News   Apr 25, 2024
 142     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

Anne-Marie Mediwake announced last night was her last CBC Toronto news broadcast. She is leaving "to persue new opportunities".

Hmmm....to make room for Matt Galloway?

It's an old school mentality these days, but I doubt they break from the man-woman pairing. Unless of course they let Dwight Drummond go and bump up Galloway.

Would it even be a bump up for Galloway to move to the tv dinner time newscast? It would mean moving to the (IIRC) fourth place tv newscast from the number one radio morning show with a much larger audience.

Reactions: DSC
Good point, but he clearly wants something more that what he has now, what with podcast playlist and that other tv show he is working on. And if they are giving Gill Deacon a national show with Q, as appears to be the case, they will have to do something to keep Matt happy.

Not to mention he usually hosts CBC Radio's Olympic coverage, which isn't what one would normally think of as being a natural progression for one of Radio One's local morning hosts. I wonder how that goes over at CBC Sports (mind you, Matt has been doing it since Beijing so I can only assume they are over it).

I think he may at some point jump to a national role. Whether that means he has to give up Metro Morning, I don't know - depends on the nature of the opportunity(ies). It's apparent from listening to him that he loves the medium of radio - it seems like he spends half his spare time listening to radio shows and podcasts from across the world. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't jump to TV, but my assumption (perhaps incorrect) is that he's more likely to become the Peter Gzowski of the new millennium - someone with that sort of high profile nationally.

I'd be surprised if local TV is on his radar, except perhaps as a compliment to what he is already doing.

ETA: Just to add, I have no particular insight. As a typed this, Galloway could have been signing a contract to host an evening call-in show on CP24 for all I know.

Query whether they would move him to local tv news for a year or two as prep to take over from Mansbridge, in the event they ever manage to get rid of him.

I always assumed Galloway did Olympic coverage because he came from sports, and they need extra bodies during the Olympics.

Did Galloway come from sports? Years ago, I imagine when he was a writer for NOW, he apparently did segments for Metro Morning covering World Cup parties in all the city's ethnic enclaves, but it sounds more human interest than anything. Did he cover sports for NOW? Soon thereafter, he was a host of Here & Now IIRC. Maybe I am wrong, but I would have thought hosting the Olympics would be a fairly plumb assignment. I would have thought some noses would have been out of joint at CBC Sports for them to pick someone out of the sports division (I don't think he's ever strictly done sports at CBC). I might be wrong. Either way, it's a testament to how highly he is regarded at the Mother Corp.

Galloway as a replacement for Mansbridge? Maybe. I guess that's the big job unless he wants to leave CBC. If that's his goal, I think he needs to bump up his national profile, and local suppertime news is likely not the way to do that.

Galloway's interviews in sports-related guests is always informed, asking the right questions and top-notch, so I would not be surprised to learn he does have a sports-background.

Just googling his bio, I don't think he does. At least it doesn't appear to have been a major component of his career. Even if he did some sports work in early days, hasn't be for a really long time (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Agree completely, though, that he handles sports-related interviews really well. It's partially why he is so successful at what he does (he didn't just hold on to Andy Barrie's audience, but he built on it). A good morning host needs to be able to do great interviews whether the topic is political, social, economic, sports-related, cultural, etc.

My point was merely that CBC Radio reached outside of the sports division for hosting of its Olympics coverage, and gave the job to someone who is not a sports host or journalist and without a background (or with a minimal background) in sports journalism. All I was trying to say by that is that it shows that Galloway's career trajectory has expanded beyond the morning drive show (in support of Andrea's point), and that the CBC obviously thinks highly of him and his abilities (which he has proven, as Wisla notes) to have reached outside of CBC Sports to give him such (what I imagine to be) a plumb assignment.

Wasn't he the sports guy on Metro Morning before he did Here and Now?

Ah, no, you're thinking of Kevin Sylvester, who was also great. Kevin used to fill in as host of Metro Morning and Here & Now, largely around the same time that Matt was on Here & Now and himself filling in on occasion for Andy Barrie in the morning (and, IIRC, Matt eventually became the "permanent" Metro Morning fill-in host on Fridays when Andy cut back to 4 days a week). I understand Kevin slowly stepped back from radio to devote more time to writing and illustrating kids books, but I believe Kevin Sylvester still pops up now and then on CBC as a guest host.

It took me a long time to warm up to Scott Regehr after Kevin completely stopped doing sports on Metro Morning, but now I am quite happy with Scott and am annoyed when someone else is filling in for him.

And I just figured out that my references to "plumb assignment" should have been "plum assignment". Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking with "plumb".
Drawing a proper vertical line? I'm sure the CBC has someone to do that, and it would be a cushy job.

I was sure he did sports for one of those shows, but my memory is clearly not perfect.

Back