Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

The condo building itself is just okay; nothing terribly special here. One can only hope that the James Cooper Lobby will be maintained, though. My guess is that it will also include amenity space, possibly featuring the James Cooper Party Room and the the James Cooper Gym.

House Move Schedule

Completion of demolition of the Columbus Hall is set for the end of May. The first move of the Mansion will occur in mid-summer. The final move will happen in the end of the summer. Of course, because of the scale of this project the schedule is tentative.

exterior_beambig.jpg

A bricks and mortar ballet
DAVE LEBLANC
From Friday's Globe and Mail
June 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

When H.G. Wells published The Time Machine in 1895, successful Toronto boot-and-shoe manufacturer James Cooper had already been living at his Sherbourne Street estate for 13 years. Had he and next door neighbour Charles Gooderham (brother of the well known distiller) combined their ample resources to build Mr. Wells's contraption in order to, say, take a trip to 2010, they'd be pleased to find their homes intact.

The shock would come, however, if Mr. Gooderham were asked if he had a reservation (his home is a hotel) and, for Mr. Cooper, with the discovery of a sealed front door sitting much closer to the sidewalk.

And if the sight of the 32-storey tower tucked in behind didn't weaken Mr. Cooper's knees and he was able to peer through his parlour window, he'd spy condo owners enjoying billiards in a swanky amenities space.

Once he figured out what a "condominium" is and, more specifically, an "amenities space," he might well want to thank Tridel Corp. for the extra effort it took in saving his handsome Second Empire home.

He might also tip his top hat in the direction of the home's former owners, the Knights of Columbus (who purchased it from the Keeley Institute in 1910 for a whopping $26,500). In that organization's heritage-loving hands, many of the dwelling's original features have been preserved.

Here, in our present day world of 2008, Mr. Cooper's house is right where he left it, but very soon it will take a little trip of its own. First, it's going to travel backward "five to eight metres" (16 to 26 feet) to facilitate the drilling of caissons, says Tridel project manager Danny Tito; then it will be brought forward to its final resting place about eight feet from the sidewalk.

Responsible for this bricks-and-mortar ballet is Laurie McCulloch, 70. At the age of five, he fell in love with the idea of moving houses when his grandfather took him to see a horse pulling one sitting atop wooden beams. "I said, 'I'm going to do that some day, Grandpa,'" he remembers.

Although Mr. McCulloch has been thinking about Tridel's somewhat more high-tech move since he was brought in to consult two years ago, he had to first wait for the home's basement to be cleared out and for the demolition of the ancillary buildings (one being the popular bingo hall) attached to the rear. He also needed heritage reports from Goldsmith Borgal & Co. Ltd., a firm he has worked with in the past.

"It just snowballs along from there," Mr. McCulloch says, then corrects himself with a laugh: "It doesn't snowball, a snowball goes a little faster. You go to a lot of meetings. I'm dealing with a lot of people who probably have never really been around a building move … so, they're basically at my mercy because I'm the one telling them what they have to do."

And what must be done is complicated indeed. Two massive steel I-beams, running east-west on the site, will be punched through the home's sandstone foundation. Square holes in those beams will allow a complex grid to be created using smaller crossbeams running north-south and short "needle beams" around the ends (the purpose of needle beams wasn't entirely clear to this writer; during a phone interview, Mr. McCulloch admitted it's "the hardest concept for anybody to understand"). Once the massive steel grid is in place, it will be raised using hydraulic jacks so that the weight of the 7,000-square-foot, 800-ton house will be transferred onto it.

With the home now resting a couple of inches or so above its original foundation, the remaining sandstone can be picked out by hand in anticipation of the move.

While most picture a house rolling along on small tires attached to the steel beams, Mr. Cooper's home will be shuffled about the site using rollers, explains Mr. McCulloch. These are thick steel pipes with caterpillar chain on them that resemble the undercarriage of a tank.

Once the house journeys backward some time this summer, it will only take a few hours to reach its temporary parking spot — blink and you'll miss it. Then, a few months later, it will roll forward to its final resting place closer to the sidewalk.

During all of this movement, Mr. Cooper's chandeliers, fireplaces, beautiful hardwood floors, panelling, staircases and windows (with their amazing built-in shutters) will be perfectly safe.

"The difference between that and moving a bungalow is that it's just a bigger building," says Mr. McCulloch. "We move bungalows with furniture and all in them. A year ago we went 67 miles [107 kilometres] with a 1,300-square-foot bungalow."

Tridel's Mr. Tito is so confident things will go smoothly during Mr. McCulloch's phase of the operation that he points to little things instead, such as missing mortar on the exterior, or, inside, missing plaster mouldings and a few ornate radiator covers that will have to be reproduced. "Some may think it's impossible to pick up a heritage house and move it and restore it, so we're going to prove them wrong," he offers, then adds: "It's going to be different."

Different? Certainly, the James Cooper Mansion will become a calling card for Tridel. It may even look better than new when all is said and done. But different? Not so much that a time-travelling Mr. Cooper wouldn't feel right at home.

July 27th

jarvis_mansion1_july27.jpg

jarvis_mansion2_july27.jpg

James Cooper Mansion Supporting Beam Insertion

These are photos I took July 11, 2008 showing how the beams are inserted in preparation for the move of the Mansion.

One of the two east west main support beams where the cross beams will be inserted. These were too heavy to slide in by hand and Bobcat was used to push them along a roller through holes cut through the basement walls.

DSCN1668.jpg

DSCN1744.jpg

The rollers that are used to slide the beams along into place.

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

Lift the beam and swing it across Linden St.

DSCN1710.jpg

DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

Manhandle the beam into position:

DSCN1715.jpg

Get wood beam support for the rollers in place:

DSCN1723.jpg

Detail of what cross beam looks like seated on wooden beam supports and roller:

DSCN1730.jpg

View from inside the basement

DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1736.jpg

Move Date

Thanks, TWM. When is the 'move' date?

Can't say when the first move date is because of the complexity of this project. From my talks with construction we will know roughly the week of the final move but the final day can't be determined within that week. The best thing to do is stay subscribed to this thread.

I don't really care for this tower at all. Hopefully it's one of those rare projects that looks better than the renderings/models.

TridelWM, thanks so much for this, it's quite fascinating to see the process. Though we often lament our many heritage losses in this city, it's good to see a "win" in this case, where so much effort is made to preserve an original structure. Kudos to Tridel for doing this work.

I was walking by the mansion yesterday and asked one the construction workers when the mansion will be moved.
He indicated at the end of the month.

I have no idea if this is for sure, but thought I would inform everyone of my finding.

Mansion Moved!

from today's National Post:

Historic 1881 mansion moved (very slowly) to make room for condos
Posted: September 25, 2008, 10:42 PM by Barry Hertz
City, Real estate

By Danielle Wong, National Post

The historic James Cooper Mansion shifted more than 20 feet from where it had nestled for more than a century, but those walking by yesterday could barely notice.

“What’s going on here?†one woman said while the 7,000-square-foot building was sliding over several feet as she spoke.

The mansion just south of Bloor and Sherbourne streets was moved westward in small increments of about three feet per minute, and it took more than three hours to complete the journey.

For Laurie McCulloch, it was his largest project to date — and heaviest.

The 950-tonne mansion, which was built by shoe manufacturer James Cooper in 1881 and sold to the Knights of Columbus in 1910, was being moved to permit site excavation for the foundation of a four-level underground parking garage that will be part of a new Tridel condominium.

As part of the agreement to purchase the land and building, the developer respected the city’s request to preserve the heritage home.

The drafting process for a project to allow that preservation took five months, and the final plan sounds easier than it really is, said architect Philip Goldsmith of Goldsmith Borgal and Company Ltd. Architects.

“It’s simple in concept but difficult in practice.â€

Basically, the team constructed a massive steel carriage on wheels that could be slipped under the building. The crew had already taken out the basement, allowing the carriage to “act as super duper house trailer,†Mr. Goldsmith said.

Winch lines extending from two tow trucks tugged at the beams supporting the mansion while rollers set on top of wooden cribs, which were positioned along the length of the house, enabled the massive building to slide over.

The margin for error? Half an inch of deflection was all they could afford, or the house would crack, Mr. Goldsmith said.

A crowd of neighbours and passersby had stopped to watch the process, many with camcorders and cellphone cameras.

One quiet observer was Art Kielley, who worked as a custodian at the James Cooper Mansion for more than 40 years before retiring just three months ago.

“Inside ... is very pretty. It’s nicer than the ones they build today,†Mr. Kielley, 75, said, adding he was glad they were preserving the mansion.

“[I have] a lot of memories of big parties here on the weekends.â€

Mr. Goldsmith agreed. “Sherbourne used to be one of the two grand avenues of Toronto ... lined with mansions like this one,†he said. “Not many of them are left, particularly on Sherbourne.â€

So it was particularly important for him personally to keep the house on the street where it was built, the architect said.

Douglas Stewart, who has lived in south Rosedale for about 50 years, said he drives by the house every day and was excited to see it moved.

“It’s such a magnificent building. It would be a shame to see it destroyed.â€

The mansion will remain “parked†for six to eight weeks as the site is excavated, then moved to its final resting spot at the front of the lot facing Sherbourne Street, Mr. McCulloch said.

Tridel purchased the land and building two years ago for about $3.9-million. The simple act of moving it costs about $1-million, said Peter Meneguzzi, director of project management for Tridel.

After stopping and going for a couple hours, the building was finally parked — all in one piece — at 6:30 p.m.

“It feels great ... wonderful,†Mr. McCulloch said, grinning. “This is t. This is the epitome of my career — till we get to the next one.â€

James Cooper Mansion Move

The first move finally took place yesterday. After a few false starts the Mansion finally took it first westward journey. The purpose of the first move is to allow excavation on Sherbourne St. for the underground parking garage and construction of the slab where the Mansion will be pushed back on. in a couple of months the mansion will be pushed back towards Sherbourne St.

DSCN0406.jpg

The Mansion sitting on its steel beams. All the last preparations are being done below ground by Laurie McCulloch's crew.

DSCN0415.jpg

A close up showing the building clear of the old basement walls and the moving crew below.with building resting on wooden cribs and rollers.

DSCN0426.jpg

The beams are being hooked up to two truck winches. You can see Laurie McCulloch in the center in his trademark cowboy hardhat. The wooden cribs are resting on a concrete foundation. As the building moves forward, the rollers and steel plates are taken from behind and moved to the front. The black lines all lead to the jacks that support the house and lock the beams together.

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0436.jpg

To help get the building going a couple of hydraulic jacks are placed on each of the main beams on the east side of the house.

DSCN0438.jpg

One tow truck needs a little help. A bulldozer is recruited for the job and chained to the front of the truck to weight it down.

DSCN0439.jpg

An additional pulley was added to the pulling chain.

DSCN0445.jpg

Only two more feet to go. The most remarkable thing was that there wasn't a squeak or a creak to come out of the old mansion. A testament to the skill and professionalism of Laurie and his men.

James Cooper Mansion Web Cam Before and After

Before - web cam image noon September 25, 2008

1201.jpg

After image - morning of September 26, 2008

after.jpg

I thought the old mansion was being shifted to the east closer to Sherbourne ... but the pics above seem to Tridel shifted the building back westwards .... I am confused ?? :confused:

Back