Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: Residences of Maple Leaf Square - Update/Retail

I was thinking the same thing about the Upper West Side and I know that there are many more stores as you continue going higher towards Columbia and Harlem. The density of the residential though, I would think, surpasses most, if not all, Toronto neighbourhoods.

speaking of downtown supermarkets in toronto, we've got another new one coming that hasn't been mentioned on the forum yet. there's going to be a sobey's at yonge and breadalbane (formerly the burger king, they've now vacated the entire building, which also included 1,000,000 Comics next door and some offices above). they're still deciding whether to convert the existing building or to build new

There's a big Whole Foods in Chelsea...

I didn't have a problem finding supermarkets in Manhattan but I must say that I didn't have much luck in Boston.

Boston is trickier...there's not a whole lot of residential in the city itself (mostly in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and South End) and what there is is very, very high end--so there's plenty of artisanal cheese shops, etc., but not much in the way of full-service grocery stores.

I know Manhattan has a lot of small food stores selling gourmet this and that but I saw very few real supermarkets. (I mean the larger style ones) I have been to NYC probably 3 times in the last 5 years and I walk everywhere. If there were supermarkets, they must be hidden in malls or something, not stand alone stores. Hey, when is that new one in Maple Leaf Gardens opening? I never see them doing any construction. I was just at Queens Quay and they are already building the one there. I hope it's not some exspensive, yuppy market. We are going to have a whole lot more choices real soon. What downtown really neads is a big Zellers and an Ikea. I refuse to travel to damn Etobicoke

What downtown really neads is a big Zellers and an Ikea. I refuse to travel to damn Etobicoke

Thanx to the Sheppard subway, the more "transit-accessible" Ikea is the North York one--and they have a little jitney going there from Leslie subway (it'd be more accessible still, by foot, were the RR crossing not closed)

^ But that would make the complimentary shuttle useless!

edit: they need an Ikea downtown just for the restaurant.

re: Ikea

Now that would be a good use for the old Maple Leaf Gardens. Not to mention, it would have been one hoot of a store, thanks to local demographics.

AoD

Does anyone know when this project is up for approval?

Boston is trickier...there's not a whole lot of residential in the city itself (mostly in Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and South End) and what there is is very, very high end--so there's plenty of artisanal cheese shops, etc., but not much in the way of full-service grocery stores.

Yeah Boston is pretty horrible for grocery stores choices, but is improving slowly.

There is a large Shaws supermarket at the Prudential Center, a brand new Whole Foods in Beacon Hill (formerly a pretty bad Stop and Shop) and plans to use existing freed up lands from the Big Dig (burying of the I93 highway) closer to the North End for another large supermarket.

But I would say that Boston does have a very healthy residential population-there is also the north end and the fenway area.

And again with the completion of the Big Dig, the city is even more livable.

Trader Joes just made it's notorious arrival (people lined up days before they opened, lineups continuted all the first weekend) in Union Square in NYC.

Plus there are Food Emporiums (Emporia?) all over residential districts. Manhattan has never been a car-oriented supermarket town in the way Toronto is. Manhattanites don't cook at home as much as we do. They go out, or order in much more.

Trader Joes just made it's notorious arrival (people lined up days before they opened, lineups continuted all the first weekend) in Union Square in NYC.

Totally forgot about the Trader Joe's on Boylston in Boston, another grocery store in the downtown core. Smaller store, no alcohol in this one, but always busy.

I really hope Trader Joe's expands north to Canada. Great store.

Hey, did anyone see the rendering of the building in last Saturday's Star? It gives you a better idea of the street presence.

Back