Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Early tomorrow morning, the 3-metre thick raft slab will begin to be poured in a process that will last around 12-14 hours and involve over 300 concrete trucks. The giant funnel pictured below will be an integral part of the process:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,814
Do you know if that bridge over the site will be open tomorrow if we want to go watch? It was blocked off the day the crane was installed in behind a few weeks ago.

300 trucks? I cannot even imagine what that will look like. Where will they line up? Just in a constant rotation?
I will need to walk by. 9 trucks and I'm usually like - wow that's a lot. Hell 4 and I think that.

300 trucks? I cannot even imagine what that will look like. Where will they line up? Just in a constant rotation?
I will need to walk by. 9 trucks and I'm usually like - wow that's a lot. Hell 4 and I think that.
What makes you think they will have 300 different trucks? Concrete needs to be used within x hours so I assume there may be 30 or 40 trucks (maximum) making multiple runs from the concrete plants and any line of trucks will be fairly small.

What makes you think they will have 300 different trucks? Concrete needs to be used within x hours so I assume there may be 30 or 40 trucks (maximum) making multiple runs from the concrete plants and any line of trucks will be fairly small.

You can always make construction sound impressive with various stats and figures, but the reality is that many projects right now require large amounts of materials and labour. Even if it is just 40 trucks doing several trips to and from the plant, 300 truckloads is a lot of concrete.

Last edited:
One thing for sure is that, #greatbigtorontoraftslabpour will go down in local construction history.

p.s. it could be just 10 trucks going back and forth 30 times and really fast, too. I'd be careful on the roads tomorrow, children.

They were lined up on Shuter St. across from St. Mike's in the past hour. I don't see them anymore though. I guess it's begun already.

Does anyone know the estimated time this building will top out?

Without giving you a time frame I would suggest, considering they are just today pouring the slab, that perhaps you should consider the expression "patience is a virtue". Translation: it's going to take quite some time!

At 60 storeys plus underground and more complicated podium floor plates you are looking at an absolute minimum of approx 1 week per floor so somewhere beyond a year from now...

On a more… current view, I hope someone got some more pictures or video of today's pour!!

Why do you think that it's going to take a half a year for the foundation? Is it because of the cold winter that's coming up that will slow things down. I think maybe one to three months if the weather cooperates. And the total project might be top off in about a year and a half if things go well.

Back