Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

TdE3zBO.jpg

I’m a big supporter of sidewalk patios and all the life and energy they inject into city streets. This, on the other hand, does the opposite. Here they’ve built up a fence around 6’ high so that patrons of their private members club don’t suffer the indignity of being seen by the public while they sip their drinks on public property.
If you don’t want to be gawked at, just move to the rooftop! Not sure how this is at all legal (if it is).
B874F111-ABC9-4E0F-93A5-1F17E6269E3A.jpeg

I think more streetside patios would benefit from doing the same
I don't know if that's sarcasm or not but there is something to be said about seeing people out on the streets. With Toronto's ugly downtown architecture, the people are what makes the city beautiful and full of life, the energy that's felt contributes to the public realm imo and you can't experience that with barricades.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not but there is something to be said about seeing people out on the streets. With Toronto's ugly downtown architecture, the people are what makes the city beautiful and full of life, the energy that's felt contributes to the public realm imo and you can't experience that with barricades.
...from the individual's past posting record, I'm pretty sure it wasn't sarcasm. /sigh

Many street side patios are not very pleasant to dine or hang out in due to the traffic, noise and pollution from cars and here is no exception. Adelaide has very little street life and gets a ton of traffic and the cars often queuing before the intersection at University is annoying, but this tall wood fence is pretty obnoxious and brutal and makes the sidewalk and street even more unpleasant and forbidding.
The City should prevent this kind of patio barrier from happening as it does nothing to positively contribute to the streetscape and community.

Back