Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

On this point- are there any plans to widen the sidewalks of Harbour Street? Plant some trees? Improve the pedestrian realm? It is going to be an actual street now so would be nice to see some investment in making it pleasant to navigate by foot.
Answered my own question- page two shows the schematic plan and section. Sidewalk is widened on the north side of Harbour.

IMG_0812.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0819.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 149
My panorama didn't post very well since I only had my phone handy to reduce the filesize. Here it is, from earlier today:

IMG_0819 (Custom).JPG

Agreed that as of today the area felt totally different. I felt lost and confused for a second, honestly, and I used to live nearby and go through here often.

Attachments

• IMG_0819 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0819 (Custom).JPG
    780.8 KB · Views: 334
My panorama didn't post very well since I only had my phone handy to reduce the filesize. Here it is, from earlier today:

View attachment 109477

Agreed that as of today the area felt totally different. I felt lost and confused for a second, honestly, and I used to live nearby and go through here often.

I knew that they were demolishing this too fast for it to be real. There's a glitch in the Matrix!!

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.18.55 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.18.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.18.55 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Almost all the ramps on the Gardiner could stand to be a lot shorter. Some drag on forever. Like the Jarvis offramp and the on ramp at Jarvis. They could all be redone as quick little thing.

The area around the Jarvis ramp will be reconfigured to fix the Yonge/Lakeshore intersection and there's word that the Bay Street ramp will be eliminated. That sounds like a good opportunity to rebuild the Jarvis ramp to either end at Bay or Yonge.

A lot of space can be reclaimed from the needlessly long ramps that's were built for a deserted area, not a dense city. The elevated Gardiner would actually be quite tolerable. It's the ramps that make it hostile to pedestrians.

Jarvis ramp may come down a Yonge St between Bay and Yonge, eliminating the Bay St East 'on' ramp. The configuration would be similar to the new Simcoe ramp. There are plans for this at the City of Toronto but no decisions or confirmation at this time. The Bay St East 'on' ramp is extremely dangerous for pedestrians walking south on Bay St. The curve of the ramp configuration encourages cars to be 'at speed' travelling north on Bay Street before they get to the actual ramp, which of course crosses a heavily used pedestrian area.

Unreal how much this has opened up the area. It's almost unrecognizable. I'm generally a supporter of improve/maintain/hybrid Gardiner, but if there's any case made for tearing the old girl down east of Yonge, it's the last few pages of images.

Almost all the ramps on the Gardiner could stand to be a lot shorter. Some drag on forever. Like the Jarvis offramp and the on ramp at Jarvis. They could all be redone as quick little thing.

I think they had to install a deicing system for the new shortened ramp.

Where's the Gardiner "isn't a barrier" crowd?

And this is just an off-ramp - not even the full width of the expressway.

AoD

The only concern with shortening an off ramp is that when you have a lot of traffic exiting, the line up could back up on to the main highway and cause significant delays (Jarvis off ramp is an example).

Back