Toronto M5V Condominiums | 118.87m | 35s | Lifetime | Core Architects

Last night:

DSC02977.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02977.jpg
    DSC02977.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 1,504
It's worth remembering that it wasn't supposed to be like this. The original concept had a far more minimized mechanical penthouse:

urbantoronto-779-2427.jpg

The units here also had a laundry list of sloppy deficiencies. The quality of work was far worse than usual (the benchmark is low to begin with).

The units here also had a laundry list of sloppy deficiencies. The quality of work was far worse than usual (the benchmark is low to begin with).

I was looking at a few units here and immediately dismissed the building for that reason.

These sorts of problems aren't unique to Tucker HiRise. Virtually all construction companies have hired under-skilled workers and taken shortcuts that veer from the engineering specs in order to reduce costs or meet deadlines.

Tucker has been involved in some of the best buildings downtown (Great Gulf projects have great reputations), but they've made some pretty big mistakes in a few of those, too.

These sorts of problems aren't unique to Tucker HiRise. Virtually all construction companies have hired under-skilled workers and taken shortcuts that veer from the engineering specs in order to reduce costs or meet deadlines.

Tucker has been involved in some of the best buildings downtown (Great Gulf projects have great reputations), but they've made some pretty big mistakes in a few of those, too.

Yea...they all pretty much stink. But this building is some of the worst I've seen.

Thanks for your thoughts. Skilled workers shortage is a problem during boom time. Perhaps, it's best to wait for market to cool off. Also prices will be lower too. This crazy hot market can not be sustained!

That might seem prudent, but you'll probably end up spending a significant chunk of your time on earth stuck in rental purgatory. The market isn't irrational; there are complex, measurable factors driving it. Evaluate each unit individually, talk to people who live in the building, have your realtor/lawyer examine the reserve fund status, and hire a home inspector.

The building isn't brand new, and hopefully the problems will have been resolved by the original owners. One quirk that I recall with this building is that buyers were able to customize their floor plans, so you might see some interesting layouts, especially if you can find one that was purchased by an architect or design student.

Last edited:
That might seem prudent, but you'll probably end up spending a significant chunk of your time on earth stuck in rental purgatory. The market isn't irrational; there are complex, measurable factors driving it. Evaluate each unit individually, talk to people who live in the building, have your realtor/lawyer examine the reserve fund status, and hire a home inspector.

The building isn't brand new, and hopefully the problems will have been resolved by the original owners. One quirk that I recall with this building is that buyers were able to customize their floor plans, so you might see some interesting layouts, especially if you can find one that was purchased by an architect or design student.
Good thing I got lots of time on my hand :) For the price of a decent condo, I could buy a nice castle in Europe somewhere ;)
Remember a few years ago when the price of a barrel of oil went to almost $150 and they said it's going up further. It's now around $40 a barrel. Wait till all these foreign speculators all head for the exit door at the same time.... that's when I will be buying :)

Back