Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Crane is starting to come down. Remarkable how it removes it's own sections. From what I can tell, they build a collar (it's red) around the crane sections, it slides, and supports the load normally held by each section temporarily as they slide the section out. Then the crane, with the temporary collar forming part of the structure, lowers the old white section. Then the temporary collar slides down to the next section. At least that' show it looks.

Last edited:
Crane is starting to come down. Remarkable how it removes it's own sections. From what I can tell, they build a collar around the crane sections, it slides, and supports the load normally held by each section temporarily as they slide the section out. Then the crane, with the temporary collar forming part of the structure, lowers the section. Then the temporary collar slides down to the next section. At least that' show it looks.

Impossible! The crane can never come down! :)

DSC01656.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01656.JPG
    DSC01656.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,154
Truly the end of an era. Any longer and we'd be arguing for historical status for that thing and suggesting maybe it should stay up there. I wonder if there are any issues for the crane owner having it just sitting up there fairly unused for such a long period.

When the thing is no longer there I'll believe in progress. Moving a whole metre or two is hardly exciting.mbut I'll give to it being some sort of effort to rid the eye soar.

It's not like the building will be without a crane. You have the derrick now and, in ten years, the building maintenance unit crane will be installed.

It's not like the building will be without a crane. You have the derrick now and, in ten years, the building maintenance unit crane will be installed.

A series of gradually smaller cranes will be used until the last one can be carried into the elevator by a worker.

A series of gradually smaller cranes will be used until the last one can be carried into the elevator by a worker.
While that's often the case, in this case, that's not how it's planned to happen. After this derrick installs the building maintenance unit, the BMU will be strong enough to lower the disassembled derrick to the ground piece by piece.

Back