Toronto MEC Queen Street (Mountain Equipment Coop) | 21.03m | 3s | Parallax | Sweeny &Co

The benches there are longer than those on the Osgoode lawn and more comfortable to sleep on. Its always better to sleep up off the damp ground if you can, and they seem to be able to leave their stuff there during they day more or less securely. I'm not aware of the Government or Law Society security ever having had anyone charged with tresspassing for sleeping on the lawn. You do know that there are two dinners and two breakfasts for homeless people at Osgoode Hall every week, don't you? It's not a place where the homeless are feared.

I'm sure MEC will build a new green roof here, but it would be great if they opened it up to the public with some benches or something (of course with armed guards to keep out Those People who make sunnyraytoronto feel unsafe).

More deplorable, fact-free-fantasy from Sunnyray. Anything to support these garbage claims?

Strange that whenever I walk through the park - or anywhere in the area for that matter - I witness none of the above. In fact, on sunny days Grange Park is often packed with children and parents / caregivers who animate the space with loud and lively play. Moreover, what you've 'described' as 'drug dealing' has more in common with with fear-mongering, Reagan-era, 80's cop shows than reality.

Wow, some folks here really love shooting the messenger,... shoot all you want but that doesn't solve the problem!

You go there on sunny days,... but would you actually go to Grange Park at in the evening or at night?

Hmmm,.... who could I get to support my "garbage claim" that Grange Park is a haven for criminal activity,.... how about some of the local cops?
'Tiny parks like New Glasgow Parkette behind Chinatown and larger “small†parks, like Grange Park behind the Ontario College of Art and Design, keep downtown cops busy with drug activity, liquor law infractions and park sleepers.'
'“It’s off the beaten path. It’s not in the middle of the road. It’s easier to hide,†Toronto police Const. Eon MacFarlane says of downtown parks he patrols on bike.'
'“I guess it’s somewhat of a breeding ground (for crime) because it is out of the way and it’s a place for undesirable activity to happen. But I don’t think any parks are void of this.â€'
'In addition to being hidden, “the lighting might be out or something, or during the summer, the shrubs might not be cut back as far as we would like,†says Staff Sgt. Frank Besenthal. “They’ll go to the park at night and they’ll consume whatever they have, whether it’s drugs, whether it’s liquor and sometimes, you find the empty aerosol spray cans. … There’s intravenous drug use. There is also prostitution. There’s noise.â€'
'For some parks, the problems go on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. “But it gets worse at night time because it’s under the cover of darkness,†Besenthal says.'
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/65882/parks-often-a-criminals-playground/

Grange Park proximity to negative elements from Queen Street West, Entertainment District, OCAD, etc,... makes it a troublespot for crime. In addition the design of Grange Park makes it more problematic for regular police patrol in that it's blocked off from the north by AGO, blocked off from east by OCAD, blocked off in the south by University Settlement and appartment building, and from the west there's a line of fence along Beverley - this limit access points to Grange Park and makes it easy for criminals to keep an eye on access points for cops.

Part of the problem with Grange Park is it's current design,... now there's an opportunity to redesign the park so it's more functional and safer!
http://grangeparktoronto.ca/

Now, if there's a public space to be built at the north-west corner of Queen Street West and Soho,.... it probably won't be a crime troublespot like Grange Park in that it's along a high traffic artery like Queen Street West,... don't even get me started on Trinity Bellwood Park ;p Anyways, any public space at this location would have to be well designed to be functional and safe with good urban design streetscape principles.

BTW, 6m boulevard on Soho won't be anywhere close to enough to correct the offset intersection of Peter-Soho at Queen.

I have already stated that MEC needs no zoning amendments to go ahead, nothing that will require community consultations.

I have also already stated that there will be a 6-metre-wide boulevard along the east side of the side bordering Soho Street. Something public will be put in place there, but we don't know what yet. Not sure if cash-in-lieu for parkland funds will be used to improve it. That you can call Joe Cressy's office about.

Anything else is a waste of people's time. MEC is going ahead with a store here and are just lining up everything they need for their permits.

The City really needs to negotiate with MEC (or whoever the current landowner is) to establish a right-of-way that enables them to fix the Queen/Soho/Peter intersection. It's a broken hot mess of an intersection since their last efforts to improve it, leaving pedestrians and drivers confused and frustrated for the past year or so. And because of that, I believe it's also more dangerous than it was before they made their changes. Realignment is by far the most reasonable solution, and this is the last chance we have for that to happen.

With that done, the City can shift their focus to fixing the 'fixes' they imposed on other intersections in the area... (Wellington & Portland, I'm looking at you)

Sadly, the #2 post on this thread dating from early 2012 (before the City made a bad intersection worse) by user jn_12 showed us all the way - even doubling the Black Bull pub terrace seating to demonstrate how beneficial widening the east side of Soho would be for both local businesses and Queen West sidewalk culture - but instead we've only gone backwards...

And one final thought: what happens to the Hug Me Tree and all the sidewalk vendors and buskers that populate the wide sidewalk along that stretch of Queen? I'm not sure MEC would (or should) tolerate all that along their prime frontage, but I think losing those aspects of the sidewalk culture of Queen (or displacing it to the widened but out-of-the-way Soho Street around the corner) would really harm its spirit of place.

I have already stated that MEC needs no zoning amendments to go ahead, nothing that will require community consultations.

I have also already stated that there will be a 6-metre-wide boulevard along the east side of the side bordering Soho Street. Something public will be put in place there, but we don't know what yet. Not sure if cash-in-lieu for parkland funds will be used to improve it. That you can call Joe Cressy's office about.

Anything else is a waste of people's time. MEC is going ahead with a store here and are just lining up everything they need for their permits.

Why not closed Soho south of Bulwer St. Use the road allowance and the 6 m strip to create a small square. Together with the Black Bull sidewalk that seems like enough for a sense of place. It's not the Grande Place I admit, but it does already come with patio seating!

Grange park is really pretty safe. I went to OCADU (for too damn long) and my partner works at the AGO I have and still do spend a lot of time in that park, sure there are some homeless people and art students smoking weed from time to time, but there are also people doing yoga and tai chi, and families playing, and people playing with their dogs. Honestly even the weirdos that frequent the park are pretty pleasant.

I know this grange park rant is off topic but honestly... it needs some defending its a nice park that appeals to a large range of people.

A green-roof maybe. It would be super cool if it was connected to a Highline type park or an actual ski hill so people could test out their equipment outdoors before buying them. Snowshoeing on Queen St I guess would have to suffice.

I'm sure they'll have a green roof, but I'm almost equally as sure that, like the green roof at their current King St location, it won't be open to the public.

Archaeological investigations under way?

IMAG0658.jpg
IMAG0661.jpg
IMAG0662.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0658.jpg
    IMAG0658.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,303
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,281
  • IMAG0662.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 1,364
This strip of Queen has been made a Heritage Conservation District, and there are therefore restrictions on how tall one can build here.

Back