Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Someone posted this picture to reddit with the title 'L Tower fire?'

yjWf8GN.jpg

It's potato quality and I don't see a fire...

If this bit of steam and a red light has people thinking there's a fire, then the city will look ablaze with 'smoke' this weekend! After record warmth, Old Man Winter is going to muscle his way in with extreme cold and windchill reminiscent of Family Day weekend 2015. There will be steam galore rising from the rooftops Saturday and Sunday.

Attention keen photogs: Looks like an interesting photo opportunity if you bundle up. We should have relatively rare Arctic Sea Smoke (google it) on the harbour Saturday and Sunday mornings. Should be interesting to see the city and harbour from the Portlands / Polson St.

Attachments

• IMG_5219_zpssc380wk9.jpg
    IMG_5219_zpssc380wk9.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_5221_zpsd5lqtyjx.jpg
    IMG_5221_zpsd5lqtyjx.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,161
I love the way the skyline is shaping up. It's exciting every time I get to see it from a new angle like that. Imagine in a few more years with all the lower Yonge and Bay projects filling in to the few remaining holes here!

A lot of negative talk about the L-Tower - its persistent problems, at grade and within. And then there's the omni-present tower crane that seems to have taken up permanent residence, at least for the time being. Despite all of its trials and tribulations, to me L-Tower remains one of Toronto's most distinctive and classic towers - a great addition to our skyline. There's nothing extravagant about it, and I think that's what makes its so impactful for me. The simple curvilinear shape of the building is striking, and so unlike any other tall building in this city. You can poke holes at its finer details, or lack thereof, but from a distance it's remarkably elegant. I think a lot of people find it quite pleasing to look at, yet evocative at the same time. I'm glad its there. Now that I've become accustomed to it being a fixture on the horizon, I can't imagine this view without it.

L-Tower tonight from dusk to dark...

The form of the tower is great (minus the base), but that's it. It's the cheap cladding and poor attention to detail that ruins what could have been a spectacular tower. I can't even call it good (overall) because the window wall, spandrel and ground level are so bloody awful. The loss of the boot is also unfortunate.

Back