Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

They are taking it over because the frontage is all to be of one piece, not because anyone fears another crane saga. Not sure that Somerville will necessarily be the contractor however.

As has been stated several times, the crane is all tied up with getting the tower's building maintenance unit installed, something that has proven to be far more complicated than had been anticipated, and has zero bearing on expectations related to the landscaping of the plaza. 42

I realise that the crane is there for a reason but it is an example of the builders not finishing things off and failing to plan properly; the siding (and it DOES look like siding!) along the north side of the L-Tower at the 'plaza" is still not finished, there are missing pieces of siding beside the Yonge Street sidewalk, they have not yet installed the glass over the Yonge Street sidewalk and the streetlights they are supposed to be reinstalling on Yonge and the new ones on The Esplanade are still not there. IMO, the failure to get the plaza finished is just another example of poor planning and/or execution on the exterior of this building and from other posts here the inside is no better.

True enough, but two years after the building was substantially complete is a bit ridiculous, and this looks like weak planning/execution by the builder no matter how you look at it. Maybe it's best the city is involved if there doesn't appear to be movement on completion. Many here are quick to defend developers, no matter what they do, it seems. Personally, this has been disappointing as I have always held Cityzen in high esteem for their design choices and execution.

Sept 30

IMG_8513.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8513.JPG
    IMG_8513.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 1,625
Hey, guys. Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyone know when they're going to take down this crane?
I think even the developers do not know! After many unrealised promises the construction website now reads: "The external crane at the L Tower (seen below) has one more major job to do, lifting a temporary crane apparatus to the top of the building. Once there, the temporary crane will be used to put the permanent window washing platform in place. When this work is completed the large tower crane will be taken down. We will be providing updates on this here as information becomes available."

There's been a lot of issues with leakage from the window-wall in this building. You'll also notice the sheer amount of caulking and ill-fitting pieces / joins between materials.

This is what happens when you try to make certain materials do things they don't want to (aluminum/glass). No surprise that the ROM had many of the same issues.

I had my eye on this development as I was looking to purchase in another Cityzen project (the new pier 27 tower), but after seeing the boondoggle that this has turned in to, I have very little confidence in this developer. It's really quite unfortunate and I feel bad for the people that are impacted.

After renting extensively throughout downtown Toronto, I can't fathom anything stupider than purchasing a condo that is not yet built (if you actually care about living in it).

Oct 15:
A nice Niagara Escarpment backdrop
ltower.JPG
ltower1.JPG

Attachments

• ltower.JPG
    ltower.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 896
  • ltower1.JPG
    ltower1.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 889
Last edited: