Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

In theory the tower crane climbs itself down rather than needing the derrick to take it down, correct? Maybe, just maybe we're a week or two from have that thing down for good.

I'm hoping for a scenario where they begin to take apart crane #1, realize crane #2 is not strong enough, and then get stuck with 2 cranes on the building. :D

Call these guys they will know what to do.

That huge crane has a hoist height of 245m. They can use it bring down the L tower crane when all else fails.

It's amusing to see the UV-sensitive Blueskin membrane still blowing around in the wind and exposed to direct sunlight. It's been like that for a year.

I'm hoping for a scenario where they begin to take apart crane #1, realize crane #2 is not strong enough, and then get stuck with 2 cranes on the building. :D

I think they will need to come up with another idea if the derrick doesn't work.

silly question: when the derrick is up, and the main crane comes down. How will the derrick be dismantled and brought down? will the maintenance unit be capable of lowering it down?

silly question: when the derrick is up, and the main crane comes down. How will the derrick be dismantled and brought down? will the maintenance unit be capable of lowering it down?
I hope that the contractor/developer has thought of this but they are clearly none too well organised so I think we need to prepare for an unfinished L-Tower for a while yet. (As Modernizt notes above, they could not even get their act together enough to cover up the blue-skin membrane around the base.)

For those who think the assurances from the contractor/developer are worth more than Bombardier delivery dates the latest crane info (April 22) reads:

The tower crane remains in-place as the final work continues on the 60th floor to install the permanent rooftop maintenance unit.

We expect to have more information next week on timelines for the lowering and removal of the tower crane. Please check back for updates.

They seem to have given up on "April" removal....

The derricks are made of smaller sections that have been bolted together, so ideally they just swing the boom over the roof, lay it down, and disconnect everything. For larger derricks they'll build a smaller derrick to take down the first derrick, and then disassemble the smaller one in place.

The derricks are made of smaller sections that have been bolted together, so ideally they just swing the boom over the roof, lay it down, and disconnect everything. For larger derricks they'll build a smaller derrick to take down the first derrick, and then disassemble the smaller one in place.
Right, but: 1) there isn't any room on the temporary platform to lay the disconnected pieces of the derrick down. Can't imagine they'll disconnect the derrick by hand, it's pretty heavy. The main crane should be gone by then. 2) there isn't any room for a smaller derrick on the temporary platform. The only solution seems to be using the maintenance unit to take it apart. How strong is it though...

Today

ltowerIMG_3491.JPG

Attachments

• ltowerIMG_3491.JPG
    ltowerIMG_3491.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,078
Right, but: 1) there isn't any room on the temporary platform to lay the disconnected pieces of the derrick down. Can't imagine they'll disconnect the derrick by hand, it's pretty heavy. The main crane should be gone by then. 2) there isn't any room for a smaller derrick on the temporary platform. The only solution seems to be using the maintenance unit to take it apart. How strong is it though...

Yeah, the tower crane was needed to erect the platform and derrick. I don't see how they would remove it without the tower crane. The lift and tear down shouldn't take that long.

Yeah, the tower crane was needed to erect the platform and derrick. I don't see how they would remove it without the tower crane. The lift and tear down shouldn't take that long.
You may be correct if competent folk were involved - however, after all their mis-steps and missed deadlines it is hard to have any confidence in the L-Tower guys.

I know. I just look at the real estate being occupied by the derrick and platform and think this cost saving measure maybe a fool's choice.

It's really the only option at this point, the building maintenance unit was built in pieces that are heavier than the tower crane can lift

Back