Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

After extensions of almost 2 months, the tender finally closed.

The bids are from lowest to highest:

$238,339,600.00 - Pomerleau Inc
$238,678,600.00 - EllisDon Corporation
$241,955,945.00 - Carillion Construction Inc.
$254,085,213.00 - Walsh Construction Company
$256,291,391.00 - PCL
$271,307,240.00 - Elite Construction Inc.
$271,307,240.00 - OHL Construction Canada Inc
$282,515,613.00 - AECON
$287,088,963.44 - Aquicon Construction Co. Ltd.
$287,088,963.44 - Black & McDonald Limited

Lots of bidders there! I'd assume the 2 identical bid amounts are linked somehow.

The low bid from Pomerleau is interesting. Have they done much work in Toronto before? They are primarily a Montreal-based company, which is a bit disconcerting given how corrupt the construction industry in Montreal is. The comparison of their bid to Ellis Don is interesting; the bids are very close, and both are rounded to $600. Some kind of joint bid with a clerical error?

Last edited:
I'd take EllisDon over some corrupt Montreal firm! Do they have to go with the lowest bidder in this case?

If there aren't any qualifications in the bid process that the lowest bidder cannot meet then they would have to go with the lowest bidder. I wonder why the process was extended so many times.

The Quebec inquiry into construction corruption is yet to begin. Do you have privileged information or is this just defamation?

Quebec construction firms could save the Province the money of an inquiry by suing Coruscanti Cognoscente and disproving the allegation. But I suspect they would prefer to have everyone's hands washed by an inquiry that grants immunity in exchange for testimony, and pays the lawyers too. I wonder why that is?

Quebec construction firms could save the Province the money of an inquiry by suing Coruscanti Cognoscente and disproving the allegation. But I suspect they would prefer to have everyone's hands washed by an inquiry that grants immunity in exchange for testimony, and pays the lawyers too. I wonder why that is?

Just like I wonder how the Empress hotel burned down...

John Gomery might not have sent very many people to prison, but he did send Paul Martin into retirement.

To digress from this off topic conversation ... Last month I flew to Calgary and saw Martin at Toronto airport, then Joe Clark in Calgary airport. Both were alone, zero security or entourage. Wonderful country we live in.

Knock on wood as Budget 2012 isn't through Council yet, but I am still amazed the Fords didn't even attempt to kill the streetcar replacement project. Miller must have made sure there was one heck of cancellation fee.

TTC is reporting the contract still hasn't been awarded. Byford indicates that "staff await site plan approval, which will trigger release of the building permit. City and TTC staff are working with local councillors to resolve outstanding issues and thereby, facilitate site plan approval." - http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...rch_30/Minutes_Other/CEO_REPORT_PERIODS_1.pdf

Thank you Councillor McMahon ... perhaps you can stop being a NIMBY now.

Back