cleaning up the parking lot? Or more church maintenance?there is some construction equipment parked in the lot.. I noticed they took out the chess boards out front of the park recently.. perhaps a Reno of the church grounds? Any word on that demo permit?

IMG_0682.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 650
They have installed pretty extensive LED lighting throughout the lot, and are re-doing the entry-exits with new kerbs out of poured concrete. I would say this is becoming a parking lot. Makes sense in a way—across from St. Mikes with all the other surface parking lots in the district gone / going the value of the land for parking has gone up. 25-30$ a day I believe?

Talking to a nearby property owner who's wife is a parishioner, the scuttlebutt is that:

a) the parsonage is being renovated into a restaurant.
b) development is off the cards for now because of the inability to get the density wanted because of the heliport on St. Mikes (duh!)

Here it is today:

IMG_5937.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5937.JPG
    IMG_5937.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 611
Talking to a nearby property owner who's wife is a parishioner, the scuttlebutt is that:

b) development is off the cards for now because of the inability to get the density wanted because of the heliport on St. Mikes (duh!)

May the development be permanently scuttled!

This remains a near perfect spot for public parkland.

The City's buy's the grounds, the Church doesn't have to maintain them, you can showcase a couple of heritage properties, re-do Bond street beautifully w/a pedestrian orientation.

Condos should never have been conceived of at this location.

I like the idea except I'd add a low rise public amenity building along Shuter forming an imitate green space between it and the church.

If security is an issue than a fence with hours of operations would do more than eyes on the street.

They have installed pretty extensive LED lighting throughout the lot, and are re-doing the entry-exits with new kerbs out of poured concrete. I would say this is becoming a parking lot. Makes sense in a way—across from St. Mikes with all the other surface parking lots in the district gone / going the value of the land for parking has gone up. 25-30$ a day I believe?

Here it is today:
That is so cool! I was just talking recently to a friend how the parsonage would make for an awesome restaurant.

Last edited:

TY for this.

This paragraph from the report brought a smile to my face.

In 2003, City Council approved an Official Plan Amendment and a Zoning By
-Law Amendment to permit the development of a 36-
storey residential tower on the northern portion of the site.
The proposal involved the retention of the Parsonage
building and its relocationon the site.
Demolition of a historic addition to the Parsonage building
was approved and was undertaken in 2008.

The development is not being pursued at this
time because a flight path to St. Michael's Hospital's helicopter pad was established
over the site, and a tower cannot be constructed within the flight path

Now if we can just get that lase sentence changed to .....not being pursued ever.

It could eventually occur.. but the building would probably have to lose 15 storeys.

If you ask me, this would be a great spot for a new city park. The city could buy the land from the church and the church could use the money for a full restoration a la St Mikes.

Back