Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: Residences of Maple Leaf Square - Update/Retail

I really hope Trader Joe's expands north to Canada. Great store.

I agree, though they wouldn't be allowed to sell Two Buck Chuck here.

Taken from the Condo Section in Saturdays Toronto Star:

At Maple Leaf Square (www.mapleleafsquare.com), a condominium being built beside the Air Canada Centre, a 6,000-square-foot daycare is part of the building. There will also be a rooftop garden kids can use as a playground.

Barry Fenton, CEO and president of Lanterra Developments, the developer for the project, says lots of families have been buying suites.

"The reasons families are choosing to live downtown include price sensitivities," says Fenton. "Owning a house in the outskirts is expensive and there is so much downtime spent on the highways commuting.

"Also, people want to be in the city."

Fenton says his company has sold 600 of the 850 units in four months. In his development, families will have access to a Longo's grocery store, Toronto's underground PATH system, and good schools.

The increasing cost of land, along with the growing demand for condos, means unit sizes are not huge, but Fenton says families are not deterred.

They're making it work with two-bedroom units of 750 square feet and three-bedroom units of 1,000 square feet. He even has some families combining two units to make one large suite.

"One family I know of has, I believe, four children and they've bought two units," he says. "They'll knock a wall out between the suites to make one large kitchen and will end up with lots of space."

I wonder if construction will start anytime soon??? They have pretty much sold over 70% (600 of 850 units) between both towers.

Construction is intended to start in late fall or early 2007. The sales have reached a level in which Lanterra, MLSE & CF can proceed however approvals remain outstanding. Once those are in place construction will proceed.

The Office component will primarily be in the southern portion of the podium facing the Gardiner Expressway. This space has not yet been leased. A significant portion of the retal space has been leased, with MLSE having a number of sports themed retail and entertainment and dining facilities.

The interior retail/mall area will be similar to the Eatons Centre with multiple levels of retail and with office space facing into the interior atrium area with glass skylights above, providing natural light during the day.

Construction will take 4 years to complete: Roughly one year to dig down four levels, one year to complete all the underground work, one year to construct the massive podium and one year to complete the two condo towers.

The first tower is in the 85% - 90% sales range and the second tower is approximately 65% sold. Representatives from the development consortium have indicated that while they knew they had a 'special' project, that even they were taken aback by how quickly sales have gone.

There are now several other North American pro sports teams visiting and meeting with MLSE, Lanterra and CF representatives as they are interested in proceeding with similar projects in their cities. I've heard that the Miami Heat and Vancouver Canucks were particularily interested in the Maple Leaf Square concept as it has never been done on this scale in North America before. I can't remember which soccer team it was, but the MLS model was roughly based on something done in England - but with low-rise housing, MLS is obviously an urban approach to enhancing the value of MLSE and working with residential and commerical development partners.

I didn't realize the podium was going to be that big. the area definitely stands to be much improved once completed. thanks for the update.

Isn't waiting 4 years for your building to be completed kind of pushing it?

^ The majority of buyers for this project were investors rather than end users.

But yes, four years is a long time for construction. However as condos are getting taller and the parking garages are getting deeper, construction time-frames are generally going to be getting longer for buyers in the downtown area.

Isn't there still a smallish Zellers at Gerrard Square, and a Wal-Mart at Dufferin Mall still? They're not right downtown, but not too far...

Ikea has been planning a prototype for high streets for the UK, which have a smaller footprint, but carry a lot of the same products as their warehouses. It's still there in the Toronto Retail Thread in Out and About (page 5?). I'd love to see one in downtown Toronto, but with four in GTA, that's more than any other metro in North America. Southern California has four, and Metro NY will soon have four too, I believe. Not too shabby.

Maple Leaf Sqaure wins "Community of the Year"! WOAH!!! Check it...

newhomesandcondos.com/mod...=5/15/2006

Most articles that I read about this project, I keep hearing about the hotel, retail stores, Longo's, restaurants, daycare etc etc. that will be part of the complex.

Why is there never any mention of the supposed "Music Club"? I hope they havent scrapped this concept as I think it was one of the better things going for it.

MikeinTO, you usually have insider info about this project. Any further word on the club??

I haven't heard anything about a music club - just what may be the largest high-tech sports bar in the city. Maybe it'll have a dance floor and count as a music club?

But nothing specifically about a music club. I'll try to dig up some info on it.

High...tech...sports...bar.

Insert Sideshow Bob noise here.

In a previous thread it was mentioned no new dance clubs allowed to open beyond the borders of the Entertainment District as a result of a 1988 bylaw which denies licences. Unless this precinct is considered part of the Entertainment District.

Here is an excerpt of where I first read about the music club in an older article dated in 2005. The second paragraph is where it is mentioned.

"The square will include 2,400 sq. m of upscale restaurant space along with what MLSE calls a "high-tech" sports bar overlooking a broadcast studio. Instead of buying tickets, 600 bar patrons will be able to watch games live on huge, high-definition screens, one of which will be on the wall of the ACC."

"The screens also will be visible to the 2,000 people who can be accommodated in a music club with a dance floor and seating on three levels, where MLSE also plans to book live music acts."

Does that sound cool or what?!? I hope they go ahead with everything as planned...

Maple Leaf Sqaure wins "Community of the Year"! WOAH!!! Check it..

Sure, but I bet it'll be nicer when its actually built.

In a previous thread it was mentioned no new dance clubs allowed to open beyond the borders of the Entertainment District as a result of a 1988 bylaw which denies licences. Unless this precinct is considered part of the Entertainment District.

The Docks opened sometime in the 90's. Doesnt matter, because either way MLSE could disguise a club as a sportsbar or have enough weight for a variance.

Four years to build two towers that proportion...54+49=103
...remember NY Empire State needed 11 months only and all that 65 years ago...not so easy to understand...and accept as the matter of facts >:

Seams to be like we are moving backward instead of forward
in the sense of possibilities, and with all technologies we have now that builders of Empire State could only dream off...

Answers, answers:\ :\ :\

Back