Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

Check out the new site plan with NO FRILLS as the primary retail tenant incorporated into the retail floor plate. (pg 2 of pdf).

http://firstgulf.com/pdfs/333-King-Site-Plan.pdf

I personally would like to see a large gym move into the building (i.e. unit 4 or combining units 5,6,7,8). Similar to the Goodlife in the King Street West village.

It would service the east st Lawrence, Distillery area and Corktown.

EDIT: Grammar.

Last edited:
I, for one, will be very happy to see a No Frills so close to the Distillery, which is where I live. I use so many of the PC products that it will be great to have them close at hand. While I enjoy the huge selection and 'upscale' feel of the Queen's Quay Loblaws, and cringe at the gaudy yellow trademark colour of No Frillsstores along with
their unimaginative decor, I'll welcome lower prices for quality food.

I'd be happy to see the No Frills move in as well. I think it will kill Sobey's business outright though. I find the Sobeys at this location isn't very well managed (pricing is always off, stock, etc). Also, an affordable low priced grocery store will do a lot better than a high end one in this particular area.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 221001 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 15, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations for retail purposes. Tenant - "No Frills". See active BLD permits.

Thank you for the planning info. I mistakenly assumed that No Frills would be moving into the section of the building on the Berkley Street side. By these plans it appears to me that they'll be actually 'adding a large building' at Front & Princess Streets.

Thank you for the planning info. I mistakenly assumed that No Frills would be moving into the section of the building on the Berkley Street side. By these plans it appears to me that they'll be actually 'adding a large building' at Front & Princess Streets.
Where did you see that they'll be adding a structure?

I, for one, will be very happy to see a No Frills so close to the Distillery, which is where I live. I use so many of the PC products that it will be great to have them close at hand. While I enjoy the huge selection and 'upscale' feel of the Queen's Quay Loblaws, and cringe at the gaudy yellow trademark colour of No Frillsstores along with
their unimaginative decor, I'll welcome lower prices for quality food.

The Loblaws at the Quay often has sale-priced goods that are cheaper than the same products at my local No Frills in Riverdale Plaza. They're not always promoted on the flyers, but if you check the shelves you can find these great half price deals and they sometimes run for weeks.

Where did you see that they'll be adding a structure?

Based on what I see in that new PDF there is no new structure. The No Frills will be located at the southwest portion of the building, closest to Front and Princess, where there are currently rows of shipping bays. I assume the bays will be converted to glass windows and doors, as this is where the "main entrance" is marked. Not sure how I feel about the parking lot being so prominent (in fact is appears as if all customers will have to walk across it to enter and exit, very suburban) but I guess in the scale of the overall site the lot is small. Also I notice the ramp remains there for underground parking.

Overall this should be a great addition to the neighbourhood, I still hope that the Sobey's and No Frills can coexist but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't find Sobey's prices to be that much higher than other downtown groceries. I recognize much of the same staff there as from when it opened 3 or so years ago. Their biggest problem is the small size of the building: because they don't have much room to stock more than one brand of some items, when they run out of that brand temporarily there is no alternative and your dinner plans are thrown into disarray!

Last edited:
Thanks for the 'heads up' re: Queen's Quay Loblaws. I'll go there more often to look for deals.

I mistakenly thought that the area mapped out for No Frills store was in the parking lot area (SW corner of Front & Princess), Now I see that it's actually part of the existing building.

Last edited:
If you look at the homepage of http://333kingstreet.com/ (top right hand corner) there is a rendering of a new building that is currently a small Sun parking lot close to King and Berkeley Street.

It would certainly make sense to fill-in that parking lot to the east of their building on King Street but they have not put in any applications to do this. It is a rendering - that may or may not ever be realised!

It's just interesting that it is on the front page of their website.. At the very least, it is part of their grand master plan.

And yes, it would be at the very least, five years away I would think.

It's just interesting that it is on the front page of their website.. At the very least, it is part of their grand master plan.

And yes, it would be at the very least, five years away I would think.

Actually I think they were trying to pre-lease this a while back, a 500,000 square foot building - maybe I'm mistaken but I'm sure I saw it on a listing, can't see it anymore. Probably very long term plan.

Back