Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

I would call you a cynic but I'm even more jaded. I've seen these new towers and, drama in the sky aside, they offer f__k-all in terms of street-level improvements. Normally, they have a huge porte cochere and laneway for cars to turn around in and a gaping garage door entranceway to the underground parking. At the expense of sounding like a NIMBY I'm going to say that our streetscapes are increasingly turning into industrial-sized garages thanks to the condo boom. Just look at Bay street.

If I hadn't been to Miami last fall, and seen what the parking garages are like there, I would never have believed it. Compared to the way that city is being built out, Bay Street is a dream-come-true. Check out things like

274617063_650a3e726d.jpg

So there are a few driveways to cross here - I don't think it's much of a big deal. Plus, we need to provide better transit before everyone will give up their cars. Anyway, if you want a really scary look at Miami, check out the rest of my parking garage set on my Flickr page.

St. Lawrence Market condo + park

"Context comes to St. Lawrence Market! - Context is currently in the design and development phase of its latest condominium project located south of the St. Lawrence Market. This project will feature an elegant point tower at the south end of the site with spectacular lake and city views and a podium building at the north end overlooking a new public park. Stay tuned for more information and pre-registration."

There's a small rendering in the latest Context e-newsletter. Just go to context.ca and click on the latest newsletter edition (Aug/Sept edition).

I guess they haven't posted it yet. I'm on their distribution list for their newsletter. It should be up soon, I think.

At that location with setbacks and the tower abutting the tracks to the south its height may not be too overwhelming for the esplanade area. I think that 'London' building is probably in a more worrisome location with regard to height. For me it's all going to be in the design of the building, especially the treatment of the podium.

I'm not too sure about this one. I'd like to see the design. Low rise would be preferable, but it is on the edge of the neighbourhood.

Enviro, you make excellent points. I also don't particularly care, in most places, if there's a big point tower or whatever above as long as the ground floor level has suitable uses. That must include some public use (retail, restaurant, etc.), ideally beyond Rabba-Movie-Store-Dry-Cleaners, if it's in a commercial neighbourhood or on a busy street.

I think mandating parking spaces for every condo is one of the most ridiculous rules of all. Why can't the market take care of this? If people want two cars per unit at Scarborough Town, that's fine with me. But if only half the unit owners feel like they want to drive cars, why on earth should they be forced to build more spaces? People buying condos know what the impact of not having a space on their resale value can be. If they still don't want to buy one, that should be celebrated rather than punished. Visitors parking at condos, on the other hand, is invariably woefully inadequate. That's the kind of thing they should be mandating.

I guess they haven't posted it yet. I'm on their distribution list for their newsletter. It should be up soon, I think.

Can you post the rendering? :) I'm just glad, above all, that it's Context handling this site. That's a good thing for sure, in my opinion.

And guys, I'm sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but what will be happening with the small parking lot between the market and this site?

That sounds great! Yay parkland!

Now I really want to see a rendering! :eek: I'm so excited for this design!

As far as the park goes, I think that it is being seen as a more formal, almost boutique space similar to Yorkville Park (prominent water feature, fairly urban)

Back