Toronto King + Condos | 53.03m | 17s | King Plus | TACT Architecture

I think “the wall” presents a great opportunity to turn a major design flaw (and that’s putting it mildly) into a fabulous public art feature for all Torontonians. I lament the loss of the wall mural that used to be on the south wall of the Toronto Sun building facing Front Street East. In 1991 the Toronto Sun commissioned John and Alexandra Hood to hand paint the mural titled “History as Theatre - 200 Toronto years”. The mural showcased 32 vignettes highlighting historic and contemporary episodes from the city’s first 200 years. It took the brother and sister team two years to complete the project.

I’d love to see a similar large mural covering the upper half of 251 King Street East's east wall. I’m not suggesting that the mural should replicate John Hood’s Toronto bi-centennial mural, but that wouldn’t be such a bad thing, and if it did, it would return an iconic art piece to east downtown residents. Painting it on site by hand would be impractical and too time consuming, but there’s no reason why it couldn’t be painted off site in sections and erected all at once. The mural could be illuminated in the evenings (until say 10:00 pm) with appropriate downlighting so as not to disturb the residents of The East Condos that face it.

I don’t believe the condo building has been registered yet, so for the time being, the east wall still belongs to the developer, and they have full control over how it’s finished. Perhaps a local corporate sponsor like Coca-Cola, or, more appropriately, Toronto Sun Media, or even George Brown College, could commission the mural as a gift to the city and in return have advertising displayed at the bottom right corner of the wall nearest to King Street. The advertising revenue could provide regular income for the condo corporation, or to the developer who might want to retain the signage rights. A large colourful mural (that tells a story) would really animate that one block stretch of King between Princess and Sherbourne.

Colour is good, but not too colourful, please.
I had to live facing this in Santiago, Chile, for almost a year, and let me tell you, it takes its toll.

12193_9299_182072300.jpg

It has since been replaced by this.

ekekos-de-inti-en-bellas-artes-1-%c2%a9-andrea-manuschevich-para-plataforma-urbana.jpg

The colours are easier to take in the second one, but the cartoonishness reminds me of those old Love Is comics. Cloying and mawkish. Yuck.

I don't love those murals, but at least there is an attempt to do something bold in Santiago. They look like something you'd see in Wynwood (Miami) or Berlin. Toronto's murals are usually some "olde-time" scene or something leaf-and-or-tree inspired. Look at all the crap we've covered the electrical boxes with: hack paintings that look like the chintz at Grandma's Bed & Breakfast. Or the mural on the Westin Conference centre: a watery horizon with some ugly scribbles on it (dream-catchers?)... Complete and utter sh*t. But this is Toronto... Heaven forbid anyone be OFFENDED by anything!!

As horrible as the huge grey wall is, I actually prefer that cladding to the cheap fake brick yellow precast they used on the south side of the building.

Reactions: DSC
Thanks for the photos slicecom. What they show is how valuable it is to maintain the original building and masonry when developing around an old building. That "feel" that the building provides to the neighbourhood and context of telling a neighbourhood's story cannot be replicated when you take it apart and build it back up again.

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. Need to see how they finish the existing building before making any judgements.

The little details like finishing the lobby, cleaning up some of the exterior. I don't like how the mouldings are different colors. Need to finish the north side of the new building too. Aside from the entries I don't see anything all that special about the old facade. Is it better than a lifeless glass wall? Yes, but that shouldn't be the measuring stick.

From yesterday:

DSC08901.jpg
DSC08902.jpg
DSC08903.jpg
DSC08904.jpg

DSC08905.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08901.jpg
    DSC08901.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC08902.jpg
    DSC08902.jpg